How come Gameboy Micros are so rare and wanted so much?

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by DTGS, Jul 19, 2011.

Jul 19, 2011
    • Newcomer

DTGS New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I guess I'm taking mine for granted but I know I got a Gameboy Micro from a friend for free and it's in a real good condition (Except the Faceplate of course)

I went out and bought a GB SP since I wanted a bigger screen from gamestop but now I'm starting to regret this purchase (I don't think Gamestop will let me refund) and I would have rather just continued using my Micro. I still have it btw.

brandonspikes King Erazer

Message Count:
    United States
    Small production.

Slyakin See ya suckers

Message Count:
    United States
    Rare: Because it was a bit of a flop; People didn't think it was any better then the GBASP at the time.

Wanted so much: The screen is supposedly great, and the brightness was something else for it's time. Also collector's item.

I really want one, but I can never find a cheap one. :/

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Message Count:
    United States
    I always thought they were stupid. Extremely tiny and you couldn't play GB or GBC games on them (which I still play often).
    • Newcomer

DTGS New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Yeah that's why I might have wanted a Gameboy SP.. to play gameboy games.

Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Message Count:
    Uruguay
    They are wanted because they are sexy, they are expensive because they are rare.

oxenh The most unknown member of GBAtemp

Message Count:
    Chile
    here are extremely rare and hard to find
    i got the mine almost a year ago and don´t regret for paying the extra buck for it XD
    the only insure is the scratch of the faceplate

Zidapi New Member

Message Count:
    Australia
    Nah, that's not why at all.

They were released at the very end of the GBAs life just as the DS was coming out.

The DS simply overshadowed it. Why buy a new GBA when the DS had the same screen and could play both DS and GBA games?

KidIce New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Flash cart... Goomba Color... 'nuff said.

I don't really get the appeal either, though, it's not like an SP or even a DSlite are such pigs that you can't take them w/ you.

jamesaa The Prince of Insufficient Light

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    I bought mine as it was very "pocketable", i stuck an EZflash IV in it with a bunch of games, and put that in my coat pocket. Whenever i was stuck in a line (which used to happen alot at the post ofice etc) or i was just stuck out somewhere and was bored I would play some GBA games on the micro [IMG]

However now it just sits in a drawer i'm sad to say, as my phone (xperia play) is more than adequate for the same situations and can play all the same games and more, and it's a device i would have on me at all times, so no more needing to remember to charge the micro.

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Message Count:
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    United States
    I love the way the buttons feel on the micro. The best ever IMO.

It's cute.
    It's simple.
    it's small.

Perfect.

Zidapi New Member

Message Count:
    Australia
    As far as expensive goes, I'd have to disagree.

[IMG]

While as a collector, the special editions are a little pricey, the regular ones are very reasonable.

They've neither gone up nor down in value since their final price slash and production was stopped.

They were being sold off for $50AUD at retail stores and that's still the price you can expect to pick them up for second hand on eBay here.

whyyes New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    So you're saying you'd want to pay retail price for a second hand item >.>
    Sorry, I'll stick with GameStop for this one.

Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp's Official Glaceon™ The little Luciferian

Message Count:
    United States
    It's rare because no one wanted one and it didn't last very long. They released it after the GBA era right in the DS Era, great idea right?
    People want it because it's rare and didn't last very long.
    EDIT: Also I own one myself, they are a nice little thing to have and work quite nicely.
    • Former Staff

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

Message Count:
    United States
    I think the micro would have done better if it had the full functionality of a regular GBA.

They are rare because they are out of production. They are wanted because they are a Nintendo product and many loyal Nintendo fans collect anything and everything Nintendo.

SamAsh07 My ride...

Message Count:
    Bahrain
    I'm on the lookout for one too, they definitely are RARE. I only found 1 GB Micro 2 days back but didn't buy it because it was a second hand and apparently scratched and all. I like my Nintendo or any product to be in perfect mint condition when I buy i.e. fresh stock. So I'll just continue my search from here onwards.
    • Newcomer

xyanide1986 New Member

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    I'm having no trouble at all finding these in my country, parents and kids outgrowing them sell them regularly here. I picked a green one up last week for about $40 including shipping and some forgettable games.

Why they're "rare" and wanted now? I guess gamers have recognised the great build quality of these tiny little things (I think a console in anodised aluminium is pretty unique). Even if the GBA library of must-play titles isn't that large the micro does offer if at its best original quality, and good luck finding an SP with a backlit screen. Micros have been collector's items for a while now, because they're cute and sturdy and colorful. I don't think they're so wanted just because they're supposed to be rare, but that seems to depend on where you live.

The reason micro did badly, DS almost instantly after?

Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Over here they were too expensive; the Micro (£70) came out after the DS (£90), so the DS was a far more sensible investment. They only got cult-popular when places started selling them off cheap.

Tanas New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    I only recently bought a mint silver micro for £12.50 from my local Gamestation.

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Message Count:
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Nobody I knew wanted one because, as stated, the alternatives were the DS and SP, both of which more functionality.