How is MGSV so far?

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just blew the whole "Open World" idea away with a bug I just bumped into.

Turns out that if you manage to wiggle past the slidy sands onto an upper plain you're not "supposed" to go into, you end up bumping into an invisible wall that halts your progress, forcing you to go back to the path the game wants you on.

So... it presents itself as open world, but in reality is just a series of linked set pieces connected via roadways.

Africa is much more open world than Afghanistan.

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a bit OT but as far as Big Boss' storyline is concerned, I kinda wish MGS3 was the only game based on him because its ending was perfect and what happened after could've been left up to interpretation. I may be in the minority but with that said, I'll probably pick this game up when I eventually buy a PS4. Doubt I'll love it like 1-3 but as a fan of the series I need to play the final MGS game.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I've put nearly 70hrs into it and think it's great. My #2 for goty 2015. The story isn't that bad it's just spread out so much that you kind of just miss wtf is going on. I'm going for 100% so will probably sink another 70hrs into it.
Looking forward to trying out the online soon too.

Muffins

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Africa is much more open world than Afghanistan.

I hope so. I haven't gotten to Africa yet, I'm stuck at Angel With Broken Wings. I need to rescue a fellow in a Jeep but there's a tank right there, and since I'm trying to play a No Kill game, just throwing a bunch of grenades at it ends up with a bunch of fried soldiers.

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope so. I haven't gotten to Africa yet, I'm stuck at Angel With Broken Wings. I need to rescue a fellow in a Jeep but there's a tank right there, and since I'm trying to play a No Kill game, just throwing a bunch of grenades at it ends up with a bunch of fried soldiers.
Try chucking a bunch of smoke grenades, grab him, and get out of there.

Muffins

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's it. I am officially done with this game.

Seriously, done.

Was almost done with (I guess) the last mission in Afghanistan. Started this really stupid, stupid STUPID overly long mission that involved me rescuing a certain scientist. This fucking mission took HOURS and spanned the map from the Power Plant to Afghanistan, but I finally did it, despite having to dodge a helicopter and whatever, not even a single alert or kill up until "the thing" appeared that of course they don't tell you that you really should have missiles to kill. So I don't have them, but for some dumb ass reason someone arbitrarily called the chopper right in the middle of a bunch of guards, but I tagged em, ok, so now "the thing" is chasing me. No problem- there's a truck. I'll take the truck, escape, then call the chopper and get the prisoner out.

All of a sudden...

"Boss you just accidentally drove out of the arbitrary mission area so you're no boss, Mission fail!"

No "saving" icon has appeared, so I reset.

Too late!

FUCKING ARBITRARY STUPID AUTOSAVE MEANS I HAVE TO FUCKING DO THE WHOLE FUCKING MISSION OVER AGAIN.

Not from a checkpoint. Not from the entrance to the Afghanistan camp. THE WHOLE GOD DAMN THING.

No.

Not gonna do it. I'm not going to spend another hour on this shit.

Gonna sell this thing on eBay.

Sorry about the profanity. I'm just so... pissed off right now.

Last edited by Muffins,

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam

Seriously, done.

Was almost done with (I guess) the last mission in Afghanistan. Started this really stupid, stupid STUPID overly long mission that involved me rescuing a certain scientist. This fucking mission took HOURS and spanned the map from the Power Plant to Afghanistan, but I finally did it, despite having to dodge a helicopter and whatever, not even a single alert or kill up until "the thing" appeared that of course they don't tell you that you really should have missiles to kill. So I don't have them, but for some dumb ass reason someone arbitrarily called the chopper right in the middle of a bunch of guards, but I tagged em, ok, so now "the thing" is chasing me. No problem- there's a truck. I'll take the truck, escape, then call the chopper and get the prisoner out.

All of a sudden...

"Boss you just accidentally drove out of the arbitrary mission area so you're no boss, Mission fail!"

Too late!

FUCKING ARBITRARY STUPID AUTOSAVE MEANS I HAVE TO FUCKING DO THE WHOLE FUCKING MISSION OVER AGAIN.

Not from a checkpoint. Not from the entrance to the Afghanistan camp. THE WHOLE GOD DAMN THING.

No.

OPEN WORLD.

I'm on that mission too. Don't think you can kill the thing.

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Seriously, done.

All of a sudden...

Too late!

No.

The game has a lot of effort put into it but it is still filled to the brim with bullshit.

Reactions: Muffins

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In MGS3 after a certain scene where Big Boss loses his eye(don't wanna spoil for those who haven't played), I felt similar to doom trying to get no alerts escaping from Groznyi Grad on Hard. I'm not quite masochistic enough to play it on Extreme or especially Euro extreme but I had to reset like 20 times before I actually pulled it off but I came close to rage quitting. Only reason I wanted no alerts was to obtain the stealth camo and combined with the Spirit outfit, it was totally worth all the frustration.

Sorry to go off-topic but autosave ruining your playthrough sounds really aggravating. Is there any way to disable autosave? If not that really fucking blows but before you get rid of the game, give yourself a few days to cool off.

Last edited by Hungry Friend, , Reason: typos

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it save your position too? And any objectives you've accomplished?
It does not always work. It will let you save if you are in the middle of nowhere with no enemies. But if not, it will give you the saving graphic but it will not actually create a checkpoint. If you want to create a checkpoint you have to run away from enemies far enough for the saving graphic to trigger automatically, and then you know you're safe. I like to do it sometimes if I've extracted a bunch of guards from a base, but I still haven't done the objective yet. It makes life a lot easier.

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Especially missions where there is a awesome machine that just lets you destroy everything. I was gonna do stealth in Mission 12. Went in for blow shit up.

I am enjoying MGSV: TPP so far.

Muffins

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does not always work. It will let you save if you are in the middle of nowhere with no enemies. But if not, it will give you the saving graphic but it will not actually create a checkpoint. If you want to create a checkpoint you have to run away from enemies far enough for the saving graphic to trigger automatically, and then you know you're safe. I like to do it sometimes if I've extracted a bunch of guards from a base, but I still haven't done the objective yet. It makes life a lot easier.

Yeah, I tried it in the mission I'm on; no dice unfortunately, and this mission has a lot of "run here and wait". I figured out that D-Horse is basically useless and D-Dog just gets run over; I have to fulton out a bunch of traveling tanks. Lo and behold, there just happens to be a theftable supply truck along my runny route to the first tank. So... so far I've got a pattern holding up. I steal the truck, park it in the middle of the roadway to where the first tank is going, wait for the tank to stop for a moment and look at the truck, then run up and fulton the tank butt. Move up past a bridge area and take out two more the same way. After that there's a jeep I need to take care of- still gotta get the timing right on that one.

This game has the strangest "big truck" physics on the planet, and driver AI that makes you want to scratch your head. I've had several times where I had to restart because instead of stopping, the tank just went flying right through the truck, flipping it through the air(!) and continuing on its merry way.

Last edited by Muffins,

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I like TPPso far (mission 29 at the mo). The gameplay and mechanics are pretty excellent. However, playing through the gaem it seems the story was a secondary factor. Whilst mission locations and objectives are repetitive.

Stealth is just so satisfying. Shame, I suck at the game.

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stealth is just so satisfying. Shame, I suck at the game.
Imho stealth was shoehorned into MGS5. In previous games sneaking around and finding hiding spots felt effortless, probably because those games had individual levels built for infiltration. In MGS5, I feel more like I'm just exploiting the game's engine to be stealthy. Some guy sees me? Just hop in my box. In MGS3 if a box was in a strange place, enemies would investigate. Of course MGS5 has to have cheese stealth tricks because it's open world, and Konami needed stuff that would work anywhere in the open world, as opposed to situationaly in well thought out levels. The problem with this is sometimes stealth in MGS5 just doesn't feel like working. I can crouch walk 30m from some guy staring right at me, no problem. But if I dare stand up in the dead of night 100m from a sniper, instant combat alert. Of course it's possible to go in guns ablazing, what with Quiet, and airstrikes, and god damn tanks in a stealth game, but then "oh no you weren't stealthy you get a bad rank." It's like instead of making a stealth game Kojima made another generic open world game and then threw in rankings to pretend stealth mattered.

Reactions: Muffins

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3
    Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I promise to come back and take her back home with me.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    halllo
  • Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit:
    hello, anyone is able to create cheat patches for cemu? i have a simple request if anyone can help
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Rest in piece. Hope she rests well, she'll always love you too. :sad:
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @RedColoredStars, Rest in piece. Hope she rests well, she'll always love you too. :sad: