Hacking How illegal is downloading games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XLuma

Pkmn Rom Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah it depend on your country( and your internet provider like videotron) ... I got caught downloading a game, and I received a letter saying I'm breaking the copyright and 1 or 2 laws ( the game was from Nintendo) and that Nintendo will get the message

If I didn't have some luck I bet, I would have to pay 5000$ because I'

Last edited by XLuma,

XLuma

Pkmn Rom Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But one of the best method to not get caught when downloading/Uploading is to rename the file with a name that is not owned by any company... Like if you are uploading a pokemon game, do not name it Pokemon X, name it with a dumb name so because the name isn't owned by anyone, you're safe ( unless you are getting something that is saying something like that you made unothaurized modification to the original copy...

Last edited by XLuma,

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
your brother does have a point. the fines for content theft are pretty high in some places and you could be fined for every individual download separately.
i've known a few people who were caught downloading music with one of those old file share network tools. one paid like 200DM per track for 34 downloaded tracks.the other was lucky enough to commit his crime once they topped how high fines could add up.
in some countries, there might even be jailtime up to 5 years.

but its very different depending on where you live.
technically, it shouldn't be hard to track game downloads, your ips could do it, but they dont, too much work.
law enforcement could, but has more important things to do.
content owners could set up download sites that track ips but i have a feeling if a content owner made up a website to share their content to find people who'd download it for free, in a court, that would count as a free giveaway.
filehosters could save your data, but dont because they mostly make their money through illegal downloads

really, the only way to have this come back to you is to download using torrents as those distribute location and ip to everyone, even a lawfirm working on the behalf of content creators.

if you guys just download through freeshop, mega and similar file hosters, as well as normal rom sites there's little to worry about currently. specifically, the gaming industry isn't combating piracy as much as the music industry did.

that said, the only way to be absolutely sure is to not steal digital content.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But one of the best method to not get caught when downloading/Uploading is to rename the file with a name that is not owned by any company... Like if you are uploading a pokemon game, do not name it Pokemon X, name it with a dumb name so because the name isn't owned by anyone, you're safe

that only hides the game on a very superficial level.
if he shares the thing in a forum as a pokemon game, it can still be found by lawyers and content owners to be removed and potentially have the uploaders information disclosed.

the content is still owned by someone, even if you rename the file.

XLuma

Pkmn Rom Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah maybe, but if they really wanted to do this, well everything on this forum would be removed because of those lawyers... but you still have a point

CodyWGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
good to know lol i have someone at my school who is just a whiny crybaby snitch who's going around saying "HE'S DOWNLOADING ILLEGAL NINTENDO GAMES!!! OFFICER ARREST HIM WAH WAH". also everyone hates him lol
this kid is just so sensitive apparently lol.

Reactions: cearp

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
good to know lol i have someone at my school who is just a whiny crybaby snitch who's going around saying "HE'S DOWNLOADING ILLEGAL NINTENDO GAMES!!! OFFICER ARREST HIM WAH WAH". also everyone hates him lol
this kid is just so sensitive apparently lol.

why did you dump this, dude. old thread is old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn