Hardware How many controllers in general can the Wii U support simultaneously?

10_0ARMY

THE *Original* 1 Man Army
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I agree with you but, ever heard of "Samba De Amigo"? I would rather play that game with 2 Wii remotes than with a remote and nunchuck and both "We Cheer" games are WAY better with dual Wii Remotes
I've never heard of either of those games.
Exactly, but games that do require split screens will be limited by screen size. I just don't see Nintendo making a lot of games more than 4 players plus one on the gamepad.
I agree. Can you imagine NSMB with 8 players? Mario, Luigi, and 6 toads? :lol:

I would lol if there were that many toads on the scree at one time :D

Reactions: 1 person

JFTS

Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Does anyone know if the Wii U Pro Controller will be available for every game? It has the same layout and buttons as the pad, minus the screen. I'd love to go back to the traditional control scheme.

TeeR

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Traditional being two joysticks in the main controller area and the main A, B, X & Y buttons being pushed into a corner.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know if the Wii U Pro Controller will be available for every game? It has the same layout and buttons as the pad, minus the screen. I'd love to go back to the traditional control scheme.
For multiplayer games I'm sure, but for single player games that utilize the gamepad, I highly doubt it. It wouldn't make much sense either, because they're trying to push their new innovation. Can you imagine if Nintendo made "optional" classic controller support in Zelda: Skyward Sword? It would've completely defeated the purpose of all the motion based controls when they're trying to push the wii motion plus. Besides, aside from the touch screen, the controls on the gamepad are the exact same.

Schezo92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
... They could have included them if they wanted to. They just didn't.
How could they have overcome the issues I just mentioned? They already said one of the reasons they excluded Princess Peach as a playable character is that her dress would "get in the way" and mess with the hitboxes. So we know there's at least one time they've excluded a character for this reason.
Well that's just a lazy excuse, they could've just redesigned Peach to wear something else than a dress if they really wanted to.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Well that's just a lazy excuse, they could've just redesigned Peach to wear something else than a dress if they really wanted to.
That still wouldn't change the fact that she's structurally a very different shape and size from either Mario brother. No, it's not a lazy excuse, it's common sense.

JFTS

Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
For multiplayer games I'm sure, but for single player games that utilize the gamepad, I highly doubt it. It wouldn't make much sense either, because they're trying to push their new innovation. Can you imagine if Nintendo made "optional" classic controller support in Zelda: Skyward Sword? It would've completely defeated the purpose of all the motion based controls when they're trying to push the wii motion plus. Besides, aside from the touch screen, the controls on the gamepad are the exact same.
The controls are the same on the gamepad, but that doesn't change the fact you hold a modern brick in your hands. Call me cynical, but if there was an "entry level" basic pack for Wii U with only the classic controller, I'd choose it without concern. I bought the Wii and DS almost immediately after they came out and to this day, I still regard the whole "motion" thing nothing more than a gimmick.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The controls are the same on the gamepad, but that doesn't change the fact you hold a modern brick in your hands. Call me cynical, but if there was an "entry level" basic pack for Wii U with only the classic controller, I'd choose it without concern. I bought the Wii and DS almost immediately after they came out and to this day, I still regard the whole "motion" thing nothing more than a gimmick.
Yep. Cynical :P But hey, cynicism can be good sometimes.

I feel that the Wii's motion was gimmicky through most of its lifespan and third party games (id est, Resident Evil IV Wii edition, where there were instances that you had to "shake" the wiimote to run). Way too many games used the motion controls simply as a replacement for button controls, for no arbitrary reason except for the sake of using motion controls. But I feel that some games, especially Nintendo's first party titles. utilized motion controls very well in ways for which regular controls were impractical or less perfect for the job. Id est, aiming in Metroid Prime Trilogy. The wiimote was basically born for first person shooters (even if it didn't get many that were that good). Super Mario Galaxy's use of motion was minimal, but it was just enough to supplement the gameplay without getting in the way (how many action platformers can you name that involve a point-shooter element? it would get in the way without motion controls). And despite its flaws, I think Metroid: Other M did a great job of incorporating motion into its gameplay. And Zelda: Skyward Sword is the epitome of motion controls done right. Sure, it had a couple gimmicky moves (like rearranging the boss keys in the lock in every freaking dungeon), but overall it did a great job with motion-based gameplay that truly DEMANDED the use of motion, rather than arbitrarily replacing standard controls with motion. You know what I mean?

Anyway, who knows, maybe your mind will change when you hold the gamepad. It honestly doesn't really look that heavy to me, and most people who've used it hands-on seem to like it, so I don't really see the problem. And It looks like a WHOLE lot of games coming out at launch make use of the gamepad, so I think it would be ridiculous to make a pack that came without the gamepad.

That said, I don't know about your country, but in the USA, they aren't selling extra gamepads at first because none of the games coming in the launch window support two pads. Who knows, maybe you can find someone who wants a second pad, sell yours to them, and buy 2 or 3 pro controllers with the money you make. :P

JFTS

Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Yep. Cynical :P But hey, cynicism can be good sometimes.

I feel that the Wii's motion was gimmicky through most of its lifespan and third party games (id est, Resident Evil IV Wii edition, where there were instances that you had to "shake" the wiimote to run). Way too many games used the motion controls simply as a replacement for button controls, for no arbitrary reason except for the sake of using motion controls. But I feel that some games, especially Nintendo's first party titles. utilized motion controls very well in ways for which regular controls were impractical or less perfect for the job. Id est, aiming in Metroid Prime Trilogy. The wiimote was basically born for first person shooters (even if it didn't get many that were that good). Super Mario Galaxy's use of motion was minimal, but it was just enough to supplement the gameplay without getting in the way (how many action platformers can you name that involve a point-shooter element? it would get in the way without motion controls). And despite its flaws, I think Metroid: Other M did a great job of incorporating motion into its gameplay. And Zelda: Skyward Sword is the epitome of motion controls done right. Sure, it had a couple gimmicky moves (like rearranging the boss keys in the lock in every freaking dungeon), but overall it did a great job with motion-based gameplay that truly DEMANDED the use of motion, rather than arbitrarily replacing standard controls with motion. You know what I mean?

Anyway, who knows, maybe your mind will change when you hold the gamepad. It honestly doesn't really look that heavy to me, and most people who've used it hands-on seem to like it, so I don't really see the problem. And It looks like a WHOLE lot of games coming out at launch make use of the gamepad, so I think it would be ridiculous to make a pack that came without the gamepad.
First of all, I appreciate that you took the time to answer in detail and you didn't just start acting like and immature kid. You are right on what you say. I guess it comes down to personal preference. And in that regard, I consider myself a "traditionalist", If I'm allowed to use such word. You got the game and the controller and you 're all set. All this "mumbo-jumbo-motion-kinect-sensor-thing" nonsense is just a cheap way to produce "innovation" (Hideo Kojima has been making really innovating games on traditional means for more than 15 years). Not to mention these kinds of control are designed only for a utopian living room, where you have all the space to run up down and swing your body as you like. I don't know how many people are really able to have it that way. :D

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
First of all, I appreciate that you took the time to answer in detail and you didn't just start acting like and immature kid.
You're welcome. ;)
You are right on what you say. I guess it comes down to personal preference. And in that regard, I consider myself a "traditionalist", If I'm allowed to use such word. You got the game and the controller and you 're all set. All this "mumbo-jumbo-motion-kinect-sensor-thing" nonsense is just a cheap way to produce "innovation" (Hideo Kojima has been making really innovating games on traditional means for more than 15 years).
I never really cared for the Kinect, myself. In my opinion, the Wii motion controls and PlayStation Move are fine, since you still get actual controls. But with Kinect you lose all controls except your body, which completely defeats the purpose of a video game in my opinion, since you can never have a full-fledged triple A game without some controls. You can't even move around effectively. Games on the level of Zelda: Skyward Sword would never work on the Kinect unless they add some true control peripheral.
Not to mention these kinds of control are designed only for a utopian living room, where you have all the space to run up down and swing your body as you like. I don't know how many people are really able to have it that way. :D
Depends on the game and what kind of motion controls they call for. I live in a cluttered one-room apartment that's literally the size of a typical budget hotel room (the complex actually used to be a hotel before they turned it into an apartment a few years back), and I play Wii games fine. That said, I don't play any exercise or dance games. There's definitely no room for that. But most of the good games that just require you to move your wrists work just fine when I sit in my bed or easy chair.

JFTS

Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Depends on the game and what kind of motion controls they call for. I live in a cluttered one-room apartment that's literally the size of a typical budget hotel room (the complex actually used to be a hotel before they turned it into an apartment a few years back), and I play Wii games fine. That said, I don't play any exercise or dance games. There's definitely no room for that. But most of the good games that just require you to move your wrists work just fine when I sit in my bed or easy chair.
It is obvious that I exaggerated a bit concerning motion controls! :lol: That doesn't change my interest in them, but don't take my statements wrong. I'm not attacking anyone. I'm just stating my opinion and preference. :)

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I do admit I saw the motion controls as a gimmick as soon as I heard about them. I wasn't actually interested in getting a Wii until I realized I could fill it full of ROM's and use it as my retro gaming center.
I bought mine used and already hacked and it came with a copy of Mario Galaxy 2. It wasn't until that when I really got used to the idea of motion controls. I do admit that his spin move could very well have been placed on some easily accessible button (IIRC the C button isn't used) but I actually got to enjoy giving my wiimote a quick twist in one of the launch stars before sending Mario flying off to the next set of floating rocks.

Twilight Princess is another example where a wiimote shake could just as easily have been mapped to another button but I think they just kinda ran out of buttons there. Having another button right next to the A button would have done the trick, though. I can see that they didn't really have time to do a good motion control like Skyward Sword since it was just it had to be so quickly ported from the GameCube. Wii Sports kinda showed that some sort of motion controls were still doable without the motion+ but they didn't have time to correctly work around Link's left-handedness without just flipping the whole game, let along incorporate something new. (I'm left handed, BTW, so that was a little bit of a letdown there for me.)

All around, the arbitrary wiimote shake has become a standard. Something a little bit more specific / coordinated would have been preferred.

The pointer, though, that's where the real genius was ... (even though I somehow think it may have been more of an accidental success) ... I still like the Wii version of Twilight Princess better and I think it's because of this because I can't really explain it otherwise. The pointer on Mario Galaxy 1&2 is especially nice when the second, helper player comes into the picture and it's (as mentioned before) an absolute MUST for any first person shooter.

I wouldn't have even given the games a second thought had my wife not gotten the game for herself but the Just Dance series and similar games are completely dependent on the motion controls and they ARE rather fun (personal preference, yes, I know.)

The MAIN thing with Nintendo and their innovations / gimmicks is they realize they have to include it in EVERY system for it to catch on. 3rd parties (and even 1st party) are not likely to require something when part of their user base will not have it. That just spells fewer customers. That goes for the Wii AND the Wii U. Microsoft and Sony try to copy Nintendo's motion controls and the controller-screen ideas and they never catch on COMPLETELY because they're ADD-ON's. They don't really feel like they're PART of the system. (And that's another good point. No matter how gimmicky they feel, the competition is worried enough about them to go panic and COPY them as fast as they can.)

Reactions: 2 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2