Tutorial  Updated

How to install Retrix (Retroarch/Libretro port) for Xbox One

Prerequisite - Requires Dev mode to be activated so you can sideloadd apps. If you don't already have it you can find more information here. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-activate-dev-mode-your-xbox-one-console

libretro_logo.jpg

Retrix(LibretroRT) is a massive project aimed at porting all libretro cores to UWP. It currently supports Nes,Snes,Sega Master System,Sega Game gear, Sega CD, sg 1000, Playstation, Gameboy, Gameboy advance, and many more to be ported soon. This guide will cover installing Retrix for your xbox one console.

[1.] Download ProjectPgeasus (If you already have ProjectPegasus this step doesn't apply)
https://github.com/wiired24/ProjectPegasus/raw/master/ProjectPegasusSetup.exe

[2.] Once Installed just open it up and select RetriX. Now just wait for it to download. All you have to do now is Sideload Retrix on to your Xbox One (If you don't know how, follow the full guide here https://github.com/wiired24/ProjectPegasus/blob/master/binaries/Installing APPX Packages.pdf )

[3.] Enjoy! :yayone:

TEcaQY6.png

Retrix brings with it support for local 2 player something we have not had until now. It also opens the floodgates to every single emulator that is currently inside the scope of the libretro project. You can see a full list here https://github.com/libretro

I had been sitting on releasing Retrix for quite a bit now but it has finally reached a point where it is stable enough for release. Credit goes to Albertofustonini for creating and maintaining the Retrix Project. Credit also goes to @kingtut for advocating for a Libretro/Retroarch port for Xbox One. You can follow current development on the official github page https://github.com/Aftnet/LibretroRT

Last edited by wiired24,

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tested FFVII on PC x64 Release Build (No Slowdown)
Xbox One I tried to launch FFVII and it wouldn't even launch

Other than that Marvel vs Capcom and Crash Team Racing both worked although they were both a tad slow

oh ok. I thought you meant that the game works well on xbox one.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

everytime I try to test a game, it tells me this game has some files missing, try to install them in settings

Reactions: ploggy

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
oh ok. I thought you meant that the game works well on xbox one.

everytime I try to test a game, it tells me this game has some files missing, try to install them in settings

Same here lol

Absestos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.aftnet.net
XP
Country
Italy
Mega CD and PlayStation require the console's bios files to work. It's the way those libretro cores are made.

You need to get those files and install them to RetriX via the settings page. It's a one time only thing though.

I am thinking the issues for PlayStation on Xbox may due to low memory: the core loads the whole disk image to RAM, and if indeed apps on the Xbox one are limited to 1GB it may cause the garbage collector to go crazy.

Then again PlayStation runs even slower on PC in debug mode while the other cores are fine, so I may well be wrong

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Mega CD and PlayStation require the console's bios files to work. It's the way those libretro cores are made.

You need to get those files and install them to RetriX via the settings page. It's a one time only thing though.

I am thinking the issues for PlayStation on Xbox may due to low memory: the core loads the whole disk image to RAM, and if indeed apps on the Xbox one are limited to 1GB it may cause the garbage collector to go crazy.

Then again PlayStation runs even slower on PC in debug mode while the other cores are fine, so I may well be wrong
You need to get a Xbox to debug on. Did you talk with the Retroarch team?

EDIT: could someone PM me the winpse10 appx please? I haven't tried it yet.

Last edited by ploggy,

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

My Raspberry PI 3 has 1GB of Ram and it plays PS1 Games perfectly. Only difference is it's using PCSX-ReARMed as the backend. I'm not so sure the 1GB of Ram should cause that kind of limitation for Playstation games but I could be wrong. Another PS1 Emulator WinPSe10 is a PS1 Emulator for Xbox One and it uses PCSX-Reloaded as it's backend and it runs full speed for several games, although it does suffer from save/load issues and audio issues. With that said if another PS1 Emulator already runs at full speed on the Xbox One then It's certainly possible for Beetle PSX to do the same with the right compiler optimizations. I'll reiterate what others have said, you really should ask the libretro crew

Last edited by wiired24,
Reactions: kingtut

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Raspberry PI 3 has 1GB of Ram and it plays PS1 Games perfectly. Only difference is it's using PCSX-ReARMed as the backend. I'm not so sure the 1GB of Ram should cause that kind of limitation for Playstation games but I could be wrong. Another PS1 Emulator WinPSe10 is a PS1 Emulator for Xbox One and it uses PCSX-Reloaded as it's backend and it runs full speed for several games, although it does suffer from save/load issues and audio issues. With that said if another PS1 Emulator already runs at full speed on the Xbox One then It's certainly possible for Beetle PSX to do the same with the right compiler optimizations. I'll reiterate what others have said, you really should ask the libretro crew
Yeah, I do not think that is the problem because ppsspp runs well. and as far as I am aware it needs more processing power.

dominater01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

unless im wrong the speed would get better if you release retail build and not debug unless thats what your doing

jirkawaggon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Well that just depends on alot of factors. @Absestos can only promise something if it's actually doable. Mame, Saturn, Jaguar, Atari are all definitley within reach. PS2 and Gamecube is where it get's dicey

My list of recommended consoles (Mame, Gamecube, PS2, Saturn, Jaguar, Atari 2600 etc) is only for example.
Will be sufficient if the Alberto promise MAME, SATURN, JAGUAR and ATARI 2600.

@Absestos is it possible to edit text on your gofundme campaign as I suggested? I have option to promote your campaign on xboxweb.cz (biggest czech Xbox web pages) and sector.sk (biggest game web page in Slovakia), but there must be link to download of firts version of Retrix.

Last edited by jirkawaggon,

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you know I can already see a clickbait article saying the "xbox one is so underpowered it cant run ps1 games"

Dihards

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Hi,

Thanks for creating this :)

I just got a licence yesterday and I've been experimenting with all the emulators within Retrix and I'm having a blast. How do I get the PSX emulator? It's in the OP but it's not on the menu for the app.

Much appreciated

Edit: Nvm Downloaded the new version, thanks again! :yay:

Last edited by Dihards,
Reactions: wiired24

Absestos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.aftnet.net
XP
Country
Italy
@jirkawaggon, @wiired24 I have edited the text in the gofundme campaign. Think it's ok now?

Of course, I want to add as many systems as I can - MAME kind of worries me since:
  • It's a huge codebase, much bugger than the average core I'd bet - if changes are needed it could be painful
  • Even the Libretro project hasn't fully integrated it (no save state support for example)
  • Some projects that build on top of Retroarch launch MAME instead of running it within Retroarch itself, if I remember right
With regards to other suggestions like PS2/GameCube: as much as I want them myself, these cores are not even fully functional in Libretro itself - really don't think it's possible in the short to medium term.

I've also edited the forum signature with received amounts so far recommended, and I'm trying to start a dialog with the Libretro community.

Finally I wanted to ask: do you believe there's any chance RetriX could be featured in gbatemp's front page somehow? You have way more experience than me in this community, so I'd defer to your expertise.
Should it be possible, what would be the best way to go about it?

Other places I was thinking about are NeoGAF and XDA developers: again, does anyone with experience in those communities have an idea if posting there would be appreciated or not?
I have basically zero reputation in either of those communities.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@jirkawaggon, @wiired24 I have edited the text in the gofundme campaign. Think it's ok now?

Of course, I want to add as many systems as I can - MAME kind of worries me since:
  • It's a huge codebase, much bugger than the average core I'd bet - if changes are needed it could be painful
  • Even the Libretro project hasn't fully integrated it (no save state support for example)
  • Some projects that build on top of Retroarch launch MAME instead of running it within Retroarch itself, if I remember right
With regards to other suggestions like PS2/GameCube: as much as I want them myself, these cores are not even fully functional in Libretro itself - really don't think it's possible in the short to medium term.

I've also edited the forum signature with received amounts so far recommended, and I'm trying to start a dialog with the Libretro community.

Finally I wanted to ask: do you believe there's any chance RetriX could be featured in gbatemp's front page somehow? You have way more experience than me in this community, so I'd defer to your expertise.

Other places I was thinking about are NeoGAF and XDA developers: again, does anyone with experience in those communities have an idea if posting there would be appreciated or not?
I dont think XDA would be of much help, since its a mobile community.

And btw, currently im thinking on getting an xbox one S, and cant test nothing right now, what cores are supported right now? or what systems are emulated? and does save state or internal saves work? O:

Reactions: wiired24

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont think XDA would be of much help, since its a mobile community.

And btw, currently im thinking on getting an xbox one S, and cant test nothing right now, what cores are supported right now? or what systems are emulated? and does save state or internal saves work? O:
retrix has windows phone support, so maybe that would interest XDA

Could you guys look at this:
http://www.xb1emu.com/winpse10/playstation-1-emulator-psx-ported-to-xbox-one/

Is it real or fake?

I am willing to pay money to get PSX that works properly without any error.
this emulator as far as I am aware is already out. the problem is it is incredibly glitch and most games do not work.

What about dosbox? is it from the easy side or the hard side. as far as I am aware dosbox uwp was being developed for a while but got cancelled because of microsoft's new rules.

As far as promoting you in the main page, that would be awesome and I think it is front page worthy. I just do not know who to ask since I am relatively new here

jirkawaggon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
@Absestos Yes it is OK. But is it possible to put a link to download Retrix?
Something like "on this link http://www.mediafire.com/file/1qgq9gqf6j4d1lx/Retrix+-+Retroarch+Xbox+One.zip you can download first version of Retrix."

Here is message what I got from MAME creator (VAS) from http://mamedev.org/ about MAME SDK for UWP:
"There is no special UWP SDK for MAME. You need to install Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 with the UWP SDK, as well as the MSYS64 build tools used to build MAME normally. Then you can make the vs2015_uwp target to generate project files to build MAME for UWP."

@Absestos @wiired24 @kingtut @dominater01
I have new idea. We still talk about MS creators program (thank to which we emulated consoles) but this program has limited sources (2cores of CPU, 1GB RAM, 45% of GPU etc).
Nonetheless exists ID@xbox program for indie developers (please visit http://www.xbox.com/en-us/Developers/id) which enables access to full performance of Xbox (8cores, 8GB RAM, 100% of GPU etc).
If I am right then we can play all (still unpublish) games and apps created under ID@Xbox program with our Xbox consoles run in developer mode. Then we need only access to SDK of Xbox console or somebody guy work with SDK in some studio in ID@Xbox program.
This guy only edit code of some core for RETRIX (like Gamecube or PS2).
What do you think about it?
PS Unfortunately I dont know anyone work under ID@Xbox program

@ScarletDreamz at this time Xbox ONE can emulate: NES, SNES, GBA, Gameboy, Sega Master System, Sega GENESIS, Sega CD, Sega 1000, PSX, N64, PSP.
Dreamcast will comming from XB1EMU this summer.
But if you can please support RETRIX emulator https://www.gofundme.com/retrix

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Absestos Yes it is OK. But is it possible to put a link to download Retrix?
Something like "on this link http://www.mediafire.com/file/1qgq9gqf6j4d1lx/Retrix+-+Retroarch+Xbox+One.zip you can download first version of Retrix."

Here is message what I got from MAME creator (VAS) from http://mamedev.org/ about MAME SDK for UWP:
"There is no special UWP SDK for MAME. You need to install Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 with the UWP SDK, as well as the MSYS64 build tools used to build MAME normally. Then you can make the vs2015_uwp target to generate project files to build MAME for UWP."

@Absestos @wiired24 @kingtut @dominater01
I have new idea. We still talk about MS creators program (thank to which we emulated consoles) but this program has limited sources (2cores of CPU, 1GB RAM, 45% of GPU etc).
Nonetheless exists ID@xbox program for indie developers (please visit http://www.xbox.com/en-us/Developers/id) which enables access to full performance of Xbox (8cores, 8GB RAM, 100% of GPU etc).
If I am right then we can play all (still unpublish) games and apps created under ID@Xbox program with our Xbox consoles run in developer mode. Then we need only access to SDK of Xbox console or somebody guy work with SDK in some studio in ID@Xbox program.
This guy only edit code of some core for RETRIX (like Gamecube or PS2).
What do you think about it?
PS Unfortunately I dont know anyone work under ID@Xbox program

@ScarletDreamz at this time Xbox ONE can emulate: NES, SNES, GBA, Gameboy, Sega Master System, Sega GENESIS, Sega CD, Sega 1000, PSX, N64, PSP.
Dreamcast will comming from XB1EMU this summer.
But if you can please support RETRIX emulator https://www.gofundme.com/retrix

we can't use id@xbox because Microsoft has officially banned emulators from all of their family of devices. I am not even sure if we could use the xbox creator program

jirkawaggon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
@kingtut we will not register to ID@Xbox we just use someone who work with Xbox SDK in ID@Xbox (better said somebody registered in ID@Xbox help us).
we will not publish RETRIX in MS store. Distribution (from cloud mediafire.com) stay as it (only for dev consoles). Then MS dont stop emulator.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt