How illegal is downloading games?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by kama, Oct 14, 2009.

1. XWolf

XWolf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 9, 2009
    Aside from the legal side of things, the problem with downloads of movies/games, etc is that it gives a false impression to the producers as to what people want.

To clarify; two games come out. One is crap but sells x amount anyway. The second game is awesome, however because of the piracy the actual store sales equal that of the crap game. Therefore the producers think that the crap game is actually good.

You can see this in action with some of the utter crap that comes out in all markets. Stuff that the film and game reviewers condemn yet are consistently repeated and you also read about the new ideas and the unique games that never make release, or the games that the producers put pressure on the programmers to change to what they see as a more successful formula. Often resulting in broken or hastily released games.

2. Panzer Tacticer

Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Apr 13, 2008
    Canada
    Right Here

I love posts like these, fairly amusing.

First off if you are a minor stop worrying about the law, your parents are the ones that will be getting fined, and or sitting in jail if anything.

Now granted, if your parents only get fined, you might want to consider the future of your hide when your parents get their hands on it. Not to mention you might have just butt fucked your meal ticket.

But even funnier are the replies from retards explaining how digital theft isn't really theft because nothing was really taken. Man those people are incredibly fucking stupid (in any nation's case eh). They have a future in flipping burgers with that level if intellect.

3. iFish

iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Jul 11, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, QC
    no mine was jsut saying why i dont feel gulity and if you were implyign me go fuck your self [​IMG] becasue i am actually gonna say im the nerd in my class the smart one

4. da_head

da_head A dying dream..

Apr 7, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, Canader!
    extremely illegal. you better stop b4 i get you [​IMG]

5. Okami Wolfen

Okami Wolfen GBAtemp Regular

Jul 10, 2009
    United States
    Ohio
    It's only illegal if you get caught, [​IMG]

6. anaxs

anaxs got milk, got candy

Mar 23, 2009
    Canada
    your moms jeans pocket
    thats wat i say...but even if u do get caught or they catch u..after the rehab or shit they put u into ur gonna go back to pirating

7. asuri

asuri GBAtemp Fan

Jun 6, 2007
    Canada
    You've probably heard about the mp3 file cases. The people angry started to work on mod-ders and flashcart sellers, most of the time to tell them to cease and desist. There is no chance they would find and bill you for downloading illegally uploading copies of the game but there are reports of IPs scanning their customers internet usage. The chances of anything happening are as slim as getting checked on the skytrain in vancouver.

8. Konachan

Konachan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2009
    United States
    My Computer
    so illegal if you do it the police will tear gas your house, rape your mom hamster and dog then burn your house down and after you wollow in the ashes they slit your throat. then after that Miyamoto takes a big dump on your body.

9. stab244

stab244 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 1, 2008
    United States
    I don't have a hamster or a dog... Guess I'm safe then.

10. basher11

basher11 GBAtemp's Official Vocaloid Lover

Jun 29, 2009
    United States
    rofl. even without those they'll find something that would be a substitute for them.

11. newgamer

newgamer Member

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2009
    end of time
    hey mate think about this. if downloading is that illegal then there would be no site that allow us to download roms and even have what they call premium services. now if your really that curious about getting caught then buy those real flashcard thing then.

12. clegion

clegion GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 5, 2009
    United States
    everyone who pay to download ROM is a dumbfuck, nuff said

13. bach3609

bach3609 GBAtemp Fan

May 31, 2009
    Well although i don't exactly go with piracing, i'll at least say this also. Just download like 1 game every 2 days, or 1 day and you'll be fine. Just don't too often, i mean like 50 a day [​IMG] Also if you want, use Newsgroup servers for that purpose, it's like impossible to be caught, cept it costs like $5 a month for a giganews subscription for 1GB a month.(although that seems decent, no one downloads that much in a month of games.(i think?)

14. MikeTaylor

MikeTaylor Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 29, 2017
    United States
    Well for me i was using Utorrent to download wii game iso's. i had the torrent sitting there for i wanna say months just "seeding" till one day my internet went off even tho we paid the bill. They told us they found instnces of The legend of zelda being downloaded(even tho i had downloaded quite a few more games than just that) and that it needed to be deleted now. So i completely deleted it off both my computers and they let me off.

15. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

Sep 17, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    In New Zealand

What happens if caught?
    you get a strike and once you have 3 strikes you get fined

How often do people get caught?
    0.0001% of the time

How easy is it to get caught?
    very difficult

Do they track every download you do?
    they track popular torrents mainly

16. flame1234

flame1234 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 17, 2009
    United States
    Criminal copyright infringement is a thing. You don't get tried for criminal copyright infringement just for downloading a ROM though - that's civil copyright infringement that you can't go to jail for. It's not a fine either, it's $250,000 (the statutory penalty) or all your money, whichever is less.

Post does not seem like a joke, but answer #1 very wrong. This answer might not be right either but it's much closer to the truth.

17. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    No such thing has "how illegal". It's either legal or not.
    If a copyright holder thought it was worth their time to sue you, you would get fined (you can technically get fined PER DOWNLOAD, but it's only worth suing you if they are confident that their reward would be more than they have to pay their lawyers). If you didn't pay the fine, for whatever reason, then you go to jail. If you go to jail, your anus will get stretched to the approximate size of a clown pocket.

Last edited by urherenow, Mar 29, 2017
  18. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    What Zelda game was it? BotW?

19. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    its about as illegal as J-walking....
    I have downloads countless roms and isos. i have over 800 wii isos lol. Dat archive tho..
    I have had the same ip address since 2005 and did not use a vpn. Used every method to download, p2p,newsgroups,torrents,http,ftp so yeah. ATT dont care. NOw if it was movies i would have got in trouble....

Last edited by Captain_N, Mar 29, 2017
  20. SWATlozar

SWATlozar Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2016
    Croatia
    Let me tell you. I pirated games for years. I'm not proud of it and I plan on buying most games I download once I finish university and find a decent job outside my shitty country.

Here is my experience...
    When I first got an internet connection to my PC (that was in 2003, my family was fairly poor). I was a stupid little eight-year-old wanker that couldn't download anything (like the people you find in the comment sections on torrent sites). Thus, I didn't download anything for 2 years since that. After that I pirated for like 7 years using the same IP. Nothing happened. What a carefree life. Then I downloaded for the following 4 years with a different IP. Nothing happened. I NEVER received a warning or anything like that.

Now, this could be due to the fact that I live in a country where nobody gives a rat's ass.
    That's good since retailers in my country charge twice the price of the value in the USA and we get four times less money (the average pay is around 350€ monthly). Pirating is kind of extremely common here so me and my comrades are safe. Actually, I recall trading pirated PS2 games with my classmates when I was a kid.

Ermm... Sorry, back to topic. I heard about someone getting fined a hefty sum of money because of pirating movies (10000€, I think?), but he didn't go to jail. However, that was a decade ago and I've never heard of a similar case ever since. So, downloading games is pretty safe. I dunno about the USA, but it should be similar.

Sorry about the long post, I just wanted to share my experience with you.