Gaming How many DVD-R DL games are there?

its_me_mario

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
How many (backup) game titles are released in the DVD-R DL format? I have heard that most modchips don't support DVD-R DL discs!

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Seems you are asking two questins at once:
How many games are released as dvd-r:
I think the answer would be none. "Backup" games are released in .iso format. What media you burn that iso to is your decision.
How many games are DL:
one ,IIRC, and its SSBB

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Only SSBB is dual layer yet.

If you mean legit releases on DVD-R DL, none. Nintendo doesn't allow such things. "DVD" isn't the actual name of their Wii disc format for that matter, instead they're an unlicensed clone of DVD.

its_me_mario

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think the DVD-R DL are very expensive! Esspecialy when you take brands like PHILPS, Verbatim (Mitsubishi) it costs more then £ 1.50 or € 2.60
angry.gif

I hope Nintendo will release only DVD-R single sided games
smile.gif

Whizz

When things don't go right, go left.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Aw, c'mon dude. Don't go complaining about it being expensive. If it's too expensive for ya, buy the original game. (€44?). Good thing you didn't get an Xbox 360...

And by the way, Nintendo releases Wii Optical Discs (you could call them modified dvds). Someone dumps this disc to an ISO. You download the ISO and burn it to a DVD (+R or -R).

suppachipmunk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know this is going to be a noob question.

I know that you have to have a certain LG Optical Drive in order to read Wii and Gamecube discs.

But what about burning them? Can I use my Sony Nec Drive to burn Wii games to DVD+R and play them on a modded Wii?

Also, what is the recommended media type? I know it is Taiyo Yuden DVD+R for the PS2 and Ritek G04 for the Gamecube.

Thanks in advance

Whizz

When things don't go right, go left.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
suppachipmunk said:
I know this is going to be a noob question.

I know that you have to have a certain LG Optical Drive in order to read Wii and Gamecube discs.

But what about burning them? Can I use my Sony Nec Drive to burn Wii games to DVD+R and play them on a modded Wii?

Also, what is the recommended media type? I know it is Taiyo Yuden DVD+R for the PS2 and Ritek G04 for the Gamecube.

Thanks in advance

Most burners will do the trick, recommended media are Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden.

its_me_mario

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Whizz said:
And by the way, Nintendo releases Wii Optical Discs (you could call them modified dvds). Someone dumps this disc to an ISO. You download the ISO and burn it to a DVD (+R or -R).

I don't think so dude! You can't burn DVD+R or DVD+R DL, because the 'DVD player' inside the Wii is a DVD-R player not a DVD+R player. So I think if you want to kill the laser beam in the Wii, you can indeed burn DVD+R or DVD+R DL
rolleyes.gif

The best DVD burner out there is the Poineer DVR 115-D with firmware 1.18!

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
its_me_mario said:
Whizz said:

I don't think so dude! You can't burn DVD+R or DVD+R DL, because the 'DVD player' inside the Wii is a DVD-R player not a DVD+R player. So I think if you want to kill the laser beam in the Wii, you can indeed burn DVD+R or DVD+R DL
rolleyes.gif

Playing NTSC SSBB from verbatim 2.4x DVD+R DL since it was dumped. No problems. Wii still reads other disks fine. If you think you can "kill the laser beam in the Wii" by using a DVD+R then you need to do some more research about optical media and devices.

klyick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its_me_mario said:
Whizz said:

rolleyes.gif

LOL.

P.S.

I love poineer!

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
its_me_mario said:
Whizz said:

rolleyes.gif

Wrong. It's a Pioneer 215 with firmware 1.18. SATA FTW

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0