Gaming How good is Zelda BotW in your opinion?

How good is Zelda BotW in your opinion?

• Awesome

Votes: 118 71.5%
  • Above average

Votes: 32 19.4%
  • Average

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Below average

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Terrible

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, when I first read it I thought you were saying there is no Ganon in BotW. That wouldn't even make sense because he's already been mentioned :P
I wouldn't know, i haven't seen him yet, but is the first thing the story mentions. (if anyone actually care about the story of this game... or any zelda game) I don't really play them for story, the clever use of items to solve puzzles is why i play zelda games, this one hardly has them. At the start is only 5 items you "Install" on the sheikah "Tablet" I mean slate. (Yes i'm poking fun) Bombs, magnet, time freeze and ice pillars (bombs, magnsis, stasis cryosis) Then that is it. I'm glad for the infinite bombs, now only if they did a decent amount of damage. Is good for hunting animals for food and attacking with no weapons but is not the fastest way to defeat enemies.

Besides that the abilities aren't bad, making ice of water is fun, and helpful since swimming cost stamina, the stasis with momentum based damage attacking balls is challenging too challenging sometimes, is like playing golf. (Even though the gyro control club thing is more like golf) And the magnet is unique, that is about it. Most zelda games gives total of 8 items and have decent size dungeons to solve puzzles in. But this game has over 100 shrines and only 5 items to use for each of them, and not more than half require items anyway, some are just "Beat this one robotic monster with 4 hands. Here is a bunch of holes, fill them with balls in specific pattern with very cryptic clues, here is the use of augmented reality to solve a puzzle." (Gryo controls)

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't know, i haven't seen him yet, but is the first thing the story mentions. (if anyone actually care about the story of this game... or any zelda game) I don't really play them for story, the clever use of items to solve puzzles is why i play zelda games, this one hardly has them. At the start is only 5 items you "Install" on the sheikah "Tablet" I mean slate. (Yes i'm poking fun) Bombs, magnet, time freeze and ice pillars (bombs, magnsis, stasis cryosis) Then that is it. I'm glad for the infinite bombs, now only if they did a decent amount of damage. Is good for hunting animals for food and attacking with no weapons but is not the fastest way to defeat enemies.

Besides that the abilities aren't bad, making ice of water is fun, and helpful since swimming cost stamina, the stasis with momentum based damage attacking balls is challenging too challenging sometimes, is like playing golf. (Even though the gyro control club thing is more like golf) And the magnet is unique, that is about it. Most zelda games gives total of 8 items and have decent size dungeons to solve puzzles in. But this game has over 100 shrines and only 5 items to use for each of them, and not more than half require items anyway, some are just "Beat this one robotic monster with 4 hands. Here is a bunch of holes, fill them with balls in specific pattern with very cryptic clues, here is the use of augmented reality to solve a puzzle." (Gryo controls)
Yeah, the bombs could be more powerful, but then again might make it too easy.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why most people concern of the game is being too easy. If someone wants the game to be difficult, then make it difficult, set restrictions. I don't know how many times people wanna brag about playing call of duty "Oh i only use a knife and nothing else, i'm so good." Okay fine, if you have fun setting your own restrictions then is how you like the game. If the game is too easy, make it difficult. Cripple yourself and make a challenge of it.

I would say the game is fair even if it isn't easy. But is basically how i would expect, the more you progress and get buffs, the less difficult it should be. Most RPG games don't get easier even on higher level with better stats, even on max level is still challenge, that not how it works in my opinion. :P

JFlare

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the game is great. It has amazing graphics and it is a true masterpiece. Though I wish it took a further approach towards Skyward sword or twilight princess in terms of length and the amount of dungeons.

Shokan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Although I am loving the game, I have to agree with the enemies and the story. Kinda wish that there were more enemy types and it feels weird that they never really mention the triforce.
At first I thought the game was really hard but once you get more into the game you become op, cant wait for the hard mode to come out.

Feel the same, how in this vast world can't we encounter few other strong/charismatic characters having a real impact on the main story? No simple event-triggered NPCs asking you to go to A in order to get item B etc.. Special mention to the Yiga Clan mini quest.. Story wise, It only takes you few hours outside of Great Plateau to get a real sense of the scale of the game; how big, space-wise and how empty, story-wise BOTW really is. Once you completed one of the four colossus you pretty much know how to complete the three others. I felt strong aestheticized similarities between BOTW and Miyazaki films early in the game but sadly, story-wise, the comparison fell flat. This game is great overall; visually impressive and great gameplay but far from perfect. ''Above Overall'' seems fair IMO.

Last edited by Shokan,

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
Well i played it for about two weeks, current progress, is 3 beast down, almost 3 stamina from orbs gathered from shrines, and hearts collected only from bosses. (Currently trying to complete korok "Fetch Quest" for master sword)

What i don't like is the insane difficulty. I do find it interesting idea and i'm not saying is a terrible game, just is not a Zelda type game. Had it just been unreleated to zelda series, it would probably be less controversy.

Now the things i don't really mind in the game are very little but the biggest problems i do wish didn't exist was Weather, Tempature, and stamina.

Weather effects from rain to thunderstorms. If it rains, is harder to climb rocks and mountians, which is what you do most of the time exploring. When it thunderstorm you have to unequip strong weapons to avoid electicution unless you have that gerudo helmet or those zap potions or some other stuff. (Still even equipping that helmet means changing stats of defense cause of the statitics system)

Second is the Tempaature, yes i know you have to find ingredients for recipies to cook to give heat or cold resitence or buy it from someone, or you can just equip clothing to resist it. But once again, it means changing your stats to something not really wanting to just to deal with somthing important. Instead of stocking up on heat/cool resit food/potion ingredients, you can just buy clothes. Either way there is sacrifice.

The stamina is the huge turn off. I can see why it helps with the realisim of things, I can't run forever, people do get tired and need rest. But is kinda like just everything to what you do. Need to run/ sprint? Use stamina. (ignoring comments about the glitches in the game) Need to climb walls? Stamina, Swimming? Stamina, Glide? Stamina. The 4 biggest things you will always need to do in the game requires stamina. Of course i know there is food ingredients to make with to improve the stamina situation but couldn't it have just been a bit more limited to what stamina may be needed for? In some other games, stamina is limited to running, attacking, maybe holding stuff or doging like. Probably just more combat based. I would accept having stamina limitations on combat than breaking weapons. I guess to be honest is perhaps by the way i sound is not really something i like in the game but is the thing you used most in the game cause combat isn't really a problem, exploring is the main focus of the game and stamina is required for all aspects of it, especially with such a big world and movement isn't fast.
I played open world games before, like Just cause, You can use various clevel ways to travel across places fast. A parachute with grapple hook to pull you around in the air like spider man is a fun way to travle. Perhaps the main focus of the game based on observation is exploring, trial and error, and difficulty. The game wishes to challenge players assestment skill and various other ways to think and have reflexes to adapt to situations. Is not a problem and i suppose is fair execution how is delievered. While i can simply say "Is not a zelda game, it doesn't play like one." Is not cause i'm a fan boy is simply just not what most people expected from a zelda game. I suppose is nothing wrong with a change to keep things interesting and maybe attract new people to the game, but there is just probably many fustrating parts earling in the game before you start to adapt to it.

Is a unique experience, and i don't "Like totally hate it" but i don't strongly love it. I like it enough to consider playing and maybe recommnding to someone who perhaps like seeking reward and satisfaction from deep struggle. Most of the reason why i play zelda game is the puzzle solving dungeons to challeng my self and how clever they have constructed it around the use of items you find. Legend of Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons are a good example of some exclusive items that are like that, the switch hook instead of hooks shot, the travel between time and seasons to manipulate changes, some others, especially the hero dungeon which is like the final lesson of your adventure. I like having nicely constructed things, no offense but i think the shrines maybe perhaps a idea of various people who help came up with ideas of thier own and just made over 100 of them instead of having a team construct one big one like the 4 beast dungeons.

Look i dunno if i should talk anymore, i don't want people hating me for my opinion on which seem like is not valid enough for anyone else but me, but that what opinions end up being most of the time around people who also have opinions and don't agree. I want to be able to share a opinion and not be ridicule for it, especially if is not a fact or "Not liking or seeing things the way someone else think i should" I had problems like this in school and i aim to avoid anymore of them since i have goals to make friends not get rushed down to no end. :ninja:
Nah, man. I understand your opinion, which is why I was curious and wanted to know more. I see why you feel like that.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I voted above average. Which is basically a 7 or 8 out of 10.

IMHO there are too many things different to compare it to other Zelda games. I've barely played more than the entry at this point*, but it's clear that this is one of those open world games where the final objective isn't as important as just keeping yourself busy with an endless series of mini quests. I have no doubt that they're great mini quests and there's a lot of things done right...but it's just not the sort of game I'm looking for at the moment. :)

*and it'll probably take a while before playing more...I'm busy being addicted to rocksmith 2014

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i also chose above average mainly because even though the game is awesome i have a few gripes with some things:

1. weapons break too easily and quickly.
2. some ways to unlock shrines are just plain annoying. like that fucking crowned beast one!!
3. that mofo sneak shit is back in it i hate that shit and it's in it twice!
4. the dungeons are too small.
5. i miss items...
6. i hate fucking rain and lightning is worse. soon as it rains you can kiss any chance goodbye of scaling a mountain. and lightning practically leaves you defenseless all the good swords are metal the shitty spears and wooden crap does fuck all damage.

above all i give it 7.8/10
too much rain :creep:

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

WadsRUs

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Generally amazing, but not without its flaws.

My own pet peeves are:

- awful English language voice acting. Couldn't Nintendo have included an option to select voice and subtitle languages of our choosing? I'd probably go for Japanese voice acting with English subs. Even an option to mute all voice acting would be very welcome.

- De-spawning animals. See that deer? Chase it for a while and ..... it vanishes! The same applies to boars, frogs, foxes, wolves ..... etc, etc

- lack of an option to re-map ALL buttons as we like. I know not all games give the player such an option and there are often some good reasons why, even so it would be damn useful

- fps drops - not a major deal breaker but annoying at times

- some of the shrines feel like filler/padding

- the divine beasts were a real grind to get though and pretty boring

Last edited by WadsRUs,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: