Gaming How to back up 3DS games to SD card?

jnilsson618

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been backing up my wii games and wii u games, so I figure it was time for the 3DS. Is there a way to back up to and play 3DS games from an SD card? I know there should be a way, but when I try to google it, all I get is unanswered questions and clickbait. does anybody have any suggestions?

Iispoor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
What if you don't want to install CFW, and just wanna do it either through Homebrew or and do the work on PC and then copy the files onto SD card so the backed up games can be shown on the home menu screen?

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if you don't want to install CFW, and just wanna do it either through Homebrew or and do the work on PC and then copy the files onto SD card so the backed up games can be shown on the home menu screen?
you need cfw to run godmode9 which is what you use to dump your games to sd card.
follow the https://3ds.hacks.guide/

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Iispoor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
you need cfw to run godmode9 which is what you use to dump your games to sd card.
follow the https://3ds.hacks.guide/
...is there a way to do without CFW, or not possible? Like for example do the dumping and conversion on the computer and then transfer it over to SD card...? Rather than do it exclusively on the 3DS alone?

Last edited by Iispoor,

ry755

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...is there a way to do without CFW, or not possible? Like for example do the dumping and conversion on the computer and then transfer it over to SD card...? Rather than do it exclusively on the 3DS alone?
You can't. Installing titles (games, .CIA homebrew, anything that gets installed to the home screen) requires CFW.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Iispoor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You can't. Installing titles (games, .CIA homebrew, anything that gets installed to the home screen) requires CFW.
Oh.....:mellow::huh::O:unsure::wtf::blink:

Wait, homebrew can be done without CFW.....or at least launching the homebrew launcher...using exploits...

Last edited by Iispoor,

Iispoor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Most .3dsx homebrew apps can be used without CFW, but apps that come in the .cia format require CFW to be installed.
Ah, so that's what those .cia files are for....was wondering coz been seeing them everywhere....

What about .dat files? What are they for? CFW as well? Or....something else?

ry755

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, so that's what those .cia files are for....was wondering coz been seeing them everywhere....

What about .dat files? What are they for? CFW as well? Or....something else?
I'm not sure what .dat files are for. It might be some older homebrew format.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying. +1