Hardware How many of you here are actually mad that your 3DS has TN displays?

mario-lucis-caelum

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I used to be so pissed off about this cause in my mind Nintendo screwed me over by giving me a 3DS that had a lower quality screen compared to those people who were lucky enough to score ips displays. I mean, I paid the same amount as anyone else had so shoudn't I get the same high quality product that they did? But now that I have hacked my 3DS I don't really mind the screen that much sure the colors are a bit washed out and dull compared to ips ones but I'm screwing Nintendo over as well by pirating their games so it's all good.

Just curious how many of you here are mad about the crappy TN screen.

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does not bother me ether i don't really care because ether way in the end i can still play my games on them.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right here. All of my n3dsxl's have been Top IPS or dual IPS. Recently, though, I got a good deal on a brand new Fire Emblem N3DSXL. The top turned out to be TN...

I won't even use the thing. The color difference doesn't bother me so much, but what really does it is the ghosting. TN screens ghost more than IPS and it's super noticeable when playing SNES games.

RivenMain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I consider the price difference between tn to ips it becomes a no brainer that unless nintendo makes them themselves for a cheaper cost they lose out on money as each ips screen can go for 50$ well tn is 20-30 in the end its what makes them the best profit. My first was dual tn o3dsxl Found it outside in a park so no complaints xD. eventually the screen got a few dead pixels and stopped turning on, Went around shopping for a dual ips n3dsxl for a while eventually found one. At first its felt like "oh that's nice," because you couldn't really tell a color difference until you put a tn by it. I wasn't mad about what I had before, but for the money you pay you want the best, but if you don't know the difference then its not nintendo's, but the comsumers fault for not knowing what they're buying unless they simply don't know and wanna play the games which is pretty much why you'd be buying the 3ds.

mario-lucis-caelum

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
When I consider the price difference between tn to ips it becomes a no brainer that unless nintendo makes them themselves for a cheaper cost they lose out on money as each ips screen can go for 50$ well tn is 20-30 in the end its what makes them the best profit. My first was dual tn o3dsxl Found it outside in a park so no complaints xD. eventually the screen got a few dead pixels and stopped turning on, Went around shopping for a dual ips n3dsxl for a while eventually found one. At first its felt like "oh that's nice," because you couldn't really tell a color difference until you put a tn by it. I wasn't mad about what I had before, but for the money you pay you want the best, but if you don't know the difference then its not nintendo's, but the comsumers fault for not knowing what they're buying unless they simply don't know and wanna play the games which is pretty much why you'd be buying the 3ds.
I disagree. If you're going to purchase a product, which in this case is a new xl, you're going to automatically assume that all models have the same build quality. Also, if you look at a 3DS display model on your local game store, you'll see that they are actually using dual ips 3DS'. So they actually advertising the new xl as having dual ips displays.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Not many I assume. If this was such an issue, the 3ds wouldn't have walloped it's pretty-screened direct competition 62 mil to 15.

You always hear about this though due to a noisy minority who expects a toy company, Nintendo, to make fancy audio-visual gear. It's not what they do. They make toys that focus on fun over technology -- and until mobile came -- it worked very well. (and don't tell me kids prefer their phones over 3ds because teh HD IPS screen, that's BS)

RivenMain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I disagree. If you're going to purchase a product, which in this case is a new xl, you're going to automatically assume that all models have the same build quality. Also, if you look at a 3DS display model on your local game store, you'll see that they are actually using dual ips 3DS'. So they actually advertising the new xl as having dual ips displays.

All models do share the same build quality just not screens, I didn't notice that though. I live in a small town where they took the displays down. If your selling a product though you'd want the product to look the best you can make it so I can't say I discourage it from Nintendo.

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
To be honest, I find it a little strange that people would care that much in the first place. Each to one's own, I suppose, but I just don't care.

anonynom

Punchyleaf
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was a little disheartened at first but now I couldn't give a flying dinkyl honestly. It doesn't make the system any less playable and I do have a dual IPS system even if it did bother me.

bahamut920

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have both a dual IPS n3DS XL and a dual TN o3DS. I honestly can't tell the difference unless viewing at extreme angles. The ghosting on the 3DS is nowhere near as bad as it was on the original PSP-1000; I find it barely noticeable, if at all. I didn't even think to check until after I'd gotten my n3DS home and played with it for a while.

How can you even tell if it has TN displays? I've never even thought about it.
Put the "cursor" on the Notifications app (the one with the big green speech bubble. Then move the console around while keeping your head in the same spot, and make sure to change viewing angles. If the icon changes color, you have a TN display.

I have no clue,l never saw a difference. I probably have a TN screen because I bought the 3DS in 2011.
I think only new 3DS units even have the possibility of having an IPS display. If you have an o3DS, you almost 100% have dual TN displays.

Reactions: Logan Pockrus

Blue

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There aren't IPS O3DS afaik.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm just pissed mine has a dead pixel lol.

chaosrunner

Substitute Soul Reaper
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yes another theread for tn and ips screens its not like we have over 10 of these threads or anything btw i have tn cus old 3ds

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Icirrus

Trophies
XP
Country
Not sure why you're so salty. It's a screen which doesn't effect the gameplay at all. Yes I was able to get IPS displays. I have 1 out of 8 3DSes with a TN display. Doesn't matter at all. In normal gameplay you shouldn't notice. Don't try to justify pirating with a shitty excuse "Oh I don't have a nice screen. Let me be a douche and pirate. Yeah that'll show them" Dude.... Stop being a child

Reactions: testerfan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1