How do you cope with games that are too difficult?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Really depends on how the game handles it. (Among others) Rayman does a great job at this: parts aren't too long and don't faff about failing. There's hardly a second between failing and the ability to try again. It needs good controls and needs to ramp up the difficulty smoothly.

But once a game does this, it becomes better than an average or even an easy game. On that topic: some Rocksmith tracks want to make me go hide under a blanket. But because I can practice all sections of all songs at my own speed and difficulty, I can just spend hours practicing to suck less (btw... One day I'll 100% those iron maiden songs... In about 1000 years, but I'll get there :-P )

jmhannz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are not a gamer, until you can beat water temple without any form of guide. When you do this you've earned your man card.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Anyone who cheats in games cause it's "to difficult" isn't a gamer.

I do a lot of research about the game if it's difficult.
I had a lot less trouble with '99 mode on Bioshock Infinite then I had with Normal mode so I guess you could say I'm decent at gaming?

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is a certain point where a game is just not fun and not worth the difficulty. Like...most every NES game.

But for most games in general, I just play until I beat it. Dark Souls used to kick my ass, now I bend it over. It's very satisfying to look back on a game that you used to find so damn difficult to do the simplest things, and now you just crush it.

Guitar Hero 3 was a big one for me I think. I played it with a controller instead of the silly plastic guitar. I loved that game, and no matter how hard it kicked my ass, I kicked back. I wish I still had my old PS2 controller with the flat triggers (only way to play, srsly) to play some more. I beat GH3 on expert, and not only that I actually perfected over 70% of the songs to boot. Some are flat out impossible on controller since you can't physically push a button fast enough to strum on beat, but for every single other song no matter how difficult, I played it for hours, days and even weeks until I finally beat it.

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming we're only talking about games designed to be hard and not ones that are simply hard due to bad design or something, I usually get pissed off and refuse to let the game beat me. Sometimes it works, sometimes I just lose patience and stop playing but generally, if it's a game I actually like I'll keep at it.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Depends if I feel it's my fault or a game design flaw.

If I think the game design is flawed, I just move on, many other games to play.

Otherwise I give it some rest and try again the next other day. Old school fire emblem is an example of this, one single mistake and you can lose a character forever but I know it was my fault.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't like souls games but for some reason I thought Bloodborne could change my mind. Well it didn't, but as I bought it I decided I would at least go as far as I could or at least kill one boss so I felt I really gave it a chance.

I killed two bosses, but after some creep with a machine gun kept mowing me down as soon as I got out of cover I cursed the game and probably never touching it again.

Reyn_the_Insane

Mega Man Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't rage when gaming. I shrug it off and say "Oh well. It happened." Or maybe it's my overindulgence to Mega Man games, I've gotten so used to dying that I don't rage in any other game. Although Mega Man is easy to me now, and I'd have to play hard mode to get a challenge out of it.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
git gud!

That said, I am very bad TBH.
I die so much, so often.
The weird thing is I don't even find the games as hard as they are supposed to be, but yet I die.
I was playing Momodora 4 in insane, and I didn't think it was as difficult as they tell, but yet I checked my Kaho dead count and it is at 409, I just keep dying with cheap one hits.

As long as I am not playing competitive or multiplayer that is not a problem, I just play again.

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I selected "easy" for my play of Uncharted. No regrets.
Easy is the default option, so I guess that's what the developer recommends for average players. There's like 5 more difficulties above easy and one below it, which the selection screen says is for players who just want to enjoy the story.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Have any of you guys had a problem with a games difficulty? How do you overcome it?
If you need strategy advice, YouTube can be good. I beat a hunter trial in Horizon Zero Dawn because I watched a YouTube video of how to beat it, after having no clue what to do.

If it's an RPG game, play a different game. I don't enjoy challenge in RPGs.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I tend to get really frustrated if it's a game I really want to finish. I don't mean that I rage or so, just become sad that it's too difficult and annoying me so much that I can't beat it, or invest enough time to beat it.

Unlimited SaGa says hi.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It depends on the type of difficulty and how easy it is to retry, mostly. I can't be bothered to deal with Dark Souls and similar because while I don't mind the difficulty, I cannot stand having to walk back to the boss every time you get hit by an instakill attack or whatever. On the other hand, I've beaten some stupidly hard stuff, mostly rhythm game and platformer related, with one boss in particular taking me about 21 hours ingame time and 2000 attempts to beat. If something feels very cheap though, looking up a video to see what the monsters do and how the player handles it can be very helpful too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.