How many of you here are actually mad that your 3DS has TN displays?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by mario-lucis-caelum, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Logan Pockrus

Member Logan Pockrus Knawledge is key.

United States
    TN it is, then. Well I obviously don't care, as I didn't even know about it in the first place. Baffles me how people are so particular about these things.

2. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye Oh boy! I can't wait to bomb some dodongos!

Norway
    I don't really care either way. I'm pretty sure i have dual TN because it's a launch small n3DS and the screens look fine to me. I have done the tests to check if I have TN or IPS and it looks like TN, but I don't play games at extreme angles so during gameplay I would never notice.

3. thekarter104

Member thekarter104 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Is it only about the color or is blurriness there aswell?

4. Icirrus

Member Icirrus GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    It washes out a bit

5. Aqib Ali

Member Aqib Ali GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    I don't know about the 'blur' but there is a difference looking at an angle.

6. Jayro

Member Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

United States
    Got a red 3DS XL at a pawnshop, had an IPS top screen. Looked great too.

7. invaderyoyo

Member invaderyoyo invader

United States
    Color and ghosting. The ghosting's especially noticeable in SNES games like Super Mario World.

8. mario-lucis-caelum
    OP

Member mario-lucis-caelum GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    There's actually a noticeable difference in color between the two displays even while viewing them head on. IPS displays produces more rich and vibrant colors than TN does.

A good example of this is Resident Evil Revelations. Play the intro cutscene and compare the two displays side by side. The difference in quality is night and day.

Here's a video of it skip to 3:45

It just pisses me off a bit that I'm not getting the best visual quality on mine.

Last edited by mario-lucis-caelum, Jan 10, 2017
    tipsytoto and invaderyoyo like this.
  9. invaderyoyo

United States
    Thank you! Idk how people can say there's no difference or that it's not noticeable. If you've played on both you CAN see the difference right away.

I don't know what to tell these people. Now, if you don't care about it, that's fine, but it's a different story.

anonynom and mario-lucis-caelum like this.
  10. IpsoFact0

Member IpsoFact0 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    i could care less...its obviously not noticeable

and i dont have OCD

11. mario-lucis-caelum
    OP

Member mario-lucis-caelum GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    Maybe they're saying that to make themselves feel good? Idk.

Is there anyway I can replace my top screen? There's this guy in my area who replaces 3DS screens but he wants me to pay him $70 to replace my tn top with an IPS top screen. Good deal? Or nah just keep tn? My 3DS still has warranty too.

12. IpsoFact0

Member IpsoFact0 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    i have 3 3ds 2 of them are TN one IPS...there is no difference.

"there anyway I can replace my top screen? There's this guy in my area who replaces 3DS screens but he wants me to pay him $70 to replace my tn top with an IPS top screen. Good deal? Or nah just keep tn? My 3DS still has warranty too."

WOW...people are weird man

Last edited by IpsoFact0, Jan 10, 2017
  13. lonewolf08

Member lonewolf08 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm not mad per say but I am a stickler for consistency when it comes to most things and the randomness of it really irks me. When I buy something, as a consumer, I just assume that if im buying the same model as my next door neighbor then we have the same exact thing but when it comes to the 3ds it could be different and I think that's wrong or at the very least misleading. That said, now that my screen is cracked, I just wish I had a screen at all but I would still prefer an IPS if I had a choice especially for the same price because then it feels like you're getting gimped and for someone that doesn't have money like me it can hurt.

Last edited by lonewolf08, Jan 10, 2017
    mario-lucis-caelum likes this.
  14. invaderyoyo

United States
    Idk. I wouldn't do it. It obviously depends on how much it matters to you.

Weird for wanting the better of the 2 displays while paying the same amount of money?

15. bidiminished

Newcomer bidiminished Member

Australia

It's because TN displays are a thing of the past. Moreover, the DSi XL had dual IPS displays.

16. Logan Pockrus

Member Logan Pockrus Knawledge is key.

United States
    That makes sense. Everyone's entitled to their opinion and their preferences, but this just seems like such a nonissue.

17. bahamut920

Member bahamut920 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I haven't watched any side-by-side comparison videos, but I have played the same game on both of my consoles previously (although not at the same time), and I honestly haven't noticed a difference. And if I need to be playing the same game twice at the same time to notice an actual difference, it might as well be nonexistent.

If you're still under warranty, I'd recommend against it. If something goes wrong, you're boned if you void the warranty. At least wait until it expires, when you have nothing left to lose. I'm surprised that, if it matters that much to you, you didn't do the Gamestop Shuffle to make sure you got one with dual IPS.

I can understand why people would care, especially if they can tell the difference in the displays without assistance, but even for reasons like "I'm not getting the same tech my neighbor is" and such. I simply can't bring myself to care personally.

Logan Pockrus likes this.