How to inject GBA Saves to you GBA Games!

Discussion in 'NDS - Tutorials' started by Alex4U, Sep 27, 2016.

Sep 27, 2016
  1. Alex4U
    OP

Member Alex4U The best Virtual Boy fanboy you'll see

Mexico
    What do you need:

NDS Fat / NDS Lite with Slot-2
    you game to inject that save (i tried with Yu-Gi-Oh! Worldwide Edition: Stairway to the Destined Duel) (USA Version)
    You save you want to inject (.sav format)
    NDS FlashCart can run Homebrew (i tried with R4i Smart Update 2016 and worked perfect)
    GBA Backup Tool
    Visual Boy Advance <- THIS IS ONLY FOR CONVERT .SPS TO SAVES

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU LOSE YOU SAVE DATA OF YOUR GAME, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

Step 1) Download GBA Backup Tool, and put it in your NDS Flashcart (where you want)
    Step 2) Make sure your save is in sd:/GBA_Backup/(filename).sav
    Step 3) Insert you GBA Game, start GBA Backup Tool (Backup you GBA Save if something worked wrong, save doesnt worked, etc)
    Step 4) Change command with R (Save Restore), and with the D-Pad select the correct save of the game (MAKE SURE IS THE SAME REGION TOO) and press A (Restore Data in Card from SAV file)
    Step 5) Test you game

FAQ:
    I Downloaded a .sps file save, how i can convert it to .sav file?
    Download VBA, click "File" -> Load your Game/ROM -> Import -> Gameshark Snapshot -> (select the .sps file) -> OK -> you should get the .sav file in the same directory of the ROM

WHERE I CAN FIND A .SAV SAVE FILE?!!?!?!?11?!?!?!1?!?2!?
    google it, like GameFAQs have some GBA saves .-.

SO I CAN MODIFY MY POKAHMON SAVE AND MODIFY AS I LIKE?!?!1'1!?!?!!??
    Yeeeeep, just extract (backup) your save, take it, and execute Pokahmemes save editor, like FireRed, LeafWeed, etc.
    The best part is you can put pokahmons shinys, inject pokahmens, items, unused items, etc etc.

Note: Some games are identical, like Yu-Gi-Oh! Worldwide Edition: Stairway to the Destined Duel (USA) and Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel International Monsters - Worldwide Edition: Stairway to the Destined Duel (JP) so, can run the same save, i tried to inject a USA Save with Yu-Gi-Oh! JP and worked!!

note 2: if you game is bootleg, maybe this doesn't work since they have bad load rom, bad checksum, etc.
    Better do it with original games, speciall with Pokémon games.

Last edited by Alex4U, Oct 23, 2016
  2. Xalusc

Newcomer Xalusc Member

Brazil
    Didn't work. Both my cart AND VBA somehow loaded the save I had before I edited it with A-Save or PokéCrafter, even though reloading the save in either app clearly shows the modifications were correctly saved.

3. migles

Member migles i'm a dude, i just enjoy pretty girls and money...

Korea, North
    export the file as battery, does it work?

4. Xalusc

Newcomer Xalusc Member

Brazil
    OK, so, this is weird...
    My Emerald cart is a bootleg. However, it appears the save file is written along with the ROM. I tried exporting the ROM alone (no save) using the GBA Backup Tool, put it in a separate folder and opened it with VBA... And, much to my surprise, my old save file was there. Even though I didn't export the save file, only the ROM.

5. Alex4U
    OP

Mexico
    Pokémon Bootlegs Games sometimes doesn't work, like FireRed, if is bootleg, everytime you start the game says: "The save data is ok" or "The save data is deleted.../Corrupted..."

EDIT: Do you have any Pokahmon games? (Original) try it, i repeat, Porkyman Bootleg games sometimes doesn't work because they have "Bad checksum" "Bad Load/Save"...

Last edited by Alex4U, Sep 29, 2016
  6. tatumanu

Member tatumanu GBAtemp Fan

Portugal
    I think its because bootlegs use a patched version of the game so the save works.

7. invaderyoyo

Member invaderyoyo invader

United States
    Thanks! Worked great with Aria of Sorrow.

Alex4U likes this.
  8. Alex4U
    OP

Mexico
    Worked me for various games i didn't finished like Sonic Advance 3 or YuGiOh! Worldwide edition.
    And u welcome ^^