Homebrew How good is GBA emulation on New 3DS?

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Before I do some downgrading, how good is the GBA emulation on New 3DS firmware 9.2? Will it run full speed with no slowdowns (and no frameskip)?

In homebrew I run on 10.3 the GBA emulators don't run that fantastic, but I've heard the kernel access of 9.2 improves it. Is that true?

Also, what's the best GBA emulator for New 3DS so far?

I know the 3ds can play GBA games like the ambassador titles and you can inject roms, but the screen is so washed out in those ambassador games so I want something that's got good colour, hence an emulator.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also gba VC won't work in Emunand on n3ds so emulating is really a good alternative. I can also confirm that retroarch gpsp works absolutely fine.

daicon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to hijack, but does retroarch gpsp work well on 03DS? I'm assuming there is a difference

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Emulation works about as well as it does on the PSP. Even better in some areas. Give it time and it'll utterly crush the PSP.

GBA emulation on PSP is far from ideal. You need to use framskip a lot. Does emulation work on New 3DS fullspeed for most things without frameskip? Or is it a bit dodgy still?

pdapanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
GBA emulation on PSP is far from ideal. You need to use framskip a lot. Does emulation work on New 3DS fullspeed for most things without frameskip? Or is it a bit dodgy still?
there is no frameskip option on retroarch gpsp,and you don't need it with that gpsp.cia.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still a bit dodgy in areas, but it's still only nightlies and fairly early emulators. They just need more time and work. Also, on PSP, if you were willing to use a few different forks (like uo gpSP Kai and TempGBA4PSP) for different games, you could play most of them at fullspeed without frameskip.

pdapanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Still a bit dodgy in areas, but it's still only nightlies and fairly early emulators. They just need more time and work. Also, on PSP, if you were willing to use a few different forks (like uo gpSP Kai and TempGBA4PSP) for different games, you could play most of them at fullspeed without frameskip.
I think you are talking about the 3dsx version?
for each game I tried with cia version,they worked flawlessly.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gba vc console is still the best because its not emulation
That's fine if you're not concerned with moving save files around or having any other additional features. It's pretty much on par with all the other Nintendo VC stuff. As long as you don't mind not being able to easily access a raw save file and not having any features beyond it running well and saving, it'll serve you well.
I think you are talking about the 3dsx version?
for each game I tried with cia version,they worked flawlessly.
I'm just going off of what a friend has said about running it on his N3DS as I don't have one. He still gets minor slowdowns in areas of minish Cap where there's heavy translucent effects, for example. Nothing drastic, but noticeable. I don't know what nightly he's using, though.

Last edited by TecXero,

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
That's fine if you're not concerned with moving save files around or having any other additional features. It's pretty much on par with all the other Nintendo VC stuff. As long as you don't mind not being able to easily access a raw save file and not having any features beyond it running well and saving, it'll serve you well.
i have old 3ds though ao its only way to run games full speed and i like having all the games on the homemenu and ive messed with cheating alot and it gets boring so idc

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16