Hacking How long before the Wii U gets a true custom firmware like luma?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is no proper coldboothax atm, i go back to what i said earlier about a true cfw. Something that is installed like an OFW and gives complete control everytime the console is switched on, to the untrained eye it would seem no different to an OFW.

The 3ds has only managed to get to this stage in the last year with a9lh and with the current patchwork of hacks and dodgy fuckery we have for wii u atm i think its still a way off before we reach that stage.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Therefore as its not an installable firmware file its not a CFW, its a collection of hacks that all still rely on an exploit that has to be redone every time the wii u is powered up.
So by your logic it needs to be installed to be cfw?? A game is still a game if it's installed or not and cfw is the same so sorry your logic is fucked.

ItsKipz

l33t hax0r
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So by your logic it needs to be installed to be cfw?? A game is still a game if it's installed or not and cfw is the same so sorry your logic is fucked.
Well, the current setup is hard to use and VERY un-user friendly, so i guess a "true" cfw would have an easier boot method (haxchi?)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, the current setup is hard to use and VERY un-user friendly, so i guess a "true" cfw would have an easier boot method (haxchi?)

I may not represent the average user, but installing and running rednand is quite a bit simpler than installing A9LH on a 10.x 3ds, as far as length of stuff to read and manual labor (if we ignore legally compiling the fw.img):

it's really "backup SD and extract files to sufficiently big SD, go to website, click here and there, wait 2 hours, power off, restore files, do steps 2 and 3 again on every power cycle" which is exactly like the typical Rxtools usage in mid 2015 (and actually, back then you had to use Gateway's launcher to create emunand, it wasn't built into the cfw) :)

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I may not represent the average user, but installing and running rednand is quite a bit simpler than installing A9LH on a 10.x 3ds, as far as length of stuff to read and manual labor (if we ignore legally compiling the fw.img):

it's really "backup SD and extract files to sufficiently big SD, go to website, click here and there, wait 2 hours, power off, restore files, do steps 2 and 3 again on every power cycle" which is exactly like the typical Rxtools usage in mid 2015 (and actually, back then you had to use Gateway's launcher to create emunand, it wasn't built into the cfw) :)
I see where you're coming from. However, it's a simplistic way to put it since Nintendo has (yet) pushed out an update for Wii U. Imagine when an update is out and there is no downgrade method, Need a way to truely spoof Wii U RED NAND and SYSNAND (this would need a true coldboothax to bypass SYSNAND or we come back to the cases where people accidentally update sysnand).

Of course if Nintendo has given up on Wii U then we're set. However, it's not the healthiest way to enjoy the Wii U with the scary thought of a patch may happen at any time.

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That maybe the case, you are fine and so are plenty of others, but i bet it wont be long before we have the cries of kids and newbs that have bricked their system due to the unfriendlyness and confusion of the current mix of hacks available.
Im not new to console hacking by a long way, but im not interested in running the current setup until its streamlined and a one time run deal. I dont want to be explaining to my kids that they have to run an exploit before they can use an emulator or play a game that has some dodgy dlc installed on usb.

Ill keep an eye on the scene and when it finally gets its ass together and all these devs work towards a common goal instead of the bits and pieces we have now, then ill run with the hack.
I agree with this mainly, if you have the knowledge and more importantly understand what it is you are doing and not just following guides and downloading dodgy things that you have no idea about then great jump in try stuff and most importantly feed back and bug report.

However I do think the difference between coldboot and cfw is a bit like oranges and tangerines, if anything I prefer the coldboot concept as I could theoretically reset my Wii U as if I've never even touched it.

Also I think the scene is doing great atm and all these developments are going to be nicely brought together for the perfect end result, the fact that people are too impatient to wait for the finished product isn't really the developers fault and open source is far better than the false hopes of the past.

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Sorry but my logic makes perfect sense, a game is a program that needs elements of the firmware to run properly. Firmware by its very nature is the software that interacts with the hardware it runs on at the lowest level.
Comparing games to firmware is just plain retarded.

I agree with this mainly, if you have the knowledge and more importantly understand what it is you are doing and not just following guides and downloading dodgy things that you have no idea about then great jump in try stuff and most importantly feed back and bug report.

However I do think the difference between coldboot and cfw is a bit like oranges and tangerines, if anything I prefer the coldboot concept as I could theoretically reset my Wii U as if I've never even touched it.

Also I think the scene is doing great atm and all these developments are going to be nicely brought together for the perfect end result, the fact that people are too impatient to wait for the finished product isn't really the developers fault and open source is far better than the false hopes of the past.

I do agree with most of what you said but due to the nature of a CFW that is installed via the official update method it is easy to restore things back to stock (as if you never touched it). its just a case of reinstalling an official firmware again, all traces of the CFW are removed then (unless you have things installed to a hard drive which of course you will have to delete yourself before using the official ofw update), as is the case with the PSP and PS3, i Have done this myself before.

Reactions: PR0r

wolf_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry but my logic makes perfect sense, a game is a program that needs elements of the firmware to run properly. Firmware by its very nature is the software that interacts with the hardware it runs on at the lowest level.
Comparing games to firmware is just plain retarded.

I do agree with most of what you said but due to the nature of a CFW that is installed via the official update method it is easy to restore things back to stock (as if you never touched it). its just a case of reinstalling an official firmware again, all traces of the CFW are removed then (unless you have things installed to a hard drive which of course you will have to delete yourself before using the official ofw update), as is the case with the PSP and PS3, i Have done this myself before.

the problem there is that you can not update the wii u only with disc or online so that creates the problem of cfw unless you try installing system with wup installer then risk bricking

xtreemsurf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see where you're coming from. However, it's a simplistic way to put it since Nintendo has (yet) pushed out an update for Wii U. Imagine when an update is out and there is no downgrade method, Need a way to truely spoof Wii U RED NAND and SYSNAND (this would need a true coldboothax to bypass SYSNAND or we come back to the cases where people accidentally update sysnand).

Of course if Nintendo has given up on Wii U then we're set. However, it's not the healthiest way to enjoy the Wii U with the scary thought of a patch may happen at any time.
This is what I was thinking. Everything works GREAT! But...will these hacks be update-friendly in the future? I know in the past, people spoofed their firmware to 5.5.1 and were able to play online. Has Nintendo said how long they would support online play for the Wii U? Once the online play is done, we can just keep the Wii U offline and not worry. Then again...Nintendo may never realease another update. We'll see...

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the problem there is that you can not update the wii u only with disc or online so that creates the problem of cfw unless you try installing system with wup installer then risk bricking

I get what you're saying but once we have full control over the system I'm sure there will be a way to install/update however we want. Just look at the original wii, it was disc or update only officially. Wasn't that long after the system was truly open that we could install whatever version firmware we wanted using a wad manager.

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: RealityNinja
D

Deleted-401606

Just curious. I've tried setting up rednand, but it doesn't work for me. I looked at other things like funkiiU and wii u usb helper. They seem complicated. Not that it matters since I can't get rednand working anyway. So I decided to just wait until further progress is made.

Around 2020 is what Stephen Hawkins said in his latest interview.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

wartimekillers

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I installed haxchi and iosuhax on sysnand, i think it's almost similar to luma cfw
I just cant understand why people need to install rednand?

RealityNinja

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I installed haxchi and iosuhax on sysnand, i think it's almost similar to luma cfw
I just cant understand why people need to install rednand?
Because on the 3ds, you can install a9lh, a exploit that occurs early on the 3ds boot.
Wii u doesn't have that (for now?)
So, if you brick your wii u sysnand with iosuhax, you're screwed!

wartimekillers

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Yes, I know a9lh I have installed it on my 3ds, I just say that Haxchi & IOSUhax almost similar to luma, you can install HBL apps on your wiiu right now, I just don't get it when people install rednand on their wiiu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Those IHOP chips are actually pretty damn good