Hacking Honestly need to ask these two questions about rxTools 2.6 and Emunand

1Zero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
1. How did you guys fix the constant 'communication error' with rxTools 2.6 ?

Secondly,I have two Nintendo 3DS folders (I think the first one is Sysnand and the second one is Emunand).

2. Can I update my Emunand if I enter rxTools and then update via system settings ?

Lastly, I followed this guide's youtube video, completely:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/

I'd like to ask these 2 questions, just to be sure.

I thank you for your attention.

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The communication error sound like your 3DS is having problems with your internet. You have to fix your internet issue.

I recommend you to update to 9.2 and use Menuhax 2.0 + ctrbootmanager combo so you don't have to launch rxTools using the web browser.

Yes you can update emunand via system settings if you are in o3DS/2DS.

kennyhi123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The communication error sound like your 3DS is having problems with your internet. You have to fix your internet issue.

I recommend you to update to 9.2 and use Menuhax 2.0 + ctrbootmanager combo so you don't have to launch rxTools using the web browser.

The rxtool site is down.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I suggest cold boot so you dont use your browser.

1Zero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela

Okay cool and yes I'm using a old 3DS.

But, how can I update to 9.2 (specifically) and use Menuhax 2.0 + ctrbootmanager ?

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) You have to install sysupdater in sysnand.

2) Get the update package from some iso websit and place the updates folder in.the root of your SD card.

3) Run sysupdater in rxTools Dev Mode or PastaCFW with firmlaunch disabled.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Where can you download the .cia version of latest sysupdater v0.4.2b? Just see source on the github and searching doesn't help much.

1Zero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
1) You have to install sysupdater in sysnand.

2) Get the update package from some iso websit and place the updates folder in.the root of your SD card.

3) Run sysupdater in rxTools Dev Mode or PastaCFW with firmlaunch disabled.

I need to ask these following questions, because I'm completely new to this.

1. Do you just need to copy/paste the sysUpdater 0.4.1 files (from the rar) to the root of your SD card ?

2. When I'm in sysnand, will the sysUpdater appear on the Homemenu ?

3. If yes, install it, then enter rxTools and install the sysUpdater.cia with DevMenu ?

4. Is there a risk in bricking the 3DS ?

Last edited by 1Zero,

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

1. Do you just need to copy/paste the sysUpdater 0.4.1 files (from the rar) to the root of your SD card ? No you install the CIA to Sysnand

2. When I'm in sysnand, will the sysUpdater appear on the Homemenu ? If you install it

3. If yes, install it, then enter rxTools and install the sysUpdater.cia with DevMenu ? Yes

4. Is there a risk in bricking the 3DS ? Yes if you use it without enabling Dev Mode in rxTools or leaving Firmlaunch on in Pasta CFW you will brick

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

That's the latest binary, but if you look at source/main.cpp on the same site, it will say "printf("sysUpdater 0.4.2b by profi200\n\n\n");" as of 29 days ago (from today). Looks like it's just small change in the hidInit prototype, looking at the pull request, so 0.4.1 should be fine, thanks!

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

1. Do you just need to copy/paste the sysUpdater 0.4.1 files (from the rar) to the root of your SD card ?

2. When I'm in sysnand, will the sysUpdater appear on the Homemenu ?

3. If yes, install it, then enter rxTools and install the sysUpdater.cia with DevMenu ?

4. Is there a risk in bricking the 3DS ?

Sysupdater will appear in your home menu AFTER you installed it, you can use FBI/BigBlueMenu/DevMenu to install it as any normal cia

Bricks happen when people boot rxMode in sysnand and use sysupdater, you have to use DEV MODE not regular rxMode

Last edited by Tony_93,

samiam144

Régulier
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There are instructions to update to 9.0 in the tutorial you followed, however, navigating the rxtools menu is different since it was written for the newer builds.
Instructions for themehax are there too, but it hasn't been updated for the latest themehax, which is now known as menuhax.

1Zero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela

1. Do you just need to copy/paste the sysUpdater 0.4.1 files (from the rar) to the root of your SD card ? No you install the CIA to Sysnand

2. When I'm in sysnand, will the sysUpdater appear on the Homemenu ? If you install it

3. If yes, install it, then enter rxTools and install the sysUpdater.cia with DevMenu ? Yes

4. Is there a risk in bricking the 3DS ? Yes if you use it without enabling Dev Mode in rxTools or leaving Firmlaunch on in Pasta CFW you will brick

Sysupdater will appear in your home menu AFTER you installed it, you can use FBI/BigBlueMenu/DevMenu to install it as any normal cia

Bricks happen when people boot rxMode in sysnand and use sysupdater, you have to use DEV MODE not regular rxMode

There are instructions to update to 9.0 in the tutorial you followed, however, navigating the rxtools menu is different since it was written for the newer builds.
Instructions for themehax are there too, but it hasn't been updated for the latest themehax, which is now known as menuhax.

I want to thank you guys for your help/advice, but I think it's safer for me to update my emunand (via rxTools) in system settings (my nands are unlinked).

Its because I tend to screw up things that get a bit advanced.

I also found another website to boot in rxTools.

Lastly, is it possible for rxTools to be completely removed from the web ?

1Zero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Okay, I changed my mind and I want to set up rxTools 2.6 + theme/menuhax with Samiam144's guide.

But is there a way to back-up my nands or unbrick my 3DS, if I screw up ?

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I changed my mind and I want to set up rxTools 2.6 + theme/menuhax with Samiam144's guide.

But is there a way to back-up my nands or unbrick my 3DS, if I screw up ?
You can backup your Nand using the Gateway Launcher and you can restore from a brick by doing a hard mod,

1Zero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
You can backup your Nand using the Gateway Launcher and you can restore from a brick by doing a hard mod,

So, I just need to go on the Gateway website (on the 3DS) and then go to 'back-up sysnand' ?

And do you know where the hard mod tutorial is ?

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I just need to go on the Gateway website (on the 3DS) and then go to 'back-up sysnand' ?

And do you know where the hard mod tutorial is ?
As much as I like to spoon feed as the next guy all these questions you are asking have been answered hundreds of times just use the search function.

1Zero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
The guide says: ' 11. Hold L while launching rxTools to get into the rxTools menu'

Then: '12. Press DPAD RIGHT until you highlight ADVANCED OPTIONS, then press A'

I pressed DPAD RIGHT (right directional button), but i don't get ADVANCED OPTIONS.....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.