Hacking How hard is it to swap a DS lite shell?

HugeCock

Oh My....
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I haven't sent in my DS yet....I just don't want to send it away even though its under warrenty. So I was wondering how hard will it be to change the shell myself when the new cases come out from that one company. On a scale of 1 to 5 how hard is it? Is there a serious risk on screwing up your DS lite? Or is it just a matter of dissasemble and reassemble?

HugeCock

Oh My....
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I did not ask [B]how do I take apart my DS lite[/B] I asked how hard is it to do so? What is the room for error? If I am just swapping out a case do I need to worry about ribbons, what concerns should someone with little DS dissasembly experience have? I have moded my Cube, my PS2, Xbox 360, flashed 4 DS units however I have huge hands so I am a bit worried about taking apart a lite. The answer I am looking for is, its SUPER easy to swap out a shell.

Oh wait, page 2 of that link says and I quote:

Wow a mod needs to sticky that, very VERY nice job Thieves! I will be using that for sure!!

So yes I read that, of course Thieves did not go into taking apart the top half and again I just want to know how HARD it is to do so, how long it normally takes to do something like a case swap.

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
it's not too hard to take apart, although I'd would chat the manta of *patience*, *patience*, *patience*

first and foremost, don't force anything!
if the bottom shell halves won't separate easily, this probably means that you've forgotten to remove one of the 7 screws holding them together.

step by step, here are other things to be aware of:
step 2
be extremely careful removing the rubber pads that cover the screw holes (there are four of these that cover the screws on the top half as well). the glue on them is rather sticky and as such, the pad need a pretty good amount of force to separate them from the casing, so you need to be careful that whatever it is that you're using to lift them out, doesn't slip and marr your ds lite's nice, shiney finish!
ohmy.gif

step 7
working on a bright, clean surface will help you find any small parts (screws, springs, shoulder button posts, etc...) that may fly off in an unknown direction. I can't tell you how many screws I've accidently dropped on my carpeting and then spent the next 10-15mins combing it with my hands which was like looking for a needle in a haystack.

step 8
I wish I had a macro lense for my camera to show the ribbon cable clips better (which would also show how they work), but the one I want is 600usd. donations anyone? the two larger cables (that pass information to the displays are connected with a flip-type locking clip. releasing the lock is accomplished by lifting the dark portion of the connector up. from the side that the the ribbon cable enters the connector, use your thumbnail to lift the lock up, and then gently pull evenly on the ribbon cable to pull it out.

note: in an original ds, the two smaller ribbon cables are secured by sliding plastic locks. using a small, jeweler-sized flat bladed screwdriver, push both sides of the lock (brown) from the connector in the direction that the ribbon connector clips into it from.
in the ds lite, the small ribbon cable (which controls the touch screen functionality) is merely press fit, however as stated in my original write-up, removing it is far more easier than re-inserting it due to its position and the [lack] of excess to work with.

hope this helps.

ps
it took me about 30-45mins to disassemble my first ds lite (to the point that I've documented in the 'sticky'ed thread). however, that was taking my time and doing a lot of looking to see how things were connected and what I needed to do in order to proceed (ie. I wasn't in any real hurry to get it done, so I took my time).
having done a few of them now, I could probably rip one apart completely (including the top shell) in about 15mins.

HugeCock

Oh My....
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Thieves, with my ADD and lack of free time these days I may just hold off for now. Thanks much man! Shipping my DS back tomorrow I guess

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16