Hardware How powerful does the WiiU have to be for you to be satisfied with it?

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 23,203
  • Replies 265

How powerful does the WiiU have to be for you to be satisfied with it?

• At least on-par with the PS3/360.

Votes: 58 23.4%
  • About a half-step above the PS3/360.

Votes: 113 45.6%
  • Significantly more powerful than the PS3/360 (1.1TFLOPS+)

Votes: 77 31.0%

• Total voters

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Even if the WiiU were not as powerful as the competition's next-gen systems, will those systems be powerful enough to prevent the WiiU from having some of the 3rd party games available to them? We've seen that the Wii, being immensely underpowered in comparison to current-gen system, was able to stay afloat very well due to their 1st- and 2nd-party titles. Now imagine if they had the 3rd-party support. If the WiiU can be within the ballpark to bring in 3rd-party developers, even if it is underpowered, then that would be enough for me.

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted_171835

OP
http://www.superphillipcentral.com/2...d-linzner.html

SP: Do you currently have a Wii U devkit? If so, has the system exceeded your expectations?

ML: We have a few Wii U devkits since quite some time. We even almost finished our first Wii U game. The kits exceeded our expectations in every way and we still learn how to get the best performance out of it. A good thing about Wii U is that it's very easy to develop for. You don't have so many limitations like on the other current gen platforms. For us the Wii U is the perfect platform with enough horsepower for many years to come. I think we currently only tapped 20% of its potential and our first game already looks and plays brilliant.

SP: What kind of potential for new ideas, games, and developers/publishers do you see for Nintendo's digital platforms?

ML: Digital is of course the future. We love that Nintendo doesn't really put restrictions on the developers what they want to do in the eShop. For us as a small developer it's like a dream come true to be able to design whatever we want and to bring it quickly to the players.

Some more positive Wii U news.

crono141

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Concerning the 1.5 gb of ram: PS3 and Xbox 360 have 512mb total (either dedicated plus vram, or shared). The wii, by comparison, has 88mb or ram TOTAL. 1.5 gb is plenty.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Concerning the 1.5 gb of ram: PS3 and Xbox 360 have 512mb total (either dedicated plus vram, or shared). The wii, by comparison, has 88mb or ram TOTAL. 1.5 gb is plenty.

Before someone brings up that the WiiU only has 1GB available for games because the OS possibly taking up 500MB, we should then mention that neither the PS3 nor the X360 have the full 512MB of RAM available for games too.

crono141

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Before someone brings up that the WiiU only has 1GB available for games because the OS possibly taking up 500MB, we should then mention that neither the PS3 nor the X360 have the full 512MB of RAM available for games too.

I think the 512 mb that are mentioned is the size of the NAND, not RAM. But I could be mistaken.

D

Deleted User

OP
Graphics are nice, but that's not what's gonna determine whether or not I buy this system.
IDC how much RAM and processing power the WiiU has. I just want it to be able to play the games without any lockups/framerate issues.
That's one of the things I hate about the Wii. :|

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Graphics are nice, but that's not what's gonna determine whether or not I buy this system.
IDC how much RAM and processing power the WiiU has. I just want it to be able to play the games without any lockups/framerate issues.
Framerate issues? I don't remember any of that happening for most Wii games (Nintendo games were always 60FPS while third-parties were usually a stable 30).

Reactions: 3 people
D

Deleted User

OP
Framerate issues? I don't remember any of that happening for most Wii games (Nintendo games were always 60FPS while third-parties were usually a stable 30).
For most First party games it wasn't an issue, but games like Harvest Moon, Naruto, Rune Factory, and some others games had framerate issues.
But only when there were multiple NPCs/Objects on the screen.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For most First party games it wasn't an issue, but games like Harvest Moon, Naruto, Rune Factory, and some others games had framerate issues.
But only when there were multiple NPCs/Objects on the screen.

In Nintendo's defense that sounds like lousy development and not the Wii's fault. I know the Wii is pretty weak but developers need to take this into account.

Although if you want lag incarnate you play Zangeki no Reginleiv. It can be a fun game but dear god does that framerate drop like the bass on a Skrillex song.

Reactions: 1 person

crono141

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Framerate drops pretty hard in elebits too. Its a slow drop so its hardly noticeable, but compare how the game behaves in the late levels with how it behaves in the fist level, and the lag becomes obvious.

fossda

Trophies
XP
Country
At least as powerful as the Xbox 360/PS3, full hd and 60 fps, and, most importantly, stereoptic 3d support with 3d TVs. The same as the current generation until the Kinect and Move came out: Graphics as good as previous generation, but more innovative controls.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
At least as powerful as the Xbox 360/PS3, full hd and 60 fps, and, most importantly, stereoptic 3d support with 3d TVs. The same as the current generation until the Kinect and Move came out: Graphics as good as previous generation, but more innovative controls.
What's that gonna mean with the PS4 and XBox 3 come out? Wii will be in a "separate class" all over again.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm happy with games staying the way the look now for quite some time, I've been playing Alan Wake on PC (which isn't that much more enhanced than the 360 version of 2010) and I think games can stay looking like that. I personally think this gen came a bit too soon (proof being Sony weren't ready with the PS3 yet) but Microsoft had to force it so they can get ahead. A lot of games from the last gen still look great, only downside many had was the lack of anti-aliasing.

However for Wii U to get more titles than Wii U it would need to have maybe a half step up, I really don't think Sony or Microsoft will have a new console until late 2014 and even then I'd doubt it'll be a huge step up.

fossda

Trophies
XP
Country
@xwatchmanx yes, but that's because the Wii U will be more innovative, and will have unique controls, as well as being more fun for the whole family. :yaywii:

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm happy with games staying the way the look now for quite some time, I've been playing Alan Wake on PC (which isn't that much more enhanced than the 360 version of 2010) and I think games can stay looking like that. I personally think this gen came a bit too soon (proof being Sony weren't ready with the PS3 yet) but Microsoft had to force it so they can get ahead. A lot of games from the last gen still look great, only downside many had was the lack of anti-aliasing.

However for Wii U to get more titles than Wii U it would need to have maybe a half step up, I really don't think Sony or Microsoft will have a new console until late 2014 and even then I'd doubt it'll be a huge step up.
Just because people like you and me are content with the way games look today doesn't meant the mainstream will be. I know the thread is says "for you to be satisfied," but I'm just saying. I'm personally worried about the 3rd party support. Plus, Sony already said that the PS4 is "all about being the best," and they want to make as powerful of a system as possible, so it can last. So at least ONE competitor would blow current-gen graphics away.

@xwatchmanx yes, but that's because the Wii U will be more innovative, and will have unique controls, as well as being more fun for the whole family. :yaywii:
That sort of saved the Wii during this generation (and helped it sell the best), but that's worn off in the past few years, and the Wii was laden with shovelware. I'd be hard pressed to say that innovation and family-friendliness on its own will be enough for the Wii U. They need to get the core gamer base back.

fossda

Trophies
XP
Country

Just because people like you and me are content with the way games look today doesn't meant the mainstream will be. I know the thread is says "for you to be satisfied," but I'm just saying. I'm personally worried about the 3rd party support. Plus, Sony already said that the PS4 is "all about being the best," and they want to make as powerful of a system as possible, so it can last. So at least ONE competitor would blow current-gen graphics away.

That sort of saved the Wii during this generation (and helped it sell the best), but that's worn off in the past few years, and the Wii was laden with shovelware. I'd be hard pressed to say that innovation and family-friendliness on its own will be enough for the Wii U. They need to get the core gamer base back.
See the ZOMBIEU trailer for the wii u.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes because having the best console that technically outstrips the competition in features and power has helped the Vita. Sony will rethink what they said originally.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps3 really has no titles worth going online
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    what is nps?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I feel like the world's cheapest pc build can play gtaV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In modern standards
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?