How old are you?

barak06

Trophies
XP
Country
France
51..... already.... :unsure:.... Time is the only Known dimension i dislike (one way)
But lot of people don't get so far... so :D

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Was anyone in any big online communities before this one? I was a member of GameTalk when I was around 15-17 years old. Modded the Dark Cloud (PS2) forum. That was so much fun. I used to get up at like 4am because that's when so the fun chatting happened on AOL instant messenger (of course most others were from the US)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Turning 50 this Sunday.

What do I win?
You should get a special medal for oldest member :toot:

Reactions: slaphappygamer

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad there are some older than me. I'm 30.

For those 25 and older, what was your first exposure to the net? I was about 12, and joined a chat room called "Acme Pet" using the school computers. I gave myself the username Quantum Cat, because the name Schroedinger's Cat was already taken :-) Then in high school (year 7) I discovered Neopets, and got all my friends to play it too, and the school blocked its first website ever.
When I was very young my father worked for a pipeline company and we did pretty well, financially speaking. My earliest exposure to the net that I can remember was in late 95 or 96 my dad bought a bunch of stocks and would get online daily to check them. Boring to a 5 year old, yes. But I can remember the old net quite well. Pages were mostly displayed as plain text or HTML. Links were much more noticeably either "blue" or "purple" (visited or not) thanks to the much more limited colors a monitor at that time could display. My dad used Netscape and Outlook for his business stuff. But what was the real fun for me was that when he would go online, after he checked his stocks, he had a site bookmarked for me. Every day he would visit this site that generated a maze and he would print it out for me. I had hundreds of mazes.

My next biggest remembrance wasnt until 98 or 99 when my dad starting getting into Y2K prep and other stuff. That was right around the time I remember our homepage being replaced with google...

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
When I was very young my father worked for a pipeline company and we did pretty well, financially speaking. My earliest exposure to the net that I can remember was in late 95 or 96 my dad bought a bunch of stocks and would get online daily to check them. Boring to a 5 year old, yes. But I can remember the old net quite well. Pages were mostly displayed as plain text or HTML. Links were much more noticeably either "blue" or "purple" (visited or not) thanks to the much more limited colors a monitor at that time could display. My dad used Netscape and Outlook for his business stuff. But what was the real fun for me was that when he would go online, after he checked his stocks, he had a site bookmarked for me. Every day he would visit this site that generated a maze and he would print it out for me. I had hundreds of mazes.

My next biggest remembrance wasnt until 98 or 99 when my dad starting getting into Y2K prep and other stuff. That was right around the time I remember our homepage being replaced with google...
Yeah I remember when Google came around. Before that it was Altavista, Yahoo, or Ask Jeeves :-p

Mansize

GBATemp Hardware
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
For those 25 and older, what was your first exposure to the net? I was about 12, and joined a chat room called "Acme Pet" using the school computers. I gave myself the username Quantum Cat, because the name Schroedinger's Cat was already taken :-) Then in high school (year 7) I discovered Neopets, and got all my friends to play it too, and the school blocked its first website ever.

With a crappy modem that made all sorts of noises and beeps, it was as expensive as calling. Since you had to pay for every byte downloaded, my parents restricted me to "one hour a day". Modern times create the illusion that the internet itself generates information; but back then it was crystal clear that man has to do its thing before stuff becomes available. It was like a desert; you had to put stuff out there yourself; it was your holy duty. Eventually, I connected with other gamers, and found out that I was stuck (for years [literally YEARS] in a Sierra PC VGA rpg/point and click adventure game called "Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness" because of a bug. Really now. Some people wasted years on fences, but I wasted years in some Eastern European inspired fantasy land because of a bug. Okay. That kind of patience is no longer needed in modern gaming I guess.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad there are some older than me. I'm 30.

First time "online" was in 1980. I'll come back and edit in a few. Eating right now.

Edit: there's a thread for this topic now. I'll post there.

Last edited by Hanafuda,

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My connection at the time 1996ish was 56k. Yes. Dialup. Had win95 on a P.O.S. HP pavilion. I'm not even sure why I started using the internet. Now, it's as essential as a telephone. I've been in the telecom business for 20 years now and I've seen the transition from rotary and 56k to voIP and now fiber. It's pretty crazy. My great great grandma died at 102. She remembers when cars came out.

MajinCubyan

The Funky Super Saiyan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be 29 in 8 days. o3o

My first time using the internet I can remember was visiting my Uncles house. Also when I discovered emulation, downloaded Chrono Trigger and zsnes from Zophar's Domain. Couldn't get it to load for the life of me. lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1