jhoff80

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Basically, I was just wondering if anyone knows how many solder points are necessary for the Wiikey chip. As far as I know there haven't been any install diagrams, and the design of the chip and the wording of the original post made it seem like BOTH the solder pads and the quick soldering section is necessary. Has this been either confirmed or denied yet?

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here's the best I can do. This image is NOT official as far as I know, and may not in fact be the real product. It is showing up on a website that seems to have leaked images early and they will be a reseller apparently.

8367_16726.JPG

Notice that the larger quicksolder points seems to be in the same configuration as the power/ground points on the drive. To me this makes me think it is a drive chip. I see potentially two more quicksolder points, although there could be as many as 4 more quicksolder points. I can't completely reconcile the picture above with this mock-up which we're all familiar with:

chip.gif

In either case, the other quicksolder points don't seem to conform to the serial ports on the DVD drive, so my guess is that this is NOT a drive hack like the Wiinja or Cyclowiz.

It does seem that 4 wires are necessary. Someone said that maybe the wires are to be run to the mainboard while the chip itself resides on the drive. That would certainly open the console up to things like (J) and (U) playing on the same console. They could all just go to the drive. I know I would find it to be a pain in the ass to have to get all the way to the mainboard and even feed wires to it from the drive board, probably running parallel to the drive cable that resembles an IDE cable.

This is all conjecture, but maybe I've turned some proverbial light bulbs on.

jhoff80

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, what concerns me is the potential from that purple picture, that there appears to be 7 quicksolder points and 4 wires for a total of 11 soldering points.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ Aglae Pheryl: Hi folks