Hacking How does knowing fw version of a switch match which serial number can help?

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello,
Id like to know how knowing what serial.number of a switch help knowing its fw version
I mean, in wall mart, best buy and all other market, switch and video game console are behind glass
Do you really ask for an employee to get the switch out just to see the serial number and if it doesnt match you say sorry i dont want it, i cant hack it
Is that really a scenario most people of gbatemp do?

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
Id like to know how knowing what serial.number of a switch help knowing its fw version
I mean, in wall mart, best buy and all other market, switch and video game console are behind glass
Do you really ask for an employee to get the switch out just to see the serial number and if it doesnt match you say sorry i dont want it, i cant hack it
Is that really a scenario most people of gbatemp do?
You sound young and you are over thinking things just go to walmart and say "I'd like to buy a switch" once they walk you to the case just tell them "mind if I check the serial numbers im looking for a specific model" at this point they wont care and say sure, it's as simple as comparing what you see on your phone from here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ifBIsbTeTpk-bL1Ul9Z9ORPVX3BNH2pHlGW1Z0g8nvM/edit#gid=0 to what you see in front of you.

Reactions: peteruk

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You sound young and you are over thinking things just go to walmart and say "I'd like to buy a switch" once they walk you to the case just tell them "mind if I check the serial numbers im looking for a specific model" at this point they wont care and say sure, it's as simple as comparing what you see on your phone from here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ifBIsbTeTpk-bL1Ul9Z9ORPVX3BNH2pHlGW1Z0g8nvM/edit#gid=0 to what you see in front of you.
That spreadsheet doesn't seem to reveal a pattern...

DolopODog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That spreadsheet doesn't seem to reveal a pattern...

There may be some pattern. I analyzed it in Excel, and found that some models reported do have a better chance of coming with an exploitable firmware.

Attached are the results. Models highlighted in green are more likely to come with 2.3.0 or lower.

Attachments

• Results.png
    Results.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 566

DoubleSwitched

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I asked the employee to check the serial then I asked if i could check the FW version because i wanted the 3.0 for hacking purposes. It was a small videogame shop.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I asked the employee to check the serial then I asked if i could check the FW version because i wanted the 3.0 for hacking purposes. It was a small videogame shop.
Don't even have to go that far you run the risk of them denying you the purchase, just check the serial and don't make a conversation when they don't care in the first place.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all