How to Extract SNES Virtual Console Saves from 3DS to PC

HOW TO EXTRACT SNES VIRTUAL CONSOLE SAVES FROM 3DS TO PC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ABOUT:

I wanted to know if I could take my save from a 3DS SNES VC game to play the game on my PC. I did some research, but I couldn't find anything except for people asking if could be done with hardly any good answer. So after after a few minutes of examining the save files that I extracted using JKSM, I found out how to do just that, and now I want to share this information for everyone to benefit!

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

For this tutorial we need two things:

For the 3DS:

JKSM Save Manager (Don't know if anything else works...)
For the PC:

HxD Hex Editor (Any other hex editor should work.)​

EXTRACT THE SAVE FILE:

STEP 1:

- Open up JKSM on your 3DS and extract the save files for the SNES game of your choice.​

STEP 2:

- With the save files extracted with JKSM on the SD Card, access the SD card on your PC.
(For New 3DS Users, you can go into System Settings > Data Management > microSD Management to access your SD Card over the Network.)

- Inside the Save Folder you should have four files; a CFG file, a VEA file, a VES file, and a VEW file. The only file we need is the VES file, for it is the file that contains our real save file.​

STEP 3:

- Open the VES file in HxD, select and copy all the bytes starting at offset 0x30 all the way to end, then paste these bytes in a new document. Save the new document as a SRM file.​

- We are done! The SRM file is your save file and can be used for various emulators.​

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Is there anything in the SNES VC titles that can be changed to run on O3DS? Like, has anyone looked and tried? It seems like a software switch.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there anything in the SNES VC titles that can be changed to run on O3DS? Like, has anyone looked and tried? It seems like a software switch.
don't get your hopes up. there's a bit somewhere in the smdh (game's icon) blocking the title from running on Old3DS (shows the "New 3DS exclusive" dialog). besides that, it requests some New3DS-specific services in the exheader. even after removing those (since none of them seemed required for an SNES emulator), the game still doesn't boot.

placebooooo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to do the opposite (transfer from .srm to 3ds virtual console save)? I would like to take my earthbound saves from my psp snes emulator and transfer them to my new 3ds. If so, how is this possible?

Webbmaster1900

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure you can, just get Earthbound's VES file from JKSM and replace all those bytes with that of your SRM file instead of copying them over to a new document, then import the back save using JKSM.

placebooooo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure you can, just get Earthbound's VES file from JKSM and replace all those bytes with that of your SRM file instead of copying them over to a new document, then import the back save using JKSM.
I'll try it when I get the chance and report back. I never used a hex editor before but I'll still give it a try anyway. Also, is this possible with gba virtual console games? gameboy?

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In theory, the only VC titles that use different rules from SNES should be GBA, due to the unique way that the saves are stored to work around AGB_FIRM's lack of SD Card access.
In practice, I could be completely wrong and stupid.

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know this is a bump - but I tried that (with EarthBound, natch) and even though I made sure I had no save states (suspend or restore) and it still had a completely blank save. Not that it really matters, I just wanted to try it.
Maybe there's some integrity checking going on? I wouldn't know.

placebooooo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is a bump - but I tried that (with EarthBound, natch) and even though I made sure I had no save states (suspend or restore) and it still had a completely blank save. Not that it really matters, I just wanted to try it.
Maybe there's some integrity checking going on? I wouldn't know.
Interesting. Honestly, I haven't given this a try (yet). I am working on restoring my 3ds .cia saves first. Will post back here if I ever get the chance.

placebooooo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, what are the results?
Never attempted. I had issues restoring saves on my new 3ds, which really put me down. I just lost all interest in playing it and never thought to try the snes save transfer. I just developed that "screw it" mentality. Hopefully someone else here will be able to help you out.

Stremon

Trophies
Website
jbbongrand.blogspot.fr
XP
Country
France
Hey guys,
Sorry to revive this old post, but has anyone managed to import srm save to vc games, by bypassing the auto restore point function?
Any way to inject or delete the restore point that would force the game to reset with the new save file?

wiimer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You should mention that this method also works with Wii U SNES games, since they both use the same save file format for their Virtual Console games.

(Tested with EarthBound)

Last edited by wiimer,
Reactions: Stremon

raphamotta

Trophies
XP
Country
Guys I'm trying to transfer my VC SNES save from 3DS to VC SNES WiiU with this method without success.Tried to replace ves file, replace all ves, vew and vea files and tried to copy only the bytes above from ves 3DS file to WiiU ves file.

Anyone managed how to do that? Tried with FF6 injected game on loadiine and 3DS

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: hi