Hacking How safe is modding vWii

nervx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've had my wii modded for years and recently got a wiiu. The only mod I really care to have on the wiiu is the homebrew channel so I can run usbloader gx to play my disc games off hard drive. I have no plans to install VC, channel or forwarder wads or anything like that.

I'm a little hesitant to do the mod though because it seems like people run into problems more so than with the wii. So question is has anyone run into problems even when keeping it simple like this? I want to keep my wiiU updated so im curious if system updates have caused any issues as well.

lots of feedback is appreciated.

darkseekerliu

Advanced Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
From my own experience. I softmoded my wii u and updated it to the newest firmware and everything is running fine (homebrew channel, usb loaders, etc.) People run into problems because they install/remove things that they shouldn't. vWii doesn't have recover methods that original Wii has, so, when you do something wrong is a bit harder to fix. Just follow this guide and you will be fine: http://gbatemp.net/threads/full-vwii-softmod.339899/

D

Deleted User

It's completely safe at this point. If you follow the guide on this very site, you should have no problems. 99% of problems that people have with vWii is they go carelessly installing IOS or installing Wii versions of IOS. Just run your exploit of choice, install HBC, take a NAND dump and keep it safe, then install your CIOS and be on your way.

nervx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Anyone else want to share there experience, especially if you've run into trouble?

-What's the point of the NAND dump? Does it need to be redone when the wiiu/vwii gets updates?
-If I do a system transfer with my wii should i do the dump after or before?
-If I don't do a transfer is there a safe tool to copy the unmovable saves from my wii to wiiu?
-CAn I backup the NAND onto my computer or leave it in a folder on the sd card?
-out of the two cios which is more recommended? I'm still using a 320GB seagate free agent go that was popular with the wii.(yes I have a y adapter)

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone else want to share there experience, especially if you've run into trouble?

-What's the point of the NAND dump? Does it need to be redone when the wiiu/vwii gets updates?
-If I do a system transfer with my wii should i do the dump after or before?
-If I don't do a transfer is there a safe tool to copy the unmovable saves from my wii to wiiu?
-CAn I backup the NAND onto my computer or leave it in a folder on the sd card?
-out of the two cios which is more recommended? I'm still using a 320GB seagate free agent go that was popular with the wii.(yes I have a y adapter)

What's the point of the NAND dump?
It is like a system restore point in windows(a snapshot).
It will most likely at some point become more useful than it is now.
It is the closest you have to a virgin nand (if done immediately after HBC is installed).
IOS should be able to be extracted w/o resigning/fake signing them(most likely at some point).
Does it need to be redone when the wiiu/vwii gets updates?
Yes (like a system restore point in windows)
If I do a system transfer with my wii should i do the dump after or before?
Do it both times(before and after). you are the ONLY person (currently) that can save yourself(w/o copyright issuses)
If I don't do a transfer is there a safe tool to copy the unmovable saves from my wii to wiiu?
this must be answered by others
Can I backup the NAND onto my computer?
Yes. you can and you should.
sd cards fail and hard drives fail might as well burn a disc with your clearly labeled NAND dumps
Or leave it in a folder on the sd card?
this is too risky
Out of the two cios which is more recommended?
If you are not going to mess with NAND emulation, alt would seems to be the way to go. But it MUST say vWii

d2x-alt - 2 usb ports supported.
- Fully plug&play usb devices, meaning that you can connect them when the game asks for them
https://d2x-cios.googlecode.com/files/d2x-v10-beta53-alt-vWii.zip

This should be done first before installing ANY cios's
After you have installed HBC and done a NAND dump.
Do an InspectMii and a SysCheck and save those logs/info for a rainy day.
Also see excellent suggestion by JoostinOnline
http://gbatemp.net/threads/a-suggestion-for-all-softmodded-vwiis.369198/

Run the latest versions
Dump Mii NAND - a BootMii format (nand.bin) NAND dumper for vWii/Wii
Run SysCheck SysCheck HacksDen Edition
Run InspectMii InspectMii, NEW Wii/vWii Homebrew
Source for Cios choices:
https://code.google.com/p/d2x-cios/wiki/How_to_choose_d2x_distribution

nervx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thanks for the info, very helpful.

If you are not going to mess with NAND emulation, alt would seems to be the way to go. But it MUST say vWii

using d2x-alt doesn't have any compatibility issues with games does?
what does nand emulation get me?

Does it need to be redone when the wiiu/vwii gets updates? Yes (like a system restore point in windows)

doing a nand dump every update is so you can restore if you break something correct? (it is possible to restore a vwii nand right?)
but lets say Nintendo breaks the vwii mod with an update. if you restored an older nand you would be left with an updated wiiu and outdated vwii. has this been known to cause any problems with future system updates? (failing/refusing to install etc)

EDIT: if I did a wii-wiiu system transfer then restored the nand on the wii what happens if I try to access the shopping channel?

nervx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
alright so nand backup might be usefull in the future but is useless right now.

still got this question:
using d2x-alt doesn't have any compatibility issues with games does?
what does nand emulation get me?
are there any other benefits/downsides to each d2x option outside of emunand/plug and play?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs