Hacking How illegal is downloading games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kama

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My brother has recently become paranoid by the fact that if we download a game, regardless of if we own it or not, we will be fined to the point where we can no longer live properly. So:

What happens if caught?

How often do people get caught?

How easy is it to get caught?

Do they track every download you do?

Thanks

asdf

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kama said:
My brother has recently become paranoid by the fact that if we download a game, regardless of if we own it or not, we will be fined to the point where we can no longer live properly. So:

What happens if caught?

Thanks
1. Jail time (maybe, depends on how old you are) and fines

2. I don't know anyone who has been caught

3. The government doesn't really care, so I wouldn't count on being caught

4. I guess they can, but they do nothing about it.

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
kama we've already got your IP address on file and now we have the proof needed to make the charges. I am informing the authorities right now. Sorry it had to come to this, but if you do the crime you do the time. You are looking at a min. of 5,000 dollar fines and upwards of 6 months of jail time, your parents will also be fined.

- The Internet Police

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I knew someone who got caught downloading music (shitty music too) at my uni and he got fined $3000 and got expelled, but he would have had to drop out anyways because he didn't have enough money to pay tuition after the fine.

Don't pirate!

worlok375

GBAtemp's prince
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1. A fine.

2. I wouldn't think that often otherwise sites like this wouldn't exist.

3. Well......If they got the internet providers like AT&T on their side (which they don't) then easy but for now we are probably safe.

4. Back to the Isp (internet service providers again) maybe. But without their help definitely not.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Simple answer is it depends what country you're living in.

Your flag shows you're in the USA. If you get caught you'll be fined, depending on what you have. The chances of getting caught are very slim, it also depends what you used to download the game. Bittorrent would leave you more exposed, while usenet using an encrypted connection wouldn't.

I haven't really heard of the gaming industry going after people who download games anyway. Mostly it's the music and movie industry bodies.

ca_michelbach

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You're pretty much as safe as if you'd not downloaded anything. See the pirating bussiness as hydra, you kill a head (piraters) and 2 grow back in it's place. But burn the neck (the torrent sites) and no heads can grow back. In other words, it's the sites that provide the things for download that are in trouble, not the users.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
This illegal (shows with hands)
rolleyes.gif

D

Deleted User

In Ireland you are safe enough for a fine and jail. It was a Garda(police officer) who told me about flashcarts and hacking computers
smile.gif
smile.gif

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
I've still never, ever seen anyone anywhere arrested for downloading copyrighted material. Even when news stories say "Music downloader hit with fine/jailtime" when you read the small print they were always uploading pirate material as well because they were using something like torrents.

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In America, everything is possible!

---
rolleyes.gif

...but seriously, regarding your internet presence, tracking everything is and mostly always will be possible. Simply because you can't contact another computer without him knowing that you did.

clegion

Trophies
Website
cfatalis.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
it's illegal

fine and jail, and in indonesia, they take your console and flashcart, this doesn't happen too often

haven't heard any, heck it's a business back there in indonesia

they don't really care

they can, but somebody will say privacy

Zaide

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What happens if caught?
Depends on where you live and your ISP. Cox Communications will send you an e-mail telling you not to do it again then delete all records of the event (after my first warning e-mail I called them to ask what they were going to do and they had no clue what I was talking about so I'm assuming they deleted all trace of the event... and I've received 3 of these e-mails btw, 1 of which was for something I didn't even download). Now if your ISP does give out your info, then you'll have fines, probably a lawsuit, and possibly jail time or, if the judge goes easy on you, community service. The jail time and community service is mostly for people distributing the files though, not the ones downloading the files.

Using torrents and other peer2peer programs, people get caught by the hundreds (probably thousands) every day. As for using filesharing sites like megaupload and mediafire, I have never heard of anyone getting caught for *DOWNLOADING*, but I have heard of people getting in trouble when *UPLOADING*, but even then I've only heard of that happening on rapidshare on very very rare occasions.

If you are using anything peer2peer it's dead easy for them to catch you because peer2peer, by it's very nature, requires for everyone to have everyone else's IP. However, copyright violation is a civil offense, not a criminal offense. Your ISP is not required in the USA to give out your personal information unless you committed a criminal offense. So anti-piracy groups can get your IP, but they can't turn that into any kind of real information like a name or street address unless they can get you on criminal charges as well or if your ISP is a pushover. Using filesharing sites like mediafire and megaupload the only way they can get your IP is if the site gives it to them, and they are not likely to do that for piracy... though they might for something like the blueprints to the pentagon or something along those lines =P.

No. What they are currently doing to catch pirates is going on p2p networks like torrents and gnutella and logging all the IPs that are downloading or uploading certain files, then sending letters to those people's ISPs. So they track it by the file, not by the downloader.

Now there has recently been some talk about how an IP address might not even be enough evidence to convict someone because of the growing number of unsecured wireless networks. So if you have an unsecure wireless network and get in trouble, just deny everything and say it must have been a neighbor.... they can't prove it wasn't a neighbor and they can't get a warrant to go search your neighbors' houses. Under the concept of "innocent until proven guilty" this is a perfect defense, however if you are on civil trial I believe (but I'm not 100% sure) you are actually "guilty until proven innocent". Since copyright violation is a civil offense you might get off the criminal charges which include the fine and everything, but you'd probably still lose the lawsuit.

It's really difficult to say for sure because anytime someone is sued or otherwise gets in trouble for piracy, either they are a member of "the scene" and get in BIG trouble because of all the criminal stuff they've done (scene members also tend to get into other illegal things like fraud and such), or they are a clueless nobody who doesn't know which end of the mouse plugs into the computer so they confess up front because they don't know how little proof is really against them.

I however can personally testify that Cox Communications doesn't give a rat's right foot if you pirate or not.

Reactions: lestersmodge

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The government only catches people when they want to remind the general public that pirating anything is illegal. But other than that they don't actively go out and fine people.

Seriously, even if a rom site were to be shut down and the court got the IP addresses that downloaded that probably would not press one single charge against any of the downloaders.

bach3609

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WarioN64 said:
Its as illeagal as going into a shop and robbing a game. I think its okay to dump your own DS Games and put them on a cart as backups. By the way, don't game developers use flashcarts to test their own games.
That is exactly what i do. Dump Em and use em on my acekard2i for backups so i don't have to carry em everywhere.

ninchya

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol we never know if anyone has been caught and what happened to them, i asked the same question on another forum. All I know is that if u feel endangered just stay off of downloading files for a while and stay away from unsecure sites. Your changes of catching a virus is higher than the fbi knocking down at your door.

Also Ur IP is beening tracked right know and the fbi is knocking at ur door, take your computer and flashcarts and jump out the window and cross the canadian border u should be safe there. lol
biggrin.gif
excl.gif
ph34r.gif
laugh.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's right between raping a prostitute and throwing her body into the river.

Not really. It's as illegal as bootlegging movies, but the fact is that no one cares. The internet can't be regulated to stop it and it's an issue that doesn't really hurt people. Big deal, greedy CEO's get a slightly smaller, albeit gigantic, paycheck. I doubt they'll be losing a wink of sleep if a few thousand copies of a game are pirated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: It's very sad and a poignant example of why preservation is so important.