How to get a free Developer Account

Discussion in 'Xbox One - Tutorials' started by ElijahZAwesome, Apr 21, 2017.

?

Did your email get rejected? (out of curiosity)

1. Yes

30.8%
  2. No

69.2%
  3. For some other reason I couldn't sign up (comments)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ElijahZAwesome
    OP

ElijahZAwesome GBATemp's official... uh... uhhhhhhhhhhhh

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    Narnia
    Before I start, YOU MUST BE A STUDENT. YOU MUST HAVE EITHER A SCHOOL ISSUED EMAIL, OR YOUR SCHOOL IS ENROLLED IN MICROSOFT IMAGINE. Even if you have a school email it may still not work sometimes.

EDIT: Buying a .edu email is possible for less than the developer account price of $20, you can get them on fiverr for $5, but I can't test the ligitimacey. https://www.fiverr.com/gigs/search?query=edu email

Okay. So this tutorial will allow you to get a completely free Microsoft developer account, which will allow you to side load apps on Xbox one, develop apps, and get basically any Microsoft developer tool for free, completely legit as well.

HOW TO GET A FREE MS DEVELOPER ACCOUNT:

You need to go to imagine.microsoft.com.
    You'll see a page like this, click sign in.
    [​IMG]
    You will be taken to this page where you should sign in with a pre-existing Microsoft account or you can create one as well.
    [​IMG]
    After you sign in you should be taken to something like this. (I'm not sure about everything because i've already made an account)
    [​IMG]
    From here, just fill out the required info. If your in middle school, you may have to tell it that your in high school. if your email is middle school specific, it may not work. my school email works for the entire district so i'm fine. You may want to set graduation to one or two years ahead. of course you can also just fill this info out legitimately but its your choice whatevs.
    [​IMG]
    Now after you do that you will be taken to your account page where you will have to verify your studentity. (see what i did there?) for this the email you use to verify doesn't need to be the same one you used to sign up, it just needs to be accessible and a school issued email.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At this point you will be back on your account page, which a notification telling you that you have been verified. don't spam me saying it didn't work, sideloading is new and the only mention of this method of getting a dev account is a single comment on a thread. you will now want to click download, then click software catalog.
    [​IMG]
    You will be at a catalog of windows software now, theres a lotta cool stuff here as well if your a developer besides the dev account. Anyway, scroll to the bottom until you see this:
    [​IMG]
    Click it and there will be a page where on the right, it will say something along the lines of "redeem code" then it will tell it on the page. just copy it for now, if you lose it, just come back to this page.
    [​IMG]
    Now go to https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/dashboard/apps/overview and it will ask you to sign in. then when you do you'll get another page asking to fill out some info. I can't show this because i couldn't get this far with my dummy account. anyway, fill out the info, and there should be a next button, which will present you with billing information(credit cards, etc) look for this input field and paste the code you copied:
    [​IMG]
    It will cover your billing, so press next or sign up, whatever it is, and you will be presented with your dashboard! congrats! you have a completely free developer account.
    [​IMG]
    Now if you want to sideload, just go to http://developer.microsoft.com/xboxactivate and follow this thread to link your xbox to your account, along with two others if you are so inclined, and then sideload to your heart's content!
    Please tell me if there is important steps I missed or any problems you encountered. Thanks for reading!​

Last edited by ElijahZAwesome, Apr 21, 2017

2. wiired24

wiired24 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 3, 2013
    United States
    Dev_Home
    Great work! Hopefully more people will take advantage of this oppurtunity. I'm a college student myself but I already paid for my dev account a year ago (Wish I would have known about this then :rofl:

3. ElijahZAwesome
    OP

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    Narnia
    yeah, but i dont think anyone knew then. (maybe, idk)

4. dominater01

dominater01 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 13, 2009
    United States
    edit nvm

Last edited by dominater01, Apr 21, 2017
  5. NichyXD

NichyXD GBAtemp Regular

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    It works in Italy too? I'm graduating in computer science in Torino

ElijahZAwesome and wiired24 like this.
  6. wiired24

wiired24 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 3, 2013
    United States
    Dev_Home
    Oh really :D From one Computer Science Undergrad to another Congrats :D

7. matthi321

matthi321 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    it works if im not in shool?

8. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 12, 2009
    If you have access to a supported non-IP based method to verify the account (e.g. school email), then yes.

I used my .ac email address to verify my status.

wiired24 likes this.
  9. wiired24

wiired24 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 3, 2013
    United States
    Dev_Home
    As long as you have a .edu email it should work whether you're technically enrolled or not. Although you would have to be enrolled to get a .edu email

10. zerodevide

zerodevide Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2016
    Gambia, The
    there are ways to get a .edu email.
    its on its way to me, and cant wait toupgrade to an dev :teach:

wiired24 likes this.
  11. Felek666

Felek666 Typical CBHC user

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    I wish that .edu emails were a thing here.
    I don't want to go as far as buying a .edu email for $50 ._.
    I'd rather just waste $20 for dev account.

12. ElijahZAwesome
    OP

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    Narnia
    yeah, its mostly luck of the draw, if you are in school, great! if your not, your kinda screwed

EDIT: depending on if you care about other stuff or not, the other stuff ms imagine gives you is probably worth way more than $50

Last edited by ElijahZAwesome, Apr 21, 2017
  13. zerodevide

zerodevide Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2016
    Gambia, The
    you can get edu emails on fivrr for around 10 $.... thats fair

14. ElijahZAwesome
    OP

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    Narnia
    oh, thats cool. 20 dollar account for 10 dollars.

I may put some of this info in the OP in case people are willing to just spend less

15. zerodevide

zerodevide Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2016
    Gambia, The
    bought edu email a few hours ago, its not delivered yet.
    I will give feedback,when i have it

wiired24 and ElijahZAwesome like this.
  16. ElijahZAwesome
    OP

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    Narnia
    Any updates?

17. osm70

osm70 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 17, 2011
    Czech Republic
    What is an .edu email, anyway? I currently study an university, and my school email ends with .cz. So, yeah, no student benefits from international companies for me. Not at all.

18. ElijahZAwesome
    OP

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    Narnia
    its an email that ends in .edu. they (should) be registered with MS so they will work to make an account.

19. wiired24

wiired24 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 3, 2013
    United States
    Dev_Home
    Suddenly everyone is a student lol

ElijahZAwesome likes this.
  20. dominater01

dominater01 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 13, 2009
    United States
    thats what i was thinking to lol btw i should have a dev center activation tomorrow around 7pm @wiired24 thanks to elijah :)

edit: maybe they can put that school knowledge to use :rofl2:

Last edited by dominater01, Apr 22, 2017
    ElijahZAwesome likes this.