How To: Install any Linux distro on PS3

How To: Install any Linux distro on PS3
(Slim and Fat compatible)

Although Linux distro's can be installed on a computer, the PS3 came along with the OtherOS feature and Linux was readily available (untill Sony later decided to remove the OtherOS feature from the slim models and a update for the fat models
hateps3.gif
)

fast forward to 2011 and now OtherOS has made it's return, now with more distributions to chose from.
this guide shows you how to run any PowerPC based Linux distro on a PS3. [/p]

Requirements

A PS3 with 16mb NAND (ones with 256mb NAND won't work) see spoiler to find out which NAND you have

Code:
Look at the back of your PS3, and observe the last set of digits

PS3 Fat:
CECHA = 256MB
CECHB = 256MB
CECHC = 256MB
CECHE = 256MB
CECHG = 256MB
CECHH = 16MB
CECHJ = 16MB
CECHK = 16MB
CECHL = 16MB
CECHM = 16MB
CECHP = 16MB
CECHQ = 16MB
ÂÂÂÂ
PS3 Slim:
CECH-20..A = 16MB
CECH-20..B = 16MB
CECH-21..A = 16MB
CECH-21..B = 16MB
CECH-250.A = 16MB
CECH-250.B = 16MB
CECH-250.A = 16MB
CECH-250.B = 16MB
CECH-251.A = 16MB
CECH-251.B = 16MB

A PowerPC based Linux distro

A blank disc (CD)

Kmeaw's CFW (custom firmware) installed

A external hard drive

Installation

Step 1. Download any Linux distro for the PowerPC x64 architecture, and burn to disc. The 3 most popular when it comes to the PS3 are.

Ubuntu: the world most popular Linux distrobution, it is easy to use and comes with many programs for users to get started.

Arch Linux: A distribution that's fast and lightweight, it comes with all the essentisals and nothing more, the rest is up to the user to decide what to have.

Yellow Dog Linux (YLD) : A distribution that was made specifically for the PS3, again easy to use and everything works out-of-the box. [/p]

step 2. Download BootOSPetitboot (bootos-v3.0-petitboot.pkg) A modified version of kmeaw's bootOS that uses the petitboot bootloader instead of
asbestOS. If you already have kmeau's bootOS then you need to uninstall it first before proceeding any further, to uninstall go over to the game section, then scroll down to the installed bootOS, then press triangle and then delete.

Step 3. Next download the lv2 patcher ver9 (lv2_v9.pkg)

place the 2 .pkg files on the root of a USB storage device, then proceed to install them via the CFW xmb. Run the BootOS installer, then
attach your external hard drive at this point.

Step 4. Insert your burned disc, then run the lv2 patcher, which should run petitboot, it will take a few minutes, so grab yourself a drink.
grog.gif

Step 5. from then on, the process should be fairly simple, install the distro then follow the on screen instructions, when you get to the partitioning screen, make sure to format your EXTERNAL HDD, not your internal HDD.

and thats it, you should have a fully working Linux distro on your PS3
hrth.gif

Reactions: Margen67

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
the PS3 came along when the OtherOS feature and developers (hackers) made Linux available.

Hackers didn't need to make Linux available, that was the whole point of OtherOS...It was officially supported to run Linux.

shamiko_

~
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
R4Liam said:
so an external HDD would be one that connects via USB? Why can't you use the internal ps3 HDD?

you could, but you would need to partition the internal HDD to make room for the linux installation, which is a bit more tricky.

R4Liam

Artsy Dude
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
I've always been intrigued by using my PS3 as a OS similar to windows. Would it be faster than my shitty 512mb RAM on my computer at the moment? Is it anywhere at all supported as much as Windows? Won't Sony just remove it again when they want?

shamiko_

~
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
R4Liam said:
I've always been intrigued by using my PS3 as a OS similar to windows. Would it be faster than my shitty 512mb RAM on my computer at the moment? Is it anywhere at all supported as much as Windows? Won't Sony just remove it again when they want?

PowerPC architecture's are becoming less common so your not likely to get the latest version of a distro.

it should be faster than your computer (you've only listed your RAM, so im taking a vague guess here)
but it hasn't got full RSX access, which should of made it even faster.
and remember that this is done in CFW so Sony could make a update, to remove OtherOS but as long as you don't then nothng is lost ( apart form PSN access)

shamiko_

~
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
libertas34 said:
Would Natty Narwhal work? Also, can I dual boot with Kmeaw?

if you can find the powerpc 64 bit version of ubuntu 11.04 then i guess it might work (i haven't tried it as i don't have a working PS3 to test)

and if you unplug the external HDD that has the linux distro installed then it should boot GameOS

shamiko_

~
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
libertas34 said:
Does it support hardware such as the Blu-Ray player, Sixaxis Controller, graphics card, etc.?

all i know is that ubuntu 10.10 works out of the box (everything works) im not too sure about Natty Narwhal , you can give it a try if you want

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling.