Hardware How much can I sell a softmodded 2DS for?

random_human_being_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Due to tendonitis I'm incapable of playing with my 2DS without severe pain to my hands.

It's a 2DS with a perfectly functional a9LH + Luma3DS setup, plus a 64gb SD with 43 3DS games (and a bunch of homebrew and virtual console stuff).

I want to give it a fair pricing, and I'm willing to help the buyer with any issue he/she might have afterwards.

I'd be selling it on a smaller website, so I'm not worried about the listing being flagged and/or removed.

Last edited by random_human_being_,
Reactions: NoNAND

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Wouldn't a 2DS that's been softmodded be worth more than one which hasn't? Where I live second-hand 2DSs go from 60€ upward.
I personally don't pay anything more for softmodding because the code and method are free online. Maybe someone else would, but not me personally.

Reactions: Bravalerie

random_human_being_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I personally don't pay anything more for softmodding because the code and method are free online. Maybe someone else would, but not me personally.

Of course, I personally went out of my way to ensure my 2DS was not already softmodded when I bought it.

Anyway, since there are even people enrolled in STEM degrees which have trouble doing basic tasks with a computer, I was wondering if most people found Plailect's guide overwhelming, and did not even want to attempt following it on their own. I mean, most people would actually pay to have a friggin' Wii softmodded, so I assume they'd see some added value in a hacked console (granted, I'd be upfront about the fact that I used resources freely available).

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Wouldn't a 2DS that's been softmodded be worth more than one which hasn't? Where I live second-hand 2DSs go from 60€ upward.
It costs more because it uses free for all code to enable homebrew which is available on (if im updated right) to everyone at the moment?
Why?

Scrap that, apparently quite a few retard shops do this modding for ridiculous amount money. :D 50$+ for a a9lh mod lol

Last edited by fatsquirrel,

random_human_being_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It costs more because it uses free for all code to enable homebrew which is available on (if im updated right) to everyone at the moment?
Why?

As I've said above, most people used to actually pay others to softmod their Wii. I know people on GBAtemp are tech literate enough that this is a non-issue, but I'm wondering if to the average Joe softmodding a 3DS is hard enough that an already softmodded one holds more value.

The thing is, every second hand 2DS or 3DS I see seems not to be softmodded, so I don't have any reference about their pricing.

Sascha93

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I sold mine here in Germany for 100 Euros after using it 1 week. (I upgraded to N3DS XL :) )
I think 80-85 dollars are realistic for you, if its in good condition.

Reactions: random_human_being_

ZERO16LIVES

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I normally do to guess what a game console is worth is look at what GameStop sells used ones for and plan to sell mine for a little less (because who would buy a used console from a stranger over an established business unless it was cheaper?), where I live a 2DS goes for $80USD at gamestop. Also, a softmod may make it worth more to some people (not me, personally) but keep in mind that many people may not know or care what a softmod is. All of that said, you can try listing it for a higher price and if it doesn't sell just lower the price (or let someone talk you down, I think it makes them feel like they got a better deal :P)

random_human_being_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What I normally do to guess what a game console is worth is look at what GameStop sells used ones for and plan to sell mine for a little less (because who would buy a used console from a stranger over an established business unless it was cheaper?), where I live a 2DS goes for $80USD at gamestop. Also, a softmod may make it worth more to some people (not me, personally) but keep in mind that many people may not know or care what a softmod is. All of that said, you can try listing it for a higher price and if it doesn't sell just lower the price (or let someone talk you down, I think it makes them feel like they got a better deal :P)

That's what I ended up doing; I put it for sale at 110€, and I've already been contacted by two people :yay: Of course, if they end up being interested I'll tell them that the tools I used are FOSS.

THFourteen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I am also selling a 2DS. It had custom firmware on it, but I got rid of it. I don't want to deal with someone buying it and not knowing how to use it properly, e.g. deleting the necessary files off the SD card, and then leaving me poor feedback as a seller.

I left it on the original firmware it came with (6.0)

Think i would take £54 for it including delivery (boxed, with manuals, charger, 4GB card and official red case)

ZERO16LIVES

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently got an unmodded 2DS for $70. Came on something like 7.0 firmware and was instantly modded again and sold for $100.

I might do that again this time around.

I just bought a broken one for $25 including shipping fixed and modded it and listed it on CL for $60, we'll see how it goes... Not selling it with a charger though because I don't have an extra one.

Oschara

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sold mine for 100. Came with 32 gb card and case. Charger and box. Not bad deal. Turned that around and got the unicorn at gamestop for 30. Sold my new 3ds xl black and smash bros. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi