How illegal is downloading games?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by kama, Oct 14, 2009.

1. blackdragonbaham

blackdragonbaham GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 12, 2009
    Gambia, The
    hyper dystopian dimension
    think if you own the games you downloaded no one will blame you, as security back up or kinda that, so you won't live in fear xd; but who will bother to download games which he already owns:.

2. DeltaBurnt

DeltaBurnt I'm bored

Feb 21, 2009
    United States
    Where intellect matters
    Most people pirate because they don't want to pay the bloody high prices for games. 5 games at most equals the cost of the system itself. I know many people who would rather goto jail than give those greedy CEOs more money (especially during the recession).

EDIT:

Also if you're ISP sends you an alert email or letter about copyright download DO NOT CALL OR RESPOND TO IT! This is just confirming that you're the person who did it. In total they'll send you atleast 3 warnings before they actually take legal actions. Look it up on wikipedia.

3. stab244

stab244 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 1, 2008
    United States
    I think they do.I remember seeing in the Guitar Hero: On Tour commercials a microSD slot in the cart in the DS.

4. eltrut

eltrut GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2008
    This holds true for most games like Nintendo's in-house ones, but good 3rd party developers can get raped by this as they can't break into the mainstream because the people who actually wanted the game download it so there arent enough sales to make it look like a good game to the uninitiated.

Saying that though, I still nearly always just download the games [​IMG]

5. dewback

dewback GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2008
    United States
    Michigan
    for downloading from a site. It would be the sites that gets hit with the copyright infringement.

If download with torrent you could be hit if seeding and get caught.

great thing about DS games is the largest is only 256mb and can be downloaded quick.

6. triassic911

triassic911 Burst Mode

May 9, 2007
    United States
    NYC, USA
    Don't worry about it.

7. DeltaBurnt

DeltaBurnt I'm bored

Feb 21, 2009
    United States
    Where intellect matters
    Most people don't realize that the you aren't sent to jail the second you are caught downloading illegal backups. In fact your ISP (internet provider) will just send you a warning most of the time. Plus in the worse case scenario that you don't listen to the warning they'll probably just shut off your internet or send a cease a desist order (this would be more for seeding torrents and running a ROM site).

8. alexlee01

alexlee01 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2009
    its like looking at a vagina at the age of 10
    and the cop come saying u look at a vagina

9. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    I'm not getting it. If a cop finds you looking at a vagina, than I'm pretty sure that's not a cop, just a middle aged man in a cop uniform with chlorophorm in one hand a bottle of Rouphies in the other.

If you get caught, you'll get fined a chunk of cash, although it's not quite common that you'll be caught. Police won't bust into your home or send out an arrest warrant for online piracy, they just don't care.

How often? Not very, I think, since many people are rather quiet about their piracy and cops don't care as much as raping some chick or murdering small children.

How easy? Not very easy. If someone was monitering your internet without your consent, it's just as bad as pirating. And nobody goes around torrent sites or ROM sites arresting people left and right.

Do they track? No, that's like wiretapping your calls. They probably do, but they won't blow the fact they do over some guy pirating a few games.

10. DeltaBurnt

DeltaBurnt I'm bored

Feb 21, 2009
    United States
    Where intellect matters
    Again you probably won't be immediately fined with a huge amount of money for copyright infringement. Read this:

11. iFish

iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Jul 11, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, QC
    pirating isnt as bad as stelling becasue when you download a game its not like steeling when you steal somebody loses it and dosnt have it anymore when you download nobody loases their copy on the game so you feel no gult

12. jphriendly

jphriendly GBAtemp Fan

Sep 24, 2008
    United States
    This thread reminded me of the quote in YayMii's sig:

[​IMG]

13. stab244

stab244 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 1, 2008
    United States
    Lol... I remember when I first saw that... It is kind of offensive if their grandma is dead...

14. iFish

Jul 11, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, QC
    i personally tested this myth and its busted lol mythbusters gaming edtion

15. anaxs

anaxs got milk, got candy

Mar 23, 2009
    Canada
    your moms jeans pocket
    they could track u down easily but that wouldn't solve anytihng
    thats just one erson in the whole world
    piracy is getting larger and larger and more than millions of people do it

i dont know anyone who has gotten caught but if u do n ur doing major piracy then ur in trouble
    but it depends on ur age too like if your 5 years old, they wont put u in jail or anytihng but just put u in some special program to teach u not to pirate until u learn

16. iFish

Jul 11, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, QC
    its not our fualt people make flash cards and we buy em

17. jphriendly

jphriendly GBAtemp Fan

Sep 24, 2008
    United States
    End result of that attitude...More and more shovelware. I, for one, buy the things I enjoy. Sure I can pirate it, but, buying it encourages the better teams/companies to keep developing.

On topic: In most cases, downloading will not get you in trouble. But, if it does, don't be surprised since you are, in fact, breaking the law.

18. iFish

Jul 11, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, QC
    yeah i buy the ame that i want that i know i like but games i jsut wanna play i download

19. Burnedmagix

Burnedmagix GBAtemp Regular

Apr 18, 2009
    United States
    Never seen a guy sued for downloading games more than downloading other media

20. Nugg2396

Nugg2396 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 9, 2009
    Malaysia
    good thing my country doesn't care, heck, almost all the game stores sell pirated Wii and PS2 games, most stores don't sell many DS games, they sell flash carts [​IMG]