Results are only viewable after voting.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NOTE: I am unaware of Degree length in other countries. When i said 4+ year degree, i meant a bachelors degree or any degree above a associates. Sorry for the miscommunication.

This is just your average question. How many of you went to or plan on going to some form of secondary degree schooling and why?

This is not meant to shame anyone's decisions of how they plan to spend their adult life but rather a way to better understand the members of this site.

I'm just a curious person after all. :)

Last edited by Stephano,

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For what it's worth, the standard degree length in the UK is three years, so I don't really fit into any of these lol.
As for why I'm here... I came to my course knowing next to nothing on the subject matter. I wanted to learn skills that interested me, and in the last two years, I've managed that. My third year feels like a chance to really test what I've learned and how far I've come, and it's exciting. To think I may become a professional in this world is also somewhat exciting, though that's a thought that I've been pushing as far back in my mind as possible lol.

D

Deleted User

I was, admittedly, never really that on top of my college planning, but I was able to get into a good enough university, and now I'm pursuing a bachelor's degree in Computer Science. I'm hoping after this, I can either get into game development or work on useful software (apps that make life easier or more convenient). I have a background doing stuff in Python and C, so these first few weeks at university have been rather easy, as far as computer science is concerned.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I had every opportunity to go to college and I blew it. Sometimes being 18 doesn't means you know what you want to do with the rest of you life. Now I am 26 and no one wants to help me get into college.
Of course I still take every opportunity I can get to study the many fields of interest of mine and I've been looking into having my work help pay for my college education.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Being an adult sucks. Here, if you're not on the ball with a 4.0 GPA, in sports, or a single mother. You're stuck with loans to get you through college. You have to wonder if the $500/mo payment is worth it.

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm doing self-study on my own. I could never do college as I found the who thing a waste of time for my field (IT) Experience is king followed by certifications and schooling. Been working the last 2 years on getting a few certifications as I want to work in the IT Security field for the government by the time I hit 30.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Secondary schooling here is what most do from 11 though 16/18 so I imagine that is most here. Tertiary education tends to be what university and the like is called.

Anyway I am old enough that uni cost basically nothing* (cost wise now the UK is drawing inspiration from the US and it is not ideal) and being unable to answer the question of "what do you want to be when you grow up?" then and to this day I of course took the easy option of go to university. Did some postgrad stuff later with the open university, however that is an expensive hobby and it did what it needed to do (it really focused me and got all the skills in line) so I decided to go back to self learning which can be done with books in the library or that I pick up for "I did not think anybody would actually want that, taking that would actually be doing me a favour" in charity shops and second hand book shops.

*3 years, full whack of loan+tuition and I was out 13 or so grand. Don't pay it back if you earn less than a pretty liveable wage (something like £18K a year) and even then it is only a paltry sum that scales with wages and gets taken off the top if you are not self employed, interest is only inflation really, not linked to any credit scores per se (apparently the new stuff is), make it to 65 I think it was and it goes and is generally no hassle or anything that I have to worry about in the slightest.

Reactions: Quantumcat

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm in my first year of a four year Computer Science degree right now

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Being an adult sucks. Here, if you're not on the ball with a 4.0 GPA, in sports, or a single mother. You're stuck with loans to get you through college. You have to wonder if the $500/mo payment is worth it.
'murica *dead, pained smile*

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I went straight to work.

Education is expensive in Québec, and study debts aren't worth my time and dedication to get a better job.

At the end, I live fairly well under my middle class job that required no college degree, and unlike a bunch of my friends, I do not crawl under debts eating cheap ramen noodles every day.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
he standard degree length in the UK is three years,
Same here (Australia), I heard that first year university in the U.S. is like Year 12 here so that's why their degrees are 4 years.
Edit: by the way, going on eleven years studying, this year. And no I don't have lots of degrees, just two thirds of lots of different ones and work thrown in between :-p

Last edited by Quantumcat,

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Planning to do 2 year plus 4 year because Computer Science and trying to get into video game development is really fucking hard without an degree. For me it is. Well, the knowledge. People should just do it. This is why bad games are made. I never had a job before, and I'm 20. My life is in shambles. Not really. Damn college. Expensive shit. I'm just rambling at this point. :sleep:

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

CosmoCortney

i snack raw pasta and chew lollipops
Trophies
Website
follow-the-white-rabbit.wtf
XP
Country
Germany
I'm doing a 4-years apprenticeship on becoming a software developer. We can chose the direction by our own. I'm focusing on C++ programming (also with Qt), PHP web development and now game and app development with C# and Unity. Still 2 years to go where I'd like to get into Unreal Engine

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show.