Hacking How good is SteamOS on PS4?

Zero72463

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly when I heard about this it excited me. The only problem is that they only showed off one game playing. Does anyone have a video of them playing more games? Also how good will the quality of the games be? Thanks!

Last edited by Zero72463,

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
I don't have Steam OS on my PS4, however I can tell you from running Steam on Fedora Linux anything remotely modern was unplayable when I tried.

Half Life from 1998 was playable at 60fps, however had random frame drops. I've not messed about with PS4 Linux for a while so are unsure if the GPU drivers have since improved. Don't expect to play new games though.

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
wow, i've definitely missed this one, how can we run SteamOS on our ps4???
There was an exploit back then that allowed you to install Linux on your PS4. It was on a really old firmware but there's a promising exploit for firmware 4.01

Monado_III

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't have Steam OS on my PS4, however I can tell you from running Steam on Fedora Linux anything remotely modern was unplayable when I tried.

Half Life from 1998 was playable at 60fps, however had random frame drops. I've not messed about with PS4 Linux for a while so are unsure if the GPU drivers have since improved. Don't expect to play new games though.
are you talking about fedora on ps4 or fedora on an "actual" computer?

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
are you talking about fedora on ps4 or fedora on an "actual" computer?

I could have worded that better, I was talking about Fedora on the PS4.

Old screenshot I posted months ago:

4EkDsKi.png

Reactions: Monado_III

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Did dolphin play good? Also did that game on the top left play good?

Dolphin dropped to about 15fps whenever their was movement on the screen, Half Life was generally playable at 60fps with random frame drops to 45fps. Although the game was released in 1998 and played at 60fps on my 300mhz PC back in the day.

The GPU drivers need some work and theirs no sound, but other than that Linux worked pretty well on the PS4 when I was messing about the other month. A workaround for the sound is to use a USB sound card, although i didn't try that.

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
Dolphin dropped to about 15fps whenever their was movement on the screen, Half Life was generally playable at 60fps with random frame drops to 45fps. Although the game was released in 1998 and played at 60fps on my 300mhz PC back in the day.

The GPU drivers need some work and theirs no sound, but other than that Linux worked pretty well on the PS4 when I was messing about the other month. A workaround for the sound is to use a USB sound card, although i didn't try that.

I use a Creative SoundBlaster Play 2 on my PS4/fedora setup. Works well, plug and play :D

Reactions: InsaneNutter

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The reason no one discovered it is that the N64 Castlevania games sucked.... +1