Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Greetings!
Im studying programming, and I was wondering if I could see the source code of a software (any) just for learning purposes.
Like, seeing how one line of code is written and maybe see which lines of code makes what and so on.
First... is illegal right? But I'm guessing that free software shouldn't be a problem for that purpose.
So far I'm learning with Unity, but I don't think that the way to code in Unity works outside of Unity (for instance Visual Basic for C#)
Well, is there any way? thanks in advance.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless its open source and has source code available like on github or something, otherwise you would have to reverse engineer the program with basic machine code.
As far as legality is concerned, depends where you live, but as long as you are doing it yourself and not sharing results or sourcecode with anyone then I doubt anyobe would find out.

Last edited by Joe88,
Reactions: Gizametalman

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is quite possible, but it depends on what lenguage its used and if the software its packed or encrypted.

There are several tools in order to rever engineer the app.

At the lowest level, you can use IDA PRO + HEX EDITOR.

Then, if you want to go deeper or onto the secondary layer of code, you can always use many softwares, as JetBrains.

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm used to use Hex Editors mainly for glitching pictures, didn't know that it could be used to decrypt software.
Which one do you recommend me? like... one "General Purpose"

Autz

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
As already explained, you can't see the source code unless is intented to see that (like Open Source programs). Mostly when you write code and want to test it, the code is translated to machine code or any other programming language (compiled), making the app to test the code. (Code -> Compilation -> App)

To see it, as already explained, you should reverse engineer the app to get the source code (App -> Compilation -> Code; Meh, i don't know why i bother to explain this), but it heavily depends on what language was written or what compilers were used, as already explained.

On summary: Don't waste your time on this comment and read previous ones.

Reactions: Gizametalman

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thank you for commenting Autz, and yes you wasted your time because I knew that :P

But thanks anyway, I'm sure that many amateurs like myself finds interesting how Reverse Enginering works.

Reactions: Autz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself