Hacking How long before the Wii U gets a true custom firmware like luma?

pietempgba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah but people want to modify sysnand even more though like installing wiiu home screen themes modify home menu's bootsound stuff

FF777

人を呪わば穴二つ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have to keep in mind that the wii-u just got hacked like 1-2 months ago (at this level any way)..
I bought my wii-u 2 years ago, and it has literally been sitting collecting dust during that whole time waiting for wii-u to be hacked.. The only thing I did was update firmware from 4.0.2 to 5.5.1.. So I don't mind waiting a little bit longer to see which CFW and/or method ends up being the de-facto..

Does any one have a link to more information about salt's CFW?.. Or do we have any kind of vague ETA?.. And are you guys fairly certain that salt's CFW will become the new standard way of hacking?..

One more question: If the kernel has been hacked, and the IOSU has been hacked, then what is stopping us from creating a hack similar to A9LH where you don't need rednand any more (because on the 3DS you can restore sysNAND even if you brick)?.. Is there some thing in the wii-u that hasn't been hacked yet?..

Reactions: Chakratos

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm waiting for the tools to be Stupified (noob proof) before I take the plunge. My Wii U is unplugged, so it can't silently update just incase Ninty starts giving a shit that their current console is fucked wide open.

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Note: I'm a homebrew developer and a strong advocate of public development. I've been burned a number of times. This makes me very biased, so keep that in mind and try to see the actual point I'm making. I only speak for myself.
And are you guys fairly certain that salt's CFW will become the new standard way of hacking?..
I'm fairly certain that (unless they get their act together) SALT's CFW will not become the standard way of hacking. Based on what's out there right now I can pretty safely say (assuming they release at all) that they'll either make their own little ecosystem (that, due to the shit SALT's given us, homebrew developers will avoid unless it's really cool) or they'll release a bunch of tools and extensions for the existing setup that will just extend what's already there. Either way, you're better off if you adopt the current CFW situation, avoid coldboothax, and enjoy what's currently out there rather than some nebulous possibility. The days of danger around the public code are well and truly over. Sans' thread is outdated, releases have been made, and the basic stuff is safe, along with pretty much everything else (except coldboothax!) If it's on HBAS, it's safe.
One more question: If the kernel has been hacked, and the IOSU has been hacked, then what is stopping us from creating a hack similar to A9LH where you don't need rednand any more (because on the 3DS you can restore sysNAND even if you brick)?.. Is there some thing in the wii-u that hasn't been hacked yet?..
AL9H takes hold at an insanely early stage of the 3DS's boot process, allowing homebrew code to run even in the event of a brick. However, the best the Wii U has (the incredibly dangerous system.xml coldboothax) occurs just before the system menu appears - all that guff that happens while the Wii U logo is onscreen is outside of our control at this stage. This means that, should you brick, there isn't much we can do about it - the console dies before the exploit gets a chance to run. An exploit that happens much earlier (ideally boot0/boot1 but anything ARM-side would be fine) would fix this issue and allow BootMii-style tomfoolery; making the console basically unbrickable.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
I bought my wii-u 2 years ago, and it has literally been sitting collecting dust during that whole time waiting for wii-u to be hacked.. The only thing I did was update firmware from 4.0.2 to 5.5.1.. So I don't mind waiting a little bit longer to see which CFW and/or method ends up being the de-facto..

What exactly are you waiting for? You could have played some games on the Wii U in those two years surly?

Easy access to Homebrew via the Homebrew Launcher has been a thing for going on a year now with 5.3.2, we now have a very easy way to launch Homebrew directly from the homescreen.

Sure the hacks could get better, for example cold booting a CFW. However that's not going to give you anymore Homebrew apps or games than you currently have access to now.

FF777

人を呪わば穴二つ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What exactly are you waiting for?
I'm a fairly patient person.. The kernel exploit wasn't good enough for me, and was waiting until the IOSU was hacked I guess.. I prefer the hacks to become fairly streamlined before I decide to use them.. I've had the 3DS to entertain me any way, seeing as how it has been hacked for quite a while..

I actually don't end up playing that many games really.. I have a lot of fun hacking systems for me, and for friends/family, but after I hack my own system, I will end up playing a few games, but really I have the most fun in hacking it.. Although I don't like hacking if there is any chance of bricking, especially since I always get jap versions of every thing (wii, 3ds, wii-u, etc)..

Even with the recent IOSU hacks, I will probably at least wait until january to see if the current tools and CFW become a bit more streamlined and safe to use.. In january some time I will probably start looking in to actually hacking my wii-u and try to find the best guide to use at that time, and decide whether it is still recommended to use rednand or not, etc..

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
Team Salt will never release anything. The community has achieved more in 2 months than they have in 18 months and right now I'd imagine they're pretty pissed that all their private exploits are now public.

They used the excuse of not releasing anything because they didn't want to risk making things public under their name and risk big n patching stuff, well both those ships sailed a long time ago and still they're silent.

Has anybody ever actually seen anything they claim to have? I see users saying Salt have tools, libraries, documentation bla bla bla all the time but I suspect they're just parroting back what they've heard others say and this whole thing is just a self perpetuating myth.

When Donald & Hilary broke the IOSU it was said that if Salt don't release soon they run the risk of being left behind. Well I'm looking backwards and I see no sign of them. Don't wait for a Pipedream because it won't happen, the hard working homebrew devs on here (and the other various sites) have given us so much more in the last 2 months than Salt ever have.

Also why they keep NWPlayer as a member of their team is beyond me? She's a lying shit posting troll whose done nothing but leak their stuff and undermine them.

Can I take the opportunity to thank all the hard working devs who've given us so much and asked for nothing in return. Thanks to all of you.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
I'm a fairly patient person.. The kernel exploit wasn't good enough for me, and was waiting until the IOSU was hacked I guess.. I prefer the hacks to become fairly streamlined before I decide to use them.. I've had the 3DS to entertain me any way, seeing as how it has been hacked for quite a while..

Fair enough I can appreciate that, I must be honest I purchased my Wii U mainly for Mario Kart 8 and a couple of other exclusives (Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros, Super Mario Bros U, I then got Fast Racing Neo at a later date) it has become quite well used for playing games locally when i have friends over though, as the Xbox One and PS4 just don't have local split screen gaming on most games.

I do enjoy hacking consoles though too, which was another plus for purchasing a Wii U as 5.3.2 was exploitable when i purchased mine. I dont really think you need an emunand at the moment, unless you really want to mess with system stuff.

Team Salt will never release anything. The community has achieved more in 2 months than they have in 18 months and right now I'd imagine they're pretty pissed that all their private exploits are now public.

Team Salt are under no obligation to release anything. I don't even think they have ever officially announced the intention to release anything Wii U related anyway? People have just presumed they eventually would, then as you mentioned people keep repeating that on Gbatemp and the message gets changed a little each time someone posts, so now people think something is coming soon.

Either way i'm not too bothered, i'm grateful for what we have at the moment, that been easy reliable access to homebrew from the home screen.

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
Team Salt are under no obligation to release anything. I don't even think they have ever officially announced the intention to release anything Wii U related anyway? People have just presumed they eventually would, then as you mentioned people keep repeating that on Gbatemp and the message gets changed a little each time someone posts, so now people think something is coming soon.

Either way i'm not too bothered, i'm grateful for what we have at the moment, that been easy reliable access to homebrew from the home screen.

Of course they're not. I just don't understand why anybody would spend such a long time creating something with no intention of ever releasing it. That seems like such a waste of time and effort to me.

It doesn't change the fact that Salts CFW is being billed as the easy to use custom firmware solution for the masses though.

This is one of those occasions I would be happy to be wrong but I doubt we will ever see Salts CFW released.

Reactions: peteruk

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Of course they're not. I just don't understand why anybody would spend such a long time creating something with no intention of ever releasing it. That seems like such a waste of time and effort to me.

Simply for the challenge of doing so? its a hobby / passion of the team hacking a console, breaking a secure system bit by bit.

The first team to hack the Xbox 360 months after the consoles launch never released the hack: https://web.archive.org/web/2016031...ndex.php?itemid=33&option=com_smf&topic=481.0 however it was eventually replicated by others.

Likewise fail0verflow hacked the Wii U early in to it's life and never released that.

I dare say theirs been a lot more hacks done by individuals for a personal challenge that have never even been talked about in public.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?