[HOW TO] Custom ringtone/notification/alarm sounds in Android

Discussion in 'General Tutorials' started by nxwing, May 29, 2016.

1. nxwing
    OP

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    So you wanna set some custom sounds eh? You've come to the right place. This guide will be divided into three sections: Notifications, Ringtones and Alarms. The first steps for each of them will be somewhat similar so don't get confused, got it? Good.

For this guide, you'll need:
    • A device running Android (For this guide, I've used a Galaxy Mega 6.3 running Marshmallow)
    • A file manager (I've used the default CM13 file manager for this one but any file manager should work fine)
    • The sound/tune/music you want to use (Preferably in .mp3, .ogg, .wav format)
    To set a custom notification sound:
    1. Locate the custom notification sound you want to use, make sure it's short as it's only a sound for notifications (I'll be using "Jingle ~ Neverending Trouble")
    2. Move it or copy it to the Notifications folder located at the root directory of your device
    3. Open up Settings
    4. Navigate to Sounds>Notification Tone (This step may vary)
    5. Select the sound you've placed in the Notifications folder earlier (Mine was "Jingle ~ Neverending Trouble")
    To set a custom ringtone:
    1. Locate the custom ringtone you want to use, make sure it'll last at least one minute as it is a ringtone (I'll be using "Klavier Gavin ~ Guilty Love")
    2. Move it or copy it to the Ringtones folder located at the root directory of your device
    3. Open up Settings
    4. Navigate to Sounds>Phone Ringtone (This step may vary)
    5. Select the sound you've placed in the Ringtones folder earlier (Mine was "Klavier Gavin ~ Guilty Love")
    To set a custom alarm:
    1. Locate the custom alarm sound you want to use, make sure it's long so you'll wake up (I'll be using "Cross-Examination ~ Allegro 2013")
    2. Move it or copy it to the Alarms located at the root directory of your device
    3. Open up your Clock/Alarm app
    4. Select or create an alarm
    5. Tap the area where you select a sound to be used
    6. Select the file you've placed in the Alarms folder earlier (Mine was "Cross-Examination ~ Allegro 2013")
    If you need help, feel free to PM me or to post on this thread or on my profile. I'll be willing to help :)

Changelog:
    Initial guide

Last edited by nxwing, May 30, 2016 - Reason: Revised the guide
  2. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    A lot of music players allow you to set songs as your ringtone, as well. I know Poweramp and Player Pro do.

3. nxwing
    OP

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    Yeah but they can't set songs as a notification tone.

4. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    True.