Gaming How big can a DS game get?

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It could simply be that the game is slightly over 512Mbit, since their isn't a card inbetween.
I do remember reading somewhere that in theory the DS cards can be over 1024Mbit with a software trick.

opcode32

powerh8er par excellence
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
doesn't even need a trick. if you have a look at the developers manual you can see that in theory there is no limit for the size of a game.

sonicstorm

Gamertag: Calogero91 add me.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I was wondering because I want to get a G6 lite even though the cart is small, I was just wondering will their ever be a time that I can't fit the latest game (even if its the only thing on the cart).

leetdood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Nah, there won't be a 4gbit game for a looooooong time.
tongue.gif

TPi

One Tired Raccoon
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I had always heard that 2Gbit was the highest cart size, but opcode probably knows what he's talking about more than I do.

So either 2Gbit or no limit.
smile.gif

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The current limit is 1gbit with the technology allowed, but as with as far back as Nintendo's 8bit roots you can do stuff like they did in the day (bankswitching on NES carts) to allow for larger cart sizes that do more than the original hardware could allow for. Every cart (or in the case of DS ...card...) system made by Nintendo to date has always had a game that has gone beyond the specs due to bankswitching, new hardware, new techniques...whatever (Virtual Boy aside as it petered out.) GB itself should have done I think just 4MByte carts but Densha de Go did 8MB over there, and like the N64 didn't get larger but got new chips to allow for new stuff as did the SNES...MPEG chip (re4, pokemon puzzle league) and FX chip and about 12 others on the SNES.

ceevee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if there's new hardware in a DS cart that allows the game to do more than a regular DS is capable of (like FX chip in Starfox for SNES), then it'll prolly take awhile for the game to be patched by flashcart manufacturers.

I hope it won't be too big of a problem in the future...

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There is no reason that they can't make a bigger cart in the future. We sell 4 gig flash memory devices at Staples by Sony that are the size of a fingernail. If Nintendo wants, they can make a bigger cart. They probably just don't see a need for one yet.

wabo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's not a physical size problem jumpman, it's a matter of how much memory you can adress.

Every cart (or in the case of DS ...card...) system made by Nintendo to date has always had a game that has gone beyond the specs due to bankswitching, new hardware, new techniques...whatever

GBA didn't have a game bigger than 256 mbits.
wink.gif

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is true, but...it is possible as I read up on the thing some years ago when I used to work for Midway. It while quoted as 256mbit just like how DS is for 1gbit isn't so much as a hardware cap, but just what they're willig to offer considering the cost of manufacturing vs how much a game should cost people at retail in the end and so on and all that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Proxy sites, not very effective.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a