• Total voters

Chaldron

GBATemp's Official Attorney
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, this project is obsolete. Sorry. I'll leave it up for archiving purposes and such. Maybe if something else comes up later, I might make a new program for that. I personally enjoy writing programs to automate tasks. Anyways, thanks to everyone who tested, helped, or used this program. Moving forward, I'd personally recommend you guys to use Team Fail's excellent MACycle. You can find it here.
Once again, thanks guys!
For Windows-based networks
More downloads at the bottom, including XP and Debug versions!
Check the changelog for details.
Source code is available here.
This script will automatically cycle MAC addresses for those who have setup Windows-based HomePass networks. It cycles every X minutes using the addresses from here.

Requirements:

An ALREADY WORKING network. E.g you can connect to it with your 3DS and have already recieved a street pass tag. This script WILL NOT setup the network for you. For instructions on how to do that, check the second post.

Your wifi-adapter name MUST BE "Wi-Fi". You can see the screenshot here.

Instructions:

Simply download the attached zip file from the header or the attachment. Extract to any folder, and run MAC Cycle. It will ask for admin privleges, this is so it can use Macshift.

Credits:
dicamarques for the original Windows guide

The developers of Virtual Router and Macshift.

Tane for creating that awesome logo you see :)

RedHero for helping me debug it.

Sev501 for helping me fix the Atheros bug.

Note: If anyone wants to look at the code, PM me. I'll send it to you.

Changelog:

Current version: 5, 5 Max, 5 Debug, 5 XP

Debug: Outputs everything the program does. You can see step by step what is going wrong, where it's going wrong.

5 XP - the XP version for people who are using it and/or have issues connecting.

Cycles 100 MACs! Download the MAX version!

What's to come:

GUI

Attachments

• Debug v5.zip
    245.9 KB · Views: 233
  • MAC Cycle v5 Max.zip
    124 KB · Views: 438
  • MAC Cycle v5.zip
    123.3 KB · Views: 156
  • MAC Cycle XP v5.zip
    246.7 KB · Views: 156

Chaldron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See the OP!
Instructions for setting up a network on Windows
You need:
A. a computer/laptop/tablet with built-in wireless network card
or
B. a computer/laptop/tablet with a wifi USB dongle (wireless USB adapter)
Create a hosted network
1. Open a command prompt as an admin (Search CMD in start menu, right click > run as admin)
2. Type this in the command prompt window:
Code:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=attwifi key=password
You can change "password" to any password you want.​
3. Type this into the command prompt:
Code:
netsh wlan start hostednetwork
You can type this to turn off the network:
Code:
netsh wlan stop hostednetwork
and this to view the configuration:​
Code:
netsh wlan show hostednetwork
4. Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections
5. You will see a network named "attwifi" there, labeled "Local Area Connection XX". Whichever network you are using for internet (not the "attwifi) , select it. Right click and select Properties. Head over to the sharing tab and tick the first box. Select the "Local Area Connection" you saw earlier. Press OK. Back in Network Connections, select your Wi-Fi adapter (not attwifi or the ethernet connection) and rename it to "Wi-Fi". You can see the screenshot here: http://i.imgur.com/UtU3oD0.png
6. Open the 3DS and go into Internet settings. Select "attwifi" and type in your password. Close settings.​
7. Download MAC Cycle from the first post. You may choose either MAX (cycles 100) or Normal (15). Run it. It will ask you for how much time you want between MACs. The recommendation is 15. You must type it in seconds, 15 minutes = 900 seconds.​
8. Leave it running. Enjoy!​

Sev501

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I follwed these instructions exact, but my 3DS won't connect to the network :(
When testing connection, it fails to connect to the Access point

Which method are you using? So that we can provide a possible fix for you.

EDIT: Sorry got confused with the threads, lol

Anyway if you are using windows method, make sure your computer/laptop is connected to a hard wired internet connection and the wifi adapter is free.

JamiePashley

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Managed to connect my 3DS to the network now! I think it's cause my WiFi card wasen't free
I think i have another issue though. Im now running the mac cycle, and on the 3ds homescreen, it picks up the nearby Nintendo Zone hot spot, but the Nintendo Zone app, when searching for it, brings up error code 013-9202, Could not connect to the NintendoZone. why? :(

Sev501

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Managed to connect my 3DS to the network now! I think it's cause my WiFi card wasen't free
I think i have another issue though. Im now running the mac cycle, and on the 3ds homescreen, it picks up the nearby Nintendo Zone hot spot, but the Nintendo Zone app, when searching for it, brings up error code 013-9202, Could not connect to the NintendoZone. why? :(

It is working now, and yes Nin Zone App will not work on an encrypted network, so STREET pass Relay still works, you just need to wait for a TAG :D

Congrats!

JamiePashley

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Another issue XD
3ds is no longer connection to the network :S
One thing i did notice in the instructions, it says the attwifi will be Local Area Connection XX, but mine is a Wireless Network Connection. Is that an issue?
Also i thought the mac cycle is what caused the 3ds to stop connecting, so i crossed it off, but it still won't connect

Sev501

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Another issue XD
3ds is no longer connection to the network :S
One thing i did notice in the instructions, it says the attwifi will be Local Area Connection XX, but mine is a Wireless Network Connection. Is that an issue?
Also i thought the mac cycle is what caused the 3ds to stop connecting, so i crossed it off, but it still won't connect

attwifi would be the virtual wifi port that the "netsh wlan set hostednetowork mode=allow ssid=attwifi key=1234" command would produce, and your physical wifi card should be renamed as WiFi so it would be changed by the changer.

JamiePashley

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is what it looks like before i start (Step0)
Step0.png

Then after step 2, netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=attwifi key=password (step 2)
Step2.png

I then start the hostednetwork (step3)
step3.png

Here's my cmd incase it proves usefu
l
cmd.png

Then i share my Local Area Connection with my Wireless Network Connection 2 (Wi-Fi)
Local Area Connection Properties.png

I turn on the 3DS, on the homepage it detects a Nintendo Zone Network, i open up settings, Internet settings, Connection settings, New Connection, Manual Setup, Search for Access Point, Click attwifi, enter password, it tests the connection, and works. Goes back to home screen, Nintendo Zone is Picked up. Turn off 3DS. Start Mac Cycle. enter 900 seconds, appears to change MAC successfully. Turn on 3DS. Nintendo Zone Found. 3DS states Wireless is enable, and connected to streetpass. Close 3DS and wait.

JamiePashley

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
netsh wlan show hosted networks is showing that the number of connected clients is 0, and if i now try to do a connection test... it fails,being unable to access the connection point

nekoakuma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey mate, I've gotten everything set up and can get SP by manually changing my MAC address, but I can't get the cycler to work.

Win7
Wired PC with Wifi USB (Netgear WNA3100)

Basically what happens is:
-Run Cycler v4, wait x mins to see if any tags. Nothing.

-Manually change MAC on 'Wi-Fi' adapter, and instantly get a tag.

But have to change mac, restart hostednetwork, etc manually each time.

HMTKSteve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I try to initiate the internet connection sharing I get an error about a service not running and the adapters not running as services blah, blaah blah... Any ideas? I can post actual error message later.

Suffice to say my computer does not want to let me share my internet connection.

Chaldron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I try to initiate the internet connection sharing I get an error about a service not running and the adapters not running as services blah, blaah blah... Any ideas? I can post actual error message later.

Suffice to say my computer does not want to let me share my internet connection.

Yeah, post the messsage.

Also, updating, because the script is outdated and points to old information.

Chaldron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
netsh wlan show hosted networks is showing that the number of connected clients is 0, and if i now try to do a connection test... it fails,being unable to access the connection point

So earlier it was working? You should be able to StreetPass, even if NZone is not working. Confirm you've started the hosted network, and share your ethernet connection with the one that was created by starting it (attwifi).

If it doesn't work, can you try making sure you are on at least v4? Also, after the program cycles a new MAC, the 3DS will disconnect. I've found that it reconnects within 1 minute, but YMMV.

Chaldron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey mate, I've gotten everything set up and can get SP by manually changing my MAC address, but I can't get the cycler to work.

Win7
Wired PC with Wifi USB (Netgear WNA3100)

Basically what happens is:
-Run Cycler v4, wait x mins to see if any tags. Nothing.

-Manually change MAC on 'Wi-Fi' adapter, and instantly get a tag.

But have to change mac, restart hostednetwork, etc manually each time.

so after running macshift manually, you also have to start the hosted network again? Then it should work, because my script starts the network again too. Are you taking any other steps? I noticed the "etc.". I'd be happy to compile you a separate version which works for you.

MisoSoup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just want to say, this works beautifully following your instructions. Thanks for your service, we all appreciate it!

By the way, is there a way you could show which MAC address has been swapped in when the prompt "The (first/second/third/fourth...) MAC Address has now been swapped in"? It may be useful to see which MAC address is being connected to for those who have connected to specific MAC addresses throughout the day, and would like to skip those they have connected to. Maybe a pause button (P?), so we can let the floodgates loose when they're full.

Not sure how you programmed this, but it's an excellent application regardless!

Chaldron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just want to say, this works beautifully following your instructions. Thanks for your service, we all appreciate it!

By the way, is there a way you could show which MAC address has been swapped in when the prompt "The (first/second/third/fourth...) MAC Address has now been swapped in"? It may be useful to see which MAC address is being connected to for those who have connected to specific MAC addresses throughout the day, and would like to skip those they have connected to. Maybe a pause button (P?), so we can let the floodgates loose when they're full.

Not sure how you programmed this, but it's an excellent application regardless!

I used Windows' batch programming. As for seeing which MACs, I can compile a debug version if you like, which outputs everything. Not sure if pause is available in batch scripting, but when we get a GUI i'll look into it.

thanks for the feed back!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well, after a day of pain, i'm gonna catch some zs