Hardware How long until USB modchip?

rockbox77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There has to be a USB modchip being developed for the Wii. How long do you think it will be until it is released? I really wouldn't mind if it required a disc-swap to play backups either.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
well think about how old the PS2 is and they are just now coming out with a usb/memory card modchip by a team called VAST and another team too

rockbox77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well then do you think there is any point in holding out modding your wii with a standard modchip right now? What benefits can the next-gen of modchips bring? I figure if you are going to have to open up your wii, why wait any longer.

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
yea just mod it, it can play burned wii games, what more can you ask for?

also its nice that i can play metroid prime on my pal wii 2 months before the release here
biggrin.gif

robi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
What benefits can the next-gen of modchips bring? I figure if you are going to have to open up your wii, why wait any longer.

The sky is the limit. Most obviously is homebrew. USB Hard drive support? Loading games from said hard drive instead of burning DVDs? DVD player?

There is no way to gauge if any of this will ever be accomplished. Even with the Xbox360, being in the market for an extra year, still has a similar situation as the Wii. It's mod affects the DVD drive by having it report burned DVDs are legit and not copies.

Since most people just want to pirate I don't know how long it will take for someone to make anything more than what we have with the current Wii modchips. It could be announced next week, next month, next year. You never know.

Also, I wouldn't bet on a "USB modchip" anytime soon, if ever. Get used to the fact that modding your console to play "backups" usually means opening it up and using a soldering iron.

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If there was a USB modchip, that would mean that Nintendo would have to be noob enough to give the USB port permissions to write to F/W or to the DVD drive. They're alot smarter than that. But evidently not smart enough to remove the DVD drive's serial (or debug, i dunno) port. ^^

So: USB modchip is prolly never going to happen. Anyways, I have soft modded my PS2 and I modded my wii with wiikey. I prefer the hard mod. Even though during installation you might be sweating bullets, after that, its pretty smooth sailing. Swap magic is a pain, 'cause you need to wait like 30 seconds while the swapmagic disc spins up, and lets you boot what you want.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9p0iK877W4