Homebrew How long till homebrew becomes available for the end user, and what firmware should we be on to..

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexg1989

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
access it?

Well I just recently heard about the new developments. I have a Switch which I'll need for my account that I don't want to jeopardize, but I'll buy another for homebrew cause I can just imagine how awesome an N64 emulator could be on this thing.

What's the firmware I need to be on and are there any Switch's that ship on that firmware or below it?

D

Deleted User

You need FW 3.0 as stated above. I don't like your chances of finding a brand new Switch that has it. You'll have to go on eBay looking for a second hand one and message the seller asking what FW version the Switch is on.

How long? Nobody knows. I'm guessing a few years for emulators to get ported over well.

SmellyPirateMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3.0 is for the soon to be released homebrew
But 1.0 has been recommended by SciresM for more potential hacks.
Just look in the switch forums. Lots of people asking this

Sent from my toaster running Rebug

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
3.0 is for the soon to be released homebrew
But 1.0 has been recommended by SciresM for more potential hacks.
Just look in the switch forums. Lots of people asking this

Damn.. It's this that stopped me dropping in my Pokken today. i just couldn't do it, knowing there was no going back.
I'll stick with playing with Mephisto for now as much as I'd like to jump into the 3.0.0 scene proper.
Anyone got confirmation what firmware qlutoo's kernel exploit was on?

SmellyPirateMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn.. It's this that stopped me dropping in my Pokken today. i just couldn't do it, knowing there was no going back.
I'll stick with playing with Mephisto for now as much as I'd like to jump into the 3.0.0 scene proper.
AFAIK he hasn't said which firmware version he exploited.
Yet his tweet had squids so maybe that's a hint idk

alexg1989

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jesus fucking christ, you people really hate seeing someone ask a question. Did I hold a gun to your head and make you click my topic?

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

jesus fucking christ, you people really hate seeing someone ask a question. Did I hold a gun to your head and make you click my topic?

Not known but due to a lack of update 'warning' my assumptions run that either its old firmware, he's confident it won't be patched (which is a moonshot with HackerOne emplyed), or he's never releasing it.

In general, I'd keep expectations low and be surprised positively if otherwise!

The squids may just mean its done through Splatoon in some fashion but that's all the way back to 2.3.0 as a possible floor. There's indication that some degree of memory injection is possible with Splatoon, so that may be the culprit but we also know that Nintendo was watching for it/tampering... sooo... might be patched, who knows.

Thelonewolf88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Users get tired of seeing the same stuff asked over and over that clutters these boards that's why. A quick search around will answer a lot of questions.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A quick not clicking on a topic will also help keep your blood pressure low.
Or you could search the threads before repeating a question that's already been asked. Don't put the blame on others telling you that when you are the one that didn't bother to even do a quick search to find your answer. Most people replied calmly, you are the one here that seems the most upset other than a couple replies.

alexg1989

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or you could search the threads before repeating a question that's already been asked. Don't put the blame on others telling you that when you are the one that didn't bother to even do a quick search to find your answer. Most people replied calmly, you are the one here that seems the most upset other than a couple replies.
Another dude literally called me an idiot before I said anything. That's what I'm reacting to. Funny how you didn't notice that. And if I don't see something in the first page, I'll just make a new topic. It's not that big of a deal dude. Just don't reply if it bothers you so much.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another dude literally called me an idiot before I said anything. That's what I'm reacting to. Funny how you didn't notice that. And if I don't see something in the first page, I'll just make a new topic. It's not that big of a deal dude. Just don't reply if it bothers you so much.
I did see those comments. Hence me saying "other than a couple of replies". So you are saying I'm not reading when you reply to my comment before reading and understanding the whole thing.

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not known but due to a lack of update 'warning' my assumptions run that either its old firmware, he's confident it won't be patched (which is a moonshot with HackerOne emplyed), or he's never releasing it.

In general, I'd keep expectations low and be surprised positively if otherwise!

The squids may just mean its done through Splatoon in some fashion but that's all the way back to 2.3.0 as a possible floor. There's indication that some degree of memory injection is possible with Splatoon, so that may be the culprit but we also know that Nintendo was watching for it/tampering... sooo... might be patched, who knows.
Thanks.
The lack of anything explicitly mentioned re firmware and the inference of the squids makes a real conundrum.
If only qlutoo could kindly confirm what he's got nxdbg working on, even if he never planned to release, I could commit to something.
On the other hand, if Retroarch comes to 3.0.0 that'd be good enough for me.

Navonod

Luigi from Luigi's Mansion
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm waiting until next year to get one personally. Hopefully it will be fleshed out by then but I'm not holding my breath.

Edit: Like around this time next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning