Hacking How the 3ds handles compatability mode

lightning099

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok that kinda puts a damper on things, since if we had those extra 12 mb on regular flash karts you could do alot more with homebrew running in compatability mode.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I know from first hand experience that the DSBricker WILL fullbrick ALL DS AND DSi functionality on the 3DS. It was a neat experiment XD
...? ok explain me that :blink:
He ran DS bricker on his flashcard and it wouldn't allow him to access DS/DSi mode anymore. It would show an error I think. DSiWare didn't run either IIRC. He has videos I'm sure he'll post/link you to. Or you can look for the DSBricker on 3DS topic.
lolno, he was joking - all that appeared was a white screen since DSBricker no longer works on later firmwares of the DSi. I'd know, I started that thread. ;P

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I know from first hand experience that the DSBricker WILL fullbrick ALL DS AND DSi functionality on the 3DS. It was a neat experiment XD
...? ok explain me that :blink:
He ran DS bricker on his flashcard and it wouldn't allow him to access DS/DSi mode anymore. It would show an error I think. DSiWare didn't run either IIRC. He has videos I'm sure he'll post/link you to. Or you can look for the DSBricker on 3DS topic.
lolno, he was joking - all that appeared was a white screen since DSBricker no longer works on later firmwares of the DSi. I'd know, I started that thread. ;P

And here we go:

EDIT: So..that was faked?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
EDIT: So..those were faked?
Weird, I have no recollection of seeing the error at the end, I'm pretty sure "nothing happened", but I guess only Plasma knows as he was the one who tried.

If it "got bricked" as he says then I suppose it's a "yay" as the bricker definitelly had access to part of the NAND that was dedicated for the DS sandbox/emulator contraption.

Back at the time though I remember we came to the conclusion that it didn't work, that was quite some time ago.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: So..those were faked?
Weird, I have no recollection of seeing the error at the end, I'm pretty sure "nothing happened", but I guess only Plasma knows as he was the one who tried.

If it "got bricked" as he says then I suppose it's a "yay" as the bricker definitelly had access to part of the NAND that was dedicated for the DS sandbox/emulator contraption.

Back at the time though I remember we came to the conclusion that it didn't work, that was quite some time ago.
Yeah, around halfway through or so it wouldn't boot into DS mode and the DSi-Ware wouldn't work.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah, around halfway through or so it wouldn't boot into DS mode and the DSi-Ware wouldn't work.
That's an interesting development... I wonder if the true-blue 3DS hackers would be interested in it. I mean, writing to "some part of NAND" is better than "not writting at all".

That said, I wonder if a Format or a System Update would fix the issue.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
That's an interesting development... I wonder if the true-blue 3DS hackers would be interested in it. I mean, writing to "some part of NAND" is better than "not writting at all".

That said, I wonder if a Format or a System Update would fix the issue.
It did, according to plasma in the thread that you totally read :P.

Love ya Foxi :wub:

Reactions: 2 people

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
It did, according to plasma in the thread that you totally read :P.

Love ya Foxi

I started it, of course I've read it. Thing is, I left it alone after my final post since it seemed like the idea was going nowhere.
Uhh...he posted that formatting the 3DS fixed it before he posted the videos...:)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Uhh...he posted that formatting the 3DS fixed it before he posted the videos... :)
I am totally not going to re-read the whole thread just because I learned something new, I am currently browsing GBAtemp and chatting with my girlfriend on one PC while playing Deus Ex 3 on another *at the same time*, I'm pretty tied up. ;)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Figured, just learning you not to be so hasty calling me wrong, I'll defend it until you realize I'm right dammit!...or until I realize I'm wrong...
Oh, I admit my mistake - I was simply unaware of the bricking part. ;)

I'm a tough person to argue with, but not an idiot. I can admit when I'm wrong. ;)

dicamarques

Definitely not Bruce Wayne.
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
If it was fake, I wouldn't still have to redownload all of my eShop downloads lol. I've yet to do that XD

Anyone who doesn't believe me is welcome to take me up on the matter on Skype XD (But... wait... another format will make me lose my Reggie gold-bottomed Mii :( )
after the brick could you still move the dsiware between main memory and the SD ?

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it was fake, I wouldn't still have to redownload all of my eShop downloads lol. I've yet to do that XD

Anyone who doesn't believe me is welcome to take me up on the matter on Skype XD (But... wait... another format will make me lose my Reggie gold-bottomed Mii :( )
after the brick could you still move the dsiware between main memory and the SD ?

If it works the same way as the Wii, for lack of a better explanation since I don't 100% know what I am talking about, the encryption key is going to change with every format. So it wouldn't work.

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
I wrote some thoughts on this here. http://gbatemp.net/t...ost__p__4185227

Although i should say additionally i wasn't aware there was a DSi mode cart out.. to be honest that seems like quite a stupid thing to release considering it means they would rethink how this all worked. Also sandboxed doesn't mean safe and to completely dismiss it; browser exploits happen constantly despite using these methods.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone give me a direct link to the bricker as well as a giant banner saying "ZOMG THIS WILL BRICK YOUR DS DON'T USE IT!" Please? I don't buy the fact that this could both break DS firmware and be simply fixed with a 3DS reformat. I have two 3DS systems and I'm willing to try it myself to either confirm or bust this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water