Emulation How do I get the GameCube controller working in the homebrew channel?

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I want to play Nintendont it works perfectly fine but in the homebrew menu or any of the other emulators it simply does not register. Is there like a .wad I have to install to get it working?

To be clear I'm using mayflash gamecube for Wii U, it's set to Wii U mode and I'm using a wavebird controller.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If I want to play Nintendont it works perfectly fine but in the homebrew menu or any of the other emulators it simply does not register. Is there like a .wad I have to install to get it working?

To be clear I'm using mayflash gamecube for Wii U, it's set to Wii U mode and I'm using a wavebird controller.
Most things don't support it, and I don't think there's a way around that. You might be able to find versions of some homebrew that has support added, but I don't think support exists for most homebrew and definitely not for HBC.
Edit: To be specific, Nintendont works because it has support for USB gamepads. The GC controller adapter registers as a USB device in Wii mode, so it works differently to the GC ports on a Wii. There's nothing stopping homebrew from supporting it but they have to be updated to support it.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most things don't support it, and I don't think there's a way around that. You might be able to find versions of some homebrew that has support added, but I don't think support exists for most homebrew and definitely not for HBC.
I remembered it working fine when I had homebrew on the Wii. Is vwii somehow different than the original? I just want to be able to use a gamecube controller and I'll install a lower version of the homebrew channel if that's what it takes.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I remembered it working fine when I had homebrew on the Wii. Is vwii somehow different than the original? I just want to be able to use a gamecube controller and I'll install a lower version of the homebrew channel if that's what it takes.
But that was using the built in GC ports, not the GC adapter, right? Those are two completely different things.
The GC adapter is actually only meant to work in Sm4sh, it was never designed for Wii mode.
You'd have more luck using a Wii U Pro Controller in Wii mode. Those are actually supported by most emulators, as well as Nintendont.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But that was using the built in GC ports, not the GC adapter, right? Those are two completely different things.
The GC adapter is actually only meant to work in Sm4sh, it was never designed for Wii mode.
You'd have more luck using a Wii U Pro Controller in Wii mode. Those are actually supported by most emulators, as well as Nintendont.
How can I use a proper controller then? Especially for emulators like Wii64.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
How can I use a proper controller then? Especially for emulators like Wii64.
If you have a Wii U Pro Controller you can check this list: https://gbatemp.net/threads/discussion-vwii-homebrews-which-support-the-wii-u-pro-controller.371895/
Doesn't look like Wii64/Not64 supports it yet.

If you want a controller that works with everything, I recommend a Classic Controller Pro, or a Hori Battle Pad if you prefer the GC-style. The only downside with that is it has to be tethered to a Wii Remote.
Here's the Hori Battle Pad: https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Battle-Mario-Version-Turbo-u/dp/B00ND0E5ZU

Reactions: RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a Wii U Pro Controller you can check this list: https://gbatemp.net/threads/discussion-vwii-homebrews-which-support-the-wii-u-pro-controller.371895/
Doesn't look like Wii64/Not64 supports it yet.

If you want a controller that works with everything, I recommend a Classic Controller Pro, or a Hori Battle Pad if you prefer the GC-style. The only downside with that is it has to be tethered to a Wii Remote.
Here's the Hori Battle Pad: https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Battle-Mario-Version-Turbo-u/dp/B00ND0E5ZU
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll order it this afternoon.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

While we're on the subject and to save me the trouble of making another topic. What is currently the best N64 emulator for the Homebrew channel? I've been using Wii64 but they haven't been updated in so long and the compatibility with the Rare games are questionable.

If it's the best we got that's fine. I just wanted to keep my options open.

Last edited by RemixDeluxe,

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While we're on the subject and to save me the trouble of making another topic. What is currently the best N64 emulator for the Homebrew channel? I've been using Wii64 but they haven't been updated in so long and the compatibility with the Rare games are questionable.

If it's the best we got that's fine. I just wanted to keep my options open.

LongTimeLurker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not64 is a pretty awesome fork of Wii64. It's more updated than Wii64 (which I think had development dropped). Last update to Not64 was April 20th of this year.

I don't think it has libwupc support, but I think there's a fork of the PS1 emulator that has it (found here).

Last edited by LongTimeLurker,

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll order it this afternoon.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wii64? Completely outdated since a couple of years ago. Use Not64, you will definitely see the improvement if you have been using Wii64 all this time (specially Rare games)

Reactions: RemixDeluxe

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
unlike people said to you both wii64 and not64 support wii u pro controller and its a great controller, just buy an official one that works on both and most emulators, heck any homebrew recompiled for the wii has wiiu pro support since wii u pro controller is now integrated with latest devkits

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: +1