Tutorial  Updated

How to inject GBA Saves to you GBA Games!

What do you need:

NDS Fat / NDS Lite with Slot-2
you game to inject that save (i tried with Yu-Gi-Oh! Worldwide Edition: Stairway to the Destined Duel) (USA Version)
You save you want to inject (.sav format)
NDS FlashCart can run Homebrew (i tried with R4i Smart Update 2016 and worked perfect)
GBA Backup Tool
Visual Boy Advance <- THIS IS ONLY FOR CONVERT .SPS TO SAVES

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU LOSE YOU SAVE DATA OF YOUR GAME, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

Step 1) Download GBA Backup Tool, and put it in your NDS Flashcart (where you want)
Step 2) Make sure your save is in sd:/GBA_Backup/(filename).sav
Step 3) Insert you GBA Game, start GBA Backup Tool (Backup you GBA Save if something worked wrong, save doesnt worked, etc)
Step 4) Change command with R (Save Restore), and with the D-Pad select the correct save of the game (MAKE SURE IS THE SAME REGION TOO) and press A (Restore Data in Card from SAV file)
Step 5) Test you game

FAQ:
I Downloaded a .sps file save, how i can convert it to .sav file?
Download VBA, click "File" -> Load your Game/ROM -> Import -> Gameshark Snapshot -> (select the .sps file) -> OK -> you should get the .sav file in the same directory of the ROM

WHERE I CAN FIND A .SAV SAVE FILE?!!?!?!?11?!?!?!1?!?2!?
google it, like GameFAQs have some GBA saves .-.

SO I CAN MODIFY MY POKAHMON SAVE AND MODIFY AS I LIKE?!?!1'1!?!?!!??
Yeeeeep, just extract (backup) your save, take it, and execute Pokahmemes save editor, like FireRed, LeafWeed, etc.
The best part is you can put pokahmons shinys, inject pokahmens, items, unused items, etc etc.

Note: Some games are identical, like Yu-Gi-Oh! Worldwide Edition: Stairway to the Destined Duel (USA) and Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel International Monsters - Worldwide Edition: Stairway to the Destined Duel (JP) so, can run the same save, i tried to inject a USA Save with Yu-Gi-Oh! JP and worked!!

note 2: if you game is bootleg, maybe this doesn't work since they have bad load rom, bad checksum, etc.
Better do it with original games, speciall with Pokémon games.

Last edited by Alex4U,

Xalusc

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
Didn't work. Both my cart AND VBA somehow loaded the save I had before I edited it with A-Save or PokéCrafter, even though reloading the save in either app clearly shows the modifications were correctly saved.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Didn't work. Both my cart AND VBA somehow loaded the save I had before I edited it with A-Save or PokéCrafter, even though reloading the save in either app clearly shows the modifications were correctly saved.
export the file as battery, does it work?

Xalusc

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
OK, so, this is weird...
My Emerald cart is a bootleg. However, it appears the save file is written along with the ROM. I tried exporting the ROM alone (no save) using the GBA Backup Tool, put it in a separate folder and opened it with VBA... And, much to my surprise, my old save file was there. Even though I didn't export the save file, only the ROM.

Alex4U

i like pancakes
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com.mx
XP
Country
Mexico
Pokémon Bootlegs Games sometimes doesn't work, like FireRed, if is bootleg, everytime you start the game says: "The save data is ok" or "The save data is deleted.../Corrupted..."

EDIT: Do you have any Pokahmon games? (Original) try it, i repeat, Porkyman Bootleg games sometimes doesn't work because they have "Bad checksum" "Bad Load/Save"...

Last edited by Alex4U,

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
OK, so, this is weird...
My Emerald cart is a bootleg. However, it appears the save file is written along with the ROM. I tried exporting the ROM alone (no save) using the GBA Backup Tool, put it in a separate folder and opened it with VBA... And, much to my surprise, my old save file was there. Even though I didn't export the save file, only the ROM.
I think its because bootlegs use a patched version of the game so the save works.

Jack-

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I'm sorry I'm reviving this topic, but I have a problem. When I try to inject the .sav file to my cartridge, I just can't because when I press R and try to change the command, it does absolutely nothing. I keep pressing R, mutiple times and no clue... I tried downloading two different versions of the GBA Backup Tool and still nothing. My R button is working though and I'm 98% sure my cartridge is original.

Is there a way to check if it's original with the tool? Because otherwise I have no idea what's going on.

Please help :(

Alex4U

i like pancakes
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com.mx
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm sorry I'm reviving this topic, but I have a problem. When I try to inject the .sav file to my cartridge, I just can't because when I press R and try to change the command, it does absolutely nothing. I keep pressing R, mutiple times and no clue... I tried downloading two different versions of the GBA Backup Tool and still nothing. My R button is working though and I'm 98% sure my cartridge is original.

Is there a way to check if it's original with the tool? Because otherwise I have no idea what's going on.

Please help :(
Are you sure is working? Try blowing your R button and try again. That must work.

Jack-

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Are you sure is working? Try blowing your R button and try again. That must work.

It was working but just in case I tried what you said and it was still not working. I downloaded it again after that and it's working perfectly now. Thank you!

Brandy898989

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Hi im new may i ask how can i do this for a Patched Bootleg pokemon game. I want to save edit and everytime i try the save doesnt want to be injected what do i need to change the patch save system or the GBA itself?

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi im new may i ask how can i do this for a Patched Bootleg pokemon game. I want to save edit and everytime i try the save doesnt want to be injected what do i need to change the patch save system or the GBA itself?
You would have to re-flash the cart after using gbata to SRAM-patch a clean ROM; and solder in a battery to retain the save. Those types of ROM-hacked cartridges have the save written to the ROM chip. That's why the game freezes during saving.

Brandy898989

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
where can I get a cheap reflasher im in the Philippines and I don't think I can find a joey joebags reflasher also does this mean i have to make a custom battery?

Last edited by Brandy898989,

Irius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I'm using a R4isdhc gold running twilight, GBA Backup Tool v0.21 and a GBA Cartridge bought on Aliexpress. I'm unable to inject my gbarunner2 savefile. The cartridge is ok as far as I know, it's capable to save and I can extract the rom and save using GBA Backup Tool. When I try to inject it does not show any error, percentage completes, but the save is not on it.

Anyone can help?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr