Hardware How powerful IS the 3DS exactly?

Feels Good Man

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Now that the 3DS has been out for almost 2 weeks now, how powerful is it exactly?

I ask this because I was playing Ridge Racer 3D recently which got me wondering. The 3DS version is visually inferior to the PSP version which was released around 5 years ago. The 3DS version is also running on 30 frames compared to the steady 60 fps that the PSP game ran on. Not only that but the 3DS version also experiences slowdown(from the already 30fps) which if I remember right, the PSP version did not.

Is this entirely part of poor game development by Namco? Or is it because of weak hardware?

And yes, I do realize that the 3DS is running Super Street Fighter IV which looks phenomenal. The graphics seem simplistic compared to Ridge Racer especially since SSFIV has static backgrounds while Ridge Racer has dynamic backgrounds.

There are also reports of other games that have slowdown even in Nintendo's Pilotwings.

So what is it? Crappy hardware or what?

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Rushed software.

And we only know that the 3DS is powerful, we don't know how much. But if you're in doubt, check the trailers for Resident Evil: Revelations and Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D. Those are 100% hardware generated.

Souldragon

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
There are many factors that come in play such as the programming logic of the games, the amount of detail levels involve, etc.
We cannot judge on sololy the launch titles about the limitation of the hardware until the system been fully use to its extent.

Feels Good Man

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Souldragon said:
There are many factors that come in play such as the programming logic of the games, the amount of detail levels involve, etc.
We cannot judge on sololy the launch titles about the limitation of the hardware until the system been fully use to it's extent.

Yeah, but Ridge Racer for the PSP came out at launch too.

haddad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the 3ds is so powerful, it can print money for u

3DS-It-Prints-Money.gif

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Feels Good Man said:
Souldragon said:
We cannot judge on sololy the launch titles about the limitation of the hardware until the system been fully use to it's extent.

The PSP also didn't have the 2GB size limit either.

WiiThoko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UniqueGeek said:
Why do you need 60 fps instead of 30 fps? The human eye can only perceive about 23-24 fps.
Oh come on, that's bullshit.
It isn't that hard to tell the difference between, say, the silky smooth 60 FPS on a Call of Duty game on the 360 and PS3 and the 30 FPS on the Wii.

Feels Good Man

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
TwinRetro said:
Feels Good Man said:
Souldragon said:

Ridge Racer PSP's size is far less than the 2GB so I don't see your point.

QUOTE(UniqueGeek @ Apr 7 2011, 04:10 AM)
Why do you need 60 fps instead of 30 fps? The human eye can only perceive about 23-24 fps.

And? You can still see the difference between a 60fps game and a 30fps. And yes, I do realize that the eye can only see a certain amount of frames per second.

epicCreations.or

Trophies
Website
whalecakes.com
XP
Country
United States
Feels Good Man said:
Now that the 3DS has been out for almost 2 weeks now, how powerful is it exactly?
Dunno lol. No details leaked or discorvered at the moment.
QUOTE said:
I ask this because I was playing Ridge Racer 3D recently which got me wondering. The 3DS version is visually inferior to the PSP version which was released around 5 years ago. The 3DS version is also running on 30 frames compared to the steady 60 fps that the PSP game ran on. Not only that but the 3DS version also experiences slowdown(from the already 30fps) which if I remember right, the PSP version did not.
How many screens does the PSP render? One? And the 3DS renders... three.
QUOTE said:
Is this entirely part of poor game development by Namco? Or is it because of weak hardware?
Namco + good development? Those two go together? I'm pretty sure that the hardware (graphics hardware anyways) is hella powerful on the 3DS.
QUOTE said:
And yes, I do realize that the 3DS is running Super Street Fighter IV which looks phenomenal. The graphics seem simplistic compared to Ridge Racer especially since SSFIV has static backgrounds while Ridge Racer has dynamic backgrounds.
I think that was a developer choice. It might have interfered with the 3D effet... Dunno.
There are also reports of other games that have slowdown even in Nintendo's Pilotwings.
Other games slow down while playing Pilotwings? -_-
So what is it? Crappy hardware or what?

Feels Good Man

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
epicCreations.org said:
How many screens does the PSP render? One? And the 3DS renders... three.

Namco + good development? Those two go together? I'm pretty sure that the hardware (graphics hardware anyways) is hella powerful on the 3DS.

- And how many does the 3DS render when in 2D mode? It still runs in 30fps and looks pretty bad.
- But we could say the same thing for the two Ridge Racers I was comparing. Both made by Namco, one was released about 5 years ago, one released recently.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Just took a look at Ridge Racer 3D....yeah I have to say it's just lazy game development.

The 3DS' power hasn't really been pushed yet, so they can just shove out shitware like this until some good games come along. An easy buck.

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
Feels Good Man said:
Souldragon said:

Yeah, you're right... It was like a 1.7 GB limit that never went up.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WiiThoko said:
UniqueGeek said:
Oh come on, that's bullshit.
It isn't that hard to tell the difference between, say, the silky smooth 60 FPS on a Call of Duty game on the 360 and PS3 and the 30 FPS on the Wii.
From what I've heard, the human eye can see up to 60, which makes a lot more sense.

That is if you are trying to tell the difference between the two side-by-side (Or one after another). At 30 fps, it is possible to tell it isn't 60, but no one really cares after that point.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The FPS a human can perceive depends on what's being viewed. For an FPS, where the entirety of the screen can change quickly as you turn around, a high FPS count is needed. For an RTS where not nearly as much of the screen area changes as quickly, you can easily get away with half the FPS. In addition there's various tricks (such as motion blur) that can be used to make lower-FPS things appear smoother.

Anyways we can't tell how powerful it is yet.

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
The FPS a human can perceive depends on what's being viewed. For an FPS, where the entirety of the screen can change quickly as you turn around, a high FPS count is needed. For an RTS where not nearly as much of the screen area changes as quickly, you can easily get away with half the FPS. In addition there's various tricks (such as motion blur) that can be used to make lower-FPS things appear smoother.

Anyways we can't tell how powerful it is yet.

I'm hoping companies like capcom and square enix push the capabilities of the 3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: oh cool, I saw Space Invaders on that Nintendo Syl :D