ByJustAsix
OP
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
Me and some guy were having a discussion and it was said that if I asked 1000 people that 10 or so would know what Earthbound/Mother is....so here we go. Do you know what Mother/Earthbound is

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know what it is but that is because
a) I help out on a flash cart/emulator happy forum where the Mother/Earthbound games are ones that have been known to cause trouble for those playing in such circles.
b) I occasionally like to look through "best game" lists.
c) I was curious what the hell a Ness was when I played a super smash brothers game one time so I went and looked it up.

I can well believe not so many games types are aware of them. More so in Europe considering the only entry outside Japan was on the NES and did not come out in Europe, at least not until the virtual console some time last year.
Beyond that I will slag you off if you have not played Doom and certain arcade games and claim to have a knowledge of game history; I will not even blink if you have never heard of mother/earthbound and would not suggest you go back and play it either, save perhaps if we are having a discussion of Japanese role playing type things but not in a generic fantasy world.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Never played, but I know what it is.

I assume a large portion of people know Earthbound simply from Smash Bros alone. But it is mentioned around here at times too.
It's a very iconic series, whoever you were talking is an idiot.

Reactions: KingAsix

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nope this was the guys comment

"That doesn't mean that the game has an identity. You could ask about 1000 gamers what "Earthbound" is and only about 10 or so would be able to tell you."
This is a Nintendo based site, you're far more likely to get a positive response here. That said I never knew what it was before I tried to find out what Ness and Lucas were from.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope this was the guys comment

"That doesn't mean that the game has an identity. You could ask about 1000 gamers what "Earthbound" is and only about 10 or so would be able to tell you."
Lol what?
He sounds like the type of guy who thinks certain games are obscure because they don't compete with AAA games.

Eartbound has a unique style, so yes it has an identity, and tons of people know about it which is why it's achieved a cult status within the gaming community.

Reactions: Essometer

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think everybody knows what Earthbound is - its fans keep talking about it on and on. I heard about it, I read the story excerpts, I saw the gameplay... No. I can't get over the style of the series, it's not my cup of tea.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can we just rename this "The Earthbound circlejerk thread" and have everyone orgasm and be done with it?

I swear we always get a really annoying Earthbound thread once every few months and every post is just filled with the sound of my continued sighing.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mr. T told me about how much he loves his Mother.

But seriously, this poll isn't going to prove anything to your friend, as it's basically one step below going to a Mother/EB fan site and asking if they know what it is. Of course most people here know, and I'm not convinced that people saying they don't might not just be messin witcha.

Even if the original argument was about gamers, there's still a sizable fanbase for that series here, not surprising since it's a Nintendo game. You need to ask somewhere like IGN or (ugh) GameFAQS.

Reactions: Deleted User

Paarish

Connor's Nublet
Trophies
XP
Country
You're posting this on a video game forum. Not only that but a video game forum which has a Nintendo handheld as it's name. People here are gonna know what Earthbound is. I'm sure your friend meant a more neutral ground :unsure:
I know what Earthbound but have never played though to answer your question.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
OP
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
Once again he himself said if I asked "gamers" not just anyone....I just did this to prove a point to myself cause I am that kinda guy (today). Ok yeah I guess I did ask on a Nintendo oriented forum but the statement said if I asked 1000 GAMERS that would not know what Earthbound was (only 10 or so would)...not played or liked but knew what Eathbound was.

Can we just rename this "The Earthbound circlejerk thread" and have everyone orgasm and be done with it?

I swear we always get a really annoying Earthbound thread once every few months and every post is just filled with the sound of my continued sighing.

If it annoys you so much then go post elsewhere....No one told you to come even read this. If Earthbound post annoy you then when you read the thread title you should have moved on...jeez

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I would never have heard about it if it wasn't for gbatemp. Oh, and that I regularly watch/read 'top 100'-rated (retro) games. It's in pretty much all of those lists, so...it's probably better to use THAT as an argument to your friend rather than asking about it on a site that would probably have been named earthboundtemp if gbatemp or badpuntemp wasn't taken. ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1