• No

Votes: 5 5.0%

• Total voters

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even a gaming website isn't an accurate gauge of how well known gaming things are among gamers because people on here are the most dedicated of the gamers, plus you have to ask how many people who don't know what earthbound is are even going to bother entering the thread.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it annoys you so much then go post elsewhere....No one told you to come even read this. If Earthbound post annoy you then when you read the thread title you should have moved on...jeez

Earthbound posts don't annoy me, Earthbound fans do. They're almost up there with Smash Bros. fans in terms of annoyance and overpraising of their franchise.

Besides I think the point of the statement that spawned this whole thread is that Earthbound is not a big name which is absolutely true. I'm sure a decent amount of people have heard about it, but out of all those people, less have played it, and out of those people, less give a shit about it. I played Earthbound and just didn't give a shit. It's not that entertaining. I've played much better RPGs in my lifetime.

Earthbound is only notable because Mother 3 got one of the more "publicized" fan translations, that's basically it. Also because some people saw Ness in Smash Bros. and went "WHO IS THIS I AM THE NINTENDO MASTER I MUST KNOW EVERY FRANCHISE", Googled him, and then forced themselves into playing Earthbound and think it's "le great hidden gem".

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I only know it name thought some Nintendo direct, when some crazy guy keep shouting "Plz release Earthbound, Nintendo!"

Augusta

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Earthbound posts don't annoy me, Earthbound fans do. They're almost up there with Smash Bros. fans in terms of annoyance and overpraising of their franchise.

Besides I think the point of the statement that spawned this whole thread is that Earthbound is not a big name which is absolutely true. I'm sure a decent amount of people have heard about it, but out of all those people, less have played it, and out of those people, less give a !@#$%^&* about it. I played Earthbound and just didn't give a !@#$%^&*. It's not that entertaining. I've played much better RPGs in my lifetime.

Earthbound is only notable because Mother 3 got one of the more "publicized" fan translations, that's basically it. Also because some people saw Ness in Smash Bros. and went "WHO IS THIS I AM THE NINTENDO MASTER I MUST KNOW EVERY FRANCHISE", Googled him, and then forced themselves into playing Earthbound and think it's "le great hidden gem".

Earthbound...entertaining?
I'm sorry I just don't understand what bag of goods you were sold when you decided to play it but 'entertaining' doesn't even fit to begin with.
The game, heck the series is one that has a solemn tone throughout.

I've noticed that people who trash this game or hate the praise it gets are the people who expect this game to be gameplay driven or care very little for story.
I could ask you which RPG's you say are better and they would all have better gameplay I'd imagine, but fall short in the story department.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry I just don't understand what bag of goods you were sold when you decided to play it but 'entertaining' doesn't even fit to begin with.

I've noticed that people who trash this game or hate the praise it gets are the people who expect this game to be gameplay driven or care very little for story.
I could ask you which RPG's you say are better and they would all have better gameplay I'd imagine, but fall short in the story department.

The story isn't good either, spoiler alert.

Also almost all the RPGs I enjoyed I did because of the story much more than the gameplay. I think the only exception for stories in RPGs I take is Pokemon but even then I got real sick of their shit in recent years.

I don't like Earthbound because it's not good. The gameplay isn't fun. The story isn't interesting. It's just a le quirky aesthetic crammed with a Nintendo logo so people have a big ol' wank over it.

Also I have a huge wank over Spec Ops: The Line so I don't need a lecture on story vs. gameplay.

Reactions: Gahars

Augusta

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The story isn't good either, spoiler alert.

Also almost all the RPGs I enjoyed I did because of the story much more than the gameplay. I think the only exception for stories in RPGs I take is Pokemon but even then I got real sick of their !@#$%^&* in recent years.

I don't like Earthbound because it's not good. The gameplay isn't fun. The story isn't interesting. It's just a le quirky aesthetic crammed with a Nintendo logo so people have a big ol' wank over it.

Also I have a huge wank over Spec Ops: The Line so I don't need a lecture on story vs. gameplay.

I'm curious, what are some RPG's you put above Earthbound or the Mother series in general?
You mentioned Pokemon. I'm not sure if you're putting Spec Ops in the same category or not, but anything else?

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As an owner of a CIB copy of Mother 2, I'd say so.

Damn Guild, no need to shit on this game. I can agree with you that about 90% of the "fans" are annoying as fuck though. I think Ninty only released the VC version on Wii U to shut them up since a good percentage of YouTube comments of Nintendo Directs was "RELEASEZ EB FOR VC PLZ!!!!1!111111"

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Two of my favorite RPG series are Dragon Quest and I like Etrian Odyssey both series tend to get a bad rep from reviewers for not having a fleshed out story and repetitive gameplay due to "grinding". I also have no problem playing older games that have minimal story and simple gameplay like the original Phantasy Star.

To be completely honest, Earthbound honestly is one of the most overrated games along with Chrono Trigger. As you said the series stands out due to it's unique theme, but the story is just average at best, and the thing that confused me is that I found the gameplay really repetitive. I really don't know how Earthbound screwed that up since I can play the RPGs I've listed above for hours.

The entire Dragon Quest series
Etrian Oddyssey III (The series in general too)
Phantasy Star
Phantasy Star II
Final Fantasy V
Lufia
I can go on and on

Augusta

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Two of my favorite RPG series are Dragon Quest and I like Etrian Odyssey both series tend to get a bad rep from reviewers for not having a fleshed out story and repetitive gameplay due to "grinding".

And rightfully so.
If you have no concern for story and care more about gameplay, it's assumed that you won't like Earthbound. I don't think anyone plays Earthbound for the gameplay and that's a huge misconception people have when they pick it up. They expect something completely different from what the game offers.

To be completely honest, Earthbound honestly is one of the most overrated games along with Chrono Trigger. As you said the series stands out due to it's unique theme, but the story is just average at best, and the thing that confused me is that I found the gameplay really repetitive. I really don't know how Earthbound screwed that up since I can play the RPGs I've listed above for hours.

Earthbound is story driven.
If you expect gameplay from Earthbound, it goes without saying that you will be disappointed.

The thing that I don't understand however is that Earthbound is an RPG.
Why are people expecting amazing gameplay from an RPG? A SNES RPG for that matter?
People who can't get through the game because of the 'graphics'...it makes me wonder. Although I was once like this.

It's like people who won't watch certain anime because the drawing is 'bad'.
It seems that gameplay and asthetics are so high on people's lists that they forget the most important aspect of RPG's, the story.
I'm not insinuating that all RPG's put story at the top (Tales for example) but alot of people need to see Earthbound for what it is...and what it isn't. Guild doesn't seem to grasp that at this point in time.

The entire Dragon Quest series
Etrian Oddyssey III (The series in general too)
Phantasy Star
Phantasy Star II
Final Fantasy V
Lufia
I can go on and on

Granted, I just feel like people should understand what type of game they're getting themselves into before that bash it.
Guild's reasons for bashing Earthbound cause me to question if he even finished the game. Putting a game like Pokemon in the same category as Earthbound makes me wonder if he has any idea which categories fit into what. I can only hope he's bashing out of ignorance because spouting memes only hurt his case...

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Earthbound fans sure can be a special kind of pretentious. :rolleyes:

I'm all for story-driven games, but a game is a game first and foremost. I can forgive a lot of faults and flaws, but if the gameplay is utter shit, I don't care how good your story is. Gameplay is the defining, central element of a game. If you're not interested in making a game, then tell your story through some other medium.

A cartoon with a bad artstyle and bad animation is a bad cartoon, plain and simple, the same way a song performed by people who can't play instruments and someone who can't sing is a bad song no matter how nice the lyrics are.

It's not just about how good a story is. It's about how well you tell that story. "It's just an RPG!" is just a weak excuse all around..

Besides, telling him "It's all about the story!" only hurts your argument when he's already said he didn't like the story, so...

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
How about this...
How many of you know about the Tengai Makyou series? They exactly play like the Mother series (minus the Itoi writing, sure, but the wackiness, the humour and the sheer number of new ideas make up for it) but none of them were released outside Japan.
They are mostly set in a Japanese setting though, but Tengai Makyou IV is set in the (fictional) US, and is hilarious all around.

t4map2.jpg

A terrible pop singer that makes the youth of Seattle turn into werewolves during Satanic rituals, that in turn maul an Indian tribe chief when he does his "I'm a friend to all living things, for example this doggy..." speech... to coerce him to abandon his village so that she can build a giant cat-girl themed dome city where corrupt values thrive. And she's dressed like a stripper, and thus accordingly offers her body to the hero (who's a demon hunter who hunts demons in America) when they meet
A cannibalistic pig woman that promotes obesity as a sign of manhood, and incidentally collects flesh for the Dark Cult (she and Candy -the stripper singer, actually they're named the Apostles of the Dark Cult, and yes, they HAVE a church where said stripper's photograph are hanged with a homosexual crook mechant (who has a secret identity- leads the rituals) - they both do fully voiced musicals before the mid-boss battle). She attacks with her belly for massive damage.
An immortal monkey that proclaimed himself the ruler of Lake Tahoe (renaming it Lake Aho aka Stupid)
A film producer that kills actors casually and aspires you inside movies to battle their tormented souls before imprisoning you in Alcatraz and then challenging to a duel you and your Geisha Mecha Robo against the aforementioned immortal monkey

A book that turns everyone who reds it blue (even the NPCs) and to remedy this you have to create a party member: you draw him, you name him (and he reads his name aloud! 7 years before Tetra Trackers and 17 before Tomodachi Life) and then you enter the book that's a dungeon exactly like Paper Mario only better aesthetically
NPCs and battles are fully animated anime that take up the whole screen, battles depend on the timing of your key press (in the PSP version at least)

There's much more, but I don't want to spoil it :D

The plot is ridiculous, especially how you find out your soon-to-be party members are Chosen Heroes of Fire, and where the marks of the heroes are on their body :P
And any sense of political correctness is thrown out of the window.. besides the above, there's a black man who joins your party who has chains dangling from his arms for whatever reason. Oh, and he's the Jamaican coach for the (now zombified thanks to the Dark Cult) Mexican bobsleigh team.

Made by the same people behind the Sakura Taisen series.

PLAY IT. Learn Japanese for it, or use a walkthrough. The PSP version is the best one, even though it's missing some frames on bosses and finisher animations and some 3D animations (it's a mostly 2D game, doesn't matter.

Tengai Makyou Zero is one of the best games on the Super Famicom and is worth it, even though it's less humorous.
Manjimaru is a classic but you'll really need good knowledge of Japanese (it has a DS port), and its spin-off doesn't disappoint; but they haven't aged that well graphically. If you can bear FF4/5 spirites though, give those two a go.

EZ-Megaman

Likeanator
Trophies
XP
Country
How about this...
Tengai Makyou Zero is one of the best games on the Super Famicom and is worth it, even though it's less humorous.
Manjimaru is a classic but you'll really need good knowledge of Japanese (it has a DS port), and its spin-off doesn't disappoint; but they haven't aged that well graphically. If you can bear FF4/5 spirites though, give those two a go.

I heard that Far East of Eden is a good series and is close to Moon n terms of humour, but is the first really worth playing? It sounds lacking compared to the sequels.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
earthbound is that one game with ness which everyone knows about that ever played smash bros.
while i like it for that one mechanic where you just auto win battles against weak monsters without having to sit through the actual battle, i never played it very far

Augusta

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Earthbound fans sure can be a special kind of pretentious. :rolleyes:

I'm all for story-driven games, but a game is a game first and foremost. I can forgive a lot of faults and flaws, but if the gameplay is utter !@#$%^&*, I don't care how good your story is. Gameplay is the defining, central element of a game. If you're not interested in making a game, then tell your story through some other medium.

A cartoon with a bad artstyle and bad animation is a bad cartoon, plain and simple, the same way a song performed by people who can't play instruments and someone who can't sing is a bad song no matter how nice the lyrics are.

It's not just about how good a story is. It's about how well you tell that story. "It's just an RPG!" is just a weak excuse all around..

Besides, telling him "It's all about the story!" only hurts your argument when he's already said he didn't like the story, so...

This whole post defines the problem with our society today.

In essence, someone can have a compelling argument but that wouldn't matter to you. The person's voice is monotone, no sense of emotion or appeal, therefore it's a BAD ARGUMENT.
It's the person that yells the loudest, that person has the better argument. It's obvious, can you sense the passion in his voice? His charisma...unmatched!

It truly is a shame how much stuff you'll miss out on with this kind of logic. It's almost a kind of laziness if anything.
People don't understand the praise Earthbound gets because they don't want to.
This post is a prime example of that.

EDIT:
Gameplay is the defining, central element of a game.
Statements like this are absolutely absurd.
At least state it as an opinion.

RPG_Lover

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I enjoyed Earthbound and have played through it a number of times. I own the SNES cart, the Super Famicom cart (complete in box - got a great deal at a flea market on it), and the VC release on the Wii U since the battery in my carts are dead & I've yet to replace them. Greatest game/series ever? No, but it's fun to me - which in my living room is all that matters. :lol:

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
This whole post defines the problem with our society today.

In essence, someone can have a compelling argument but that wouldn't matter to you. The person's voice is monotone, no sense of emotion or appeal, therefore it's a BAD ARGUMENT.
An argument is not compelling if the delivery is lacking. Compelling defines the interest, and unless you are a very special kind of person, monotone is always boring.

It's the person that yells the loudest, that person has the better argument. It's obvious, can you sense the passion in his voice? His charisma...unmatched!
I don't believe that you understand what charisma is. I don't think you know what half of the words you're trying to use to make your point mean.

Also, gameplay isn't the defining characteristic of a game? Maybe for one or two genres, but Earthbound does not claim to be a visual novel, so, essentially, you are wrong. It isn't even a matter of opinion. You are blatantly, unmistakably wrong.

To the OP: You realize, you only validate a person's argument when you have to desperately run off and prove something like this, right? Like you're so scared that they're right, that first you need to prove your point to yourself. Even with the numbers, his point will still stand that Earthbound and the Mother series as a whole is relatively obscure outside of a small handful of places. You still aren't right, though, if this somehow helps you to sleep better at night, I guess keep inciting the single most unbearable fanbase that can be found on this website.

Reactions: Gahars

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
I heard that Far East of Eden is a good series and is close to Moon n terms of humour, but is the first really worth playing? It sounds lacking compared to the sequels.

The humour is similar indeed, but the first FEotE is lacking. It's a DQ clone that's taking itself too seriously, and the graphics are much less appealing and expressive. It did however, believe it or not, manage to be the first CD-based and voice acted RPG ever, and is influent enough it inspired Orochimaru, Jiraya and Tsunade's names in Naruto. If you want to play it so bad you can check on the better X360 remake.

About Moon (the same developers went on to make lots of other games, including ones that were localized or translated in some capacity like Giftpia/CaptainRainbow/Chulip/Tingle DS1/Tingle DS2) their wackiness is imo on a whole another level than either Mother or Tengai Makyou, I wouldn't compare it with those

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn