• Views 804,314
  • Replies 1,173
  • Likes 98

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I install the homebrew channel on the wiiU menu. No I'm not talking about the viiwii. And without using a game

From the OP (read it and then ask any questions you may have):

1. Download and extract the channel version to sd:/install/ (pur your .app files here, not the .zip)
2. run a custom firmware (fw.img for sysNAND or redNAND) with signature patch enabled. The custom firmware needs to be from Nov 18, 2016 or newer.
3. Use WUP installer or WUP Server with install() command to install the Homebrew channel package on a signature patched firmware.

4. To launch the installed Homebrew Launcher, run your fw.bin again and select the homebrew launcher from your WiiU home menu.

:!: NOTE: To install the channel version you need a SPECIFIC fw.img, do not use an existing and previously compiled fw.img, you need to get the newest Dimok's branch and compile with "make cfw" to get the proper fw.img for sysNAND or "make redNAND" to get a proper fw.img for redNAND with The homebrew Launcher compatibility.
If you don't use the correct fw.img, you will get an installation error!

imm0rtalz16_2006

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From the OP (read it and then ask any questions you may have):

1. Download and extract the channel version to sd:/install/ (pur your .app files here, not the .zip)
2. run a custom firmware (fw.img for sysNAND or redNAND) with signature patch enabled. The custom firmware needs to be from Nov 18, 2016 or newer.
3. Use WUP installer or WUP Server with install() command to install the Homebrew channel package on a signature patched firmware.

4. To launch the installed Homebrew Launcher, run your fw.bin again and select the homebrew launcher from your WiiU home menu.

:!: NOTE: To install the channel version you need a SPECIFIC fw.img, do not use an existing and previously compiled fw.img, you need to get the newest Dimok's branch and compile with "make cfw" to get the proper fw.img for sysNAND or "make redNAND" to get a proper fw.img for redNAND with The homebrew Launcher compatibility.
If you don't use the correct fw.img, you will get an installation error!
DO you have all the files I need

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DO you have all the files I need

Yes. But I don't think this is going to accomplish what you want it to. You will be able to install the HBL title to the home screen but you won't be able to launch it without applying sigpatching. In other words you'll have to use the browser exploit to launch Homebrew Launcher, load CFW or the new sigpatching .elf, and only then will you be able to launch HBL from the Wii U menu. If you want a Homebrew Channel that works like it does on the Wii you need Haxchi which requires purchasing one of the compatible games.

Reactions: Reid_Dead

bigdadblair

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How do I install the homebrew channel on the wiiU menu. No I'm not talking about the viiwii. And without using a game
Dl the install files load your CFW, got back to homebrew launcher 1.4 , load wupinstaller(NOT y mod) and install game( will only work with CFW loaded). Least thats how I think I did it.

Haymose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I totally did not compile my own fw.img and I was still able to install the Homebrew channel and it works. Is there a disadvantage to this?

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I totally did not compile my own fw.img and I was still able to install the Homebrew channel and it works. Is there a disadvantage to this?

Not really. If it works, it works. The fw.img that is compiled by Bob will be the same as the fw.img compiled by Jim. I guess there's the disadvantage of having to rely on somebody else to compile new firmware if new features are released and in knowing when the fw.img was compiled. I downloaded the fw.img files at first but I when I decided I wanted to do coldboothax I compiled it myself because I couldn't find it online. I'm glad I did because now I have the ability to compile a new fw.img if a new version with more features is released. It seemed a little daunting when I read the guide but it was actually super easy. When Dimok's new sigpatching .elf becomes more stable that might be a better way to go as it will be able to be updated more easily.

imm0rtalz16_2006

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why does loadiine take a long time to load past the wiiU menu and then finally load the homebrew channel via website it stays on the wiiU menu for a few minutes

Ghassen-ga

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey cyan, so loadiine doesn't work using the channel version of hbl, it just brings me back to the hbl any idea why?
Edit: nvm I only read the limitation part now.

Last edited by Ghassen-ga,

C0mm4nd_

Aspirant Wii U homebrew dev :P
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Italy
For those with black screens on load
1-Put homebrew_launcher folder with the homebrew_launcher.rpx
2-You can decrypt and put the homebrew_launcher.rpx into the code folder. Then encrypt with a random key

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hey cyan, so loadiine doesn't work using the channel version of hbl, it just brings me back to the hbl any idea why?
Edit: nvm I only read the limitation part now.
Exit from HBC and go into MiiMaker
HBC for now only injects

RedRose30

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have the latest 5.5.1 update (I had to delete my internet and connect to it again and forgot to block auto updates). I have 1.4 homebrew launcher and I got it to work after deleting the apps I had before, but now whenever I try it with the apps back it stays stuck at the white screen without even going into homebrew.

Can someone tell me how to fix this? I actually did get it to work with apps once, so why is it a white screen every time I load it?

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have the latest 5.5.1 update (I had to delete my internet and connect to it again and forgot to block auto updates). I have 1.4 homebrew launcher and I got it to work after deleting the apps I had before, but now whenever I try it with the apps back it stays stuck at the white screen without even going into homebrew.

Can someone tell me how to fix this? I actually did get it to work with apps once, so why is it a white screen every time I load it?
You should just try going into the settings of the browser and deleting history. Other than that, sometimes it will freeze at a white screen, that's actually normal and the only solution is to try again. With the haxchi install, though, it works 100% of the time, I think.

Reactions: RedRose30

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You should just try going into the settings of the browser and deleting history. Other than that, sometimes it will freeze at a white screen, that's actually normal and the only solution is to try again. With the haxchi install, though, it works 100% of the time, I think.
It does work 100% of the time.
Only issue I've had with it is the -3 problem but I think it is because of the constant in/out of the SD card I was doing to put apps in everyday.
If I use FTPii with it, you won't have any issues.

Reactions: dronesplitter

SoraXL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It does work 100% of the time.
Only issue I've had with it is the -3 problem but I think it is because of the constant in/out of the SD card I was doing to put apps in everyday.
If I use FTPii with it, you won't have any issues.
i was getting -5 printed on the screen

RedRose30

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks for the response. So what exactly is the haxchi install?

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the response. So what exactly is the haxchi install?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/haxchi-v2-0-a-persistent-wiiu-hack.451071/

It requires a DS VC game (the list is on the github but you can use Brain Age, Mario Kart, NSMB, etc.) to be purchased and installed to your system memory. Then, you put the necessary install files onto your SD card, run the internet browser to get homebrew loader launched, then just follow the directions to install haxchi, which then replaces the DS game with the hombrew loader right there on the system menu. Pretty easy, and a no brainer as long as you are alright purchasing a DS game for the more convenient hombrew access.

Reactions: RedRose30

Leeful

GBAtemp Member
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by Leeful,

pazzoeo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So, I'm a total noob to this, I created this account just to ask this question and I'm really sorry to bother you, but I have a problem with the channel version. When I boot it, I just get a black screen. Is it because I don't use redNAND?
What are the advantages and the disadvantages anyway?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: