How is this better than a PSP /w CFW?

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I don't think anybody has said "Dingoo is better than a PSP"
With a PSP, you're carrying a brick around with you if you solely want to emulate.
With the Dingoo, it (looks) a nice compact handheld which you can take anywhere you want.

and tbh, playing PS1 games on a PSP is a bit stressful when you need L1, L2, R1 and R2 buttons.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
price, fact it uses mini sd over memorystick pro duo, size of handheld, fact that unlike the psp community, the dingoo community is not (yet) dead

El Blacksheep

OP
Trophies
Website
tryorke.no-ip.info
XP
Country
United States
hmm okay, thought i was missing out on something.

carry on then.

EDIT:

Prowler485 said:
With a PSP, you're carrying a brick around with you if you solely want to emulate.
With the Dingoo, it (looks) a nice compact handheld which you can take anywhere you want.

and tbh, playing PS1 games on a PSP is a bit stressful when you need L1, L2, R1 and R2 buttons.
It's not too difficult to map the extra shoulder buttons to the analog stick.

QUOTE(mercluke @ Apr 27 2010, 03:15 AM) price, fact it uses mini sd over memorystick pro duo, size of handheld, fact that unlike the psp community, the dingoo community is not (yet) dead

Price I'll agree with, tho I firmly believe in "you get what you pay for."

MiniSD I don't see as a plus... you can get an adapter unit that converts two MicroSDs into one MS Pro Duo, allowing much more storage than on a MiniSD. Just my opinion tho.

Size is up to preference I guess. My hands tend to cramp up playing my DSLite. I don't have that issue with my PSP. Not to mention the A330 pic looks like a PSP knockoff: http://gbatemp.net/up/a330.jpg

I will say the linux distro & touch screen make it somewhat appealing.

omgmog

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
omgmog.net
XP
Country
One of the most notable benefits of the Dingoo over a PSP with CFW is that the Dingoo has "Dingux" linux available for it, which opens the door for ports of games/emulators, and new games/emulators.

Beyond that, there is an official SDK for the native OS on the Dingoo, and plenty of development happening on that too.

Overman1977

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
mercluke said:
price, fact it uses mini sd over memorystick pro duo, size of handheld, fact that unlike the psp community, the dingoo community is not (yet) dead

I was unaware that the PSP community was dead. I'll have to tell that to the thousands of PSP users on the forums I frequent:
'You can't post, you're dead'.

It's all well and good to cheer for your favourite consoles, but there's no need to bash the others. And just so you know, I'd buy the Dingoo if it wasn't for the emulators I have on both my PSP and DS; and while the DS's emulators (NES, SNES, Genesis, etc....) have problems with some games, my PSP has not had any problems with any of the old console games yet....but I have not tried them all.

Some people also prefer a big screen to portability; just ask those who bought a DSi XL.

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Overman1977 said:
mercluke said:

I was unaware that the PSP community was dead. I'll have to tell that to the thousands of PSP users on the forums I frequent:
'You can't post, you're dead'.

It's all well and good to cheer for your favourite consoles, but there's no need to bash the others.
I didn't get the impression that he was making fun of PSPers. I think you're just being a little too sensitive.

To be perfectly fair, without Dark_Alex and his team PSP development has slowed down considerably. I get the impression that people are simply waiting for something. Like the PSP Go to be hacked (fully, HBL is not perfect) or a new PSP model.

Back on topic... the ports and games on Dingux seem to be released at a steady pace these days. But that may slow down once the A330 comes out.

For now, the Dingoo is a nice, cheap (only in price) system with a relatively active hombrew community. It's not better than a PSP (although, it does a a functional [albeit slow] PS1 emulator), but it's a strikingly good competitor.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
mercluke said:

you can get a second hand psp slim for no more than £50-£60, mini sd hold so little and are a old format compared to memory stick pro, also the price of memory stick pro have gone down a bit, a 4gb memory card is not that expensive. the slim psp is a perfect size anyway, and it has a nice screen for emulation too, the last i heard the psps scene is still alive and kicking according to many psp homebrew websites out there.

face it the dingo is a blatant rip off of the psp, it's even designed like one.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
omgmog said:
One of the most notable benefits of the Dingoo over a PSP with CFW is that the Dingoo has "Dingux" linux available for it, which opens the door for ports of games/emulators, and new games/emulators.

Beyond that, there is an official SDK for the native OS on the Dingoo, and plenty of development happening on that too.

what other stuff are you going to emulate? a nes? the psp can emulate n64, sega saturn, dreamcast and ps1, what can the dingo do?

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dingoo has a "hold" switch -- so when you put it in your pocket while playing MP3s, it doesn't skip to the next track when the "next" button is nudged

My PSP always does this...

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really don't think the Dingoo should be compared to a PSP.

I think it's a decent replacement in purchase over a PSP. I mean, you have to hack the PSP, first off. And there's a chance of bricking it. Yes, there's a fix, but for someone not that tech-savvy, the Dingoo is a GREAT portable way to play old games. Also, the TV out is a huge plus (have you seen those ripoff Atari/Nes systems that plug into a TV w/ 100 one-off games? Those sell like hot-cakes! And hot-cakes fucking sell.
lecture.gif
wink.gif
)

If you have a PSP, run with it! If you don't, and you know how to safely hack a system, get a PSP!

Otherwise, out of the box, this thing is ready to go for old-gaming goodness.

Apples and oranges, people.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
El Blacksheep said:
Not trying to rain on anybody's parade, just wondering why someone would get a Dingoo for emulating retro games when a PSP can do the same, and also play PS1 and PSP games on top of that o.O

the dingoo is alot smaller than the psp
there is psx4all port for the dingoo, it isn't perfect but it is showing promise
the dingoo is only $80 brand new
dingoo digital wants you to use roms, emulation, and homebrew were sony wants to stop you from doing the same on their system
you don't have to hack the dingoo to make it play anything, it works out of the box
the dingoo plays a slew of video and audio formats without the need of homebrew players

i could go on like this for a bit longer...

-another world

Dangy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schizoanalysis said:
Dingoo has a "hold" switch -- so when you put it in your pocket while playing MP3s, it doesn't skip to the next track when the "next" button is nudged

My PSP always does this...

Lol, the PSP has a hold switch too.

psp-release72a.jpg

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Another World said:
dingoo digital wants you to use roms, emulation, and homebrew were sony wants to stop you from doing the same on their system
Yeah, fighting with Sony on the firmware thing is annoying.

With the Dingoo you don't have to worry about your little brother updating the firmware to an official, unhackable one by accident.

WildWon is right though; apples and oranges. Both are good systems.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's not much use comparing the Dingoo to the PSP. The Dingoo is simply a cheaper option to those that want a dedicated device for playing these older games. If someone wants PS1, N64 or PSP games (If you want Saturn, do yourself a favour and play it on a PC emulator!) on top of the classics then they should go with the PSP.

The Dingoo also plays a bad ass game of Duke Nukem 3D (I've said this a few times but it's still a nice plus to me!). PSP might have this too but if so I never got around to giving it a go.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: The Wii version ran alot better