ROM Hack how do I undub NDS .roms?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 9,026
  • Replies 8
D

Deleted User

OP
I want to undub Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (E) and Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded (E) to Japanese voices instead of English but keeping the game text in English. How can I do this? :unsure:

(I already have both the (J) and (E) versions of the NDS roms)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For 99% of games you find the sound_data.sdat from the Japanese ROM and replace the one in the NA or European version of the ROM with it. SDAT is the main DS format used for sound and it usually gets called sound_data.sdat but occasionally games would use a different name (still usually the same extension though).
You need a tool to deconstruct and rebuild ROM images to do it. There are many tools that can do it though between ndstool (dsbuff and DSlazy being frontends if you do not fancy using the command line or a batch file), crystaltile2 and tinke there should be one of those you can get along with.

The other handful of troublesome ROMs are usually games where there was more sound or vast differences between the regions (very rare), games that do not appreciate being repacked by ndstool (rare and solved by using one of the other tools), the SDAT was packed in another file (SDAT is usually notable for not being packed into a file but it has happened before), the component files were left to roam free (seen several times) or something other than the SDAT format though in the last two examples it is still the same idea (replace any NA/EU sound files with those of the Japanese game).

Reactions: Deleted User

cmmneto

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I need some insight on a problem: I'm trying to undub Megaman Battle Network 5 on DS and it isn't JUST switching sdat files, since the sound for program advances don't play, for example (who knows what else!). I found out 2 extra files inside the japanese .sdat. Tryed just removing them and just replacing the .swar files inside the american rom, but the rom crashed. I'm no programmer, so I only know the basic of the basic when it comes to programing. What I want to know is: is it possible for me to make this corrections or will I need to go through programming school to do it?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I do not know what went wrong for you, Megaman BN 5 on the DS was probably my first ever undub (I had previously injected smaller sound files to reduce game sizes) and it worked fine. I think I might have renamed something but I am thinking back to 2006 or maybe even 2005 at this point.

Deleted member 282441

AKA ZeroTheSavior
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, the MMBN 5 undub is the easiest undub ever.

There's a youtube tutorial for it which I can't link because the description contains a link to the roms, but if you search "megaman battle network 5 double team ds undub" you should find it.

cmmneto

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So, the program advances voices work for you guys? Weird...maybe I'm doing something wrong then.

EDIT: checked the youtube tutorial, and it did EXACLY like I did.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup