Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The title says it all, I'm not sure if this technology/technique is available nowadays, as it seems outdated.
Yet I want to give it a try on the process.

So as far as I understand, RAREWARE used 3D Models, animated all the models and then exported the animations as bitmaps. Isn't?

My question about all this is:
Is there a modern equivalent to re create that process?
Which software is capable of such arts?

Is it even possible with a simple laptop?

D

Deleted User

You can probably do it with any 3D rendering program. You just need some way to have a transparent background on the image, whether it be rendering it with a transparent background, making the background a colour you can key out later, etc.

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you want it to look even more like Donkey Kong Country, render 3d models with a low framerate and color depth(can be also archieved by increasing the contrast of the single frames)

EDIT: also use a more primitive lightning model like phong and render to SNES sprite resolution

Last edited by catlover007,
Reactions: Deleted User

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
The question I'd ask is:
1) How good are you at 3D modelling/animation?
2) How good are you at modern game development?
3) What are the actual specs of your machine?

While software based, it is possible one way or another to create DKC style games since you just need an engine to run 2D sprites.

You can probably do it with any 3D rendering program. You just need some way to have a transparent background on the image, whether it be rendering it with a transparent background, making the background a colour you can key out later, etc.

It would be best IMO to just have no background since any attempt to remove a background could still evidence of removal (once did this with HL2 assets and a custom map).

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

It would be best IMO to just have no background since any attempt to remove a background could still evidence of removal (once did this with HL2 assets and a custom map).
I just thought I'd mention it since there are programs out there that can't render with a transparent background.

Reactions: tech3475

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb