Homebrew Homebrew Discussion Thread

Schaapje82

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I just downloaded a few of the apps to try them out but I can't the iPod-thingy to work. Well, actually, it DOES work, I CAN play music, but i do not see the button at the bottom screen and the text in the upper screen is pretty much unreadable... Anyone got a tip? The homepage is down so I can't go there for help.

Sweater Fish Del

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, thanks! I can't believe I'd never heard of Pocket Physics. Looks really cool.

However, I think you missed a few really great games such as Word Up!, Spout DS, Plop Invaders, New Caisse DS, Kongregate (also included as part of the Mental Games comp), DiceWars, AmplituDS, Closed, Gioioso! (only works on slot-2 carts unfortunately), No Place To Hide, SquareDS and Rudolph Steady GO!

I could go on and on, actually. I think there's tons of great homebrew on the DS, but these ones are definitely the A+ titles that deserve attention along with the ones you already mentioned.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Phidias has been around for a while. It precedes Colors! as a DS Drawing app.
Colors was really basic when it was first released, its frequent updates kept it in the spotlight rather than Phidias, which launched with a lot of those functions already in place. Phidias does look more professional. Personally that's why I don't like it as much; Phidias feels a little cold to me but they both do the same job, it's really a matter of personal taste as to which one you prefer.

It's nice to see someone supporting the less well-known program but I share Elfgirl's suprise that Colors was missed off the list completely, especially on a list designed to be a starting point for new users. That's not to complain about your efforts, it's a bloody good list
smile.gif

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks Urza!
bow.gif

Been anticipating this for a while (don't ask how I know!)
tongue.gif

Sure should have payed attention to DS Homebrew, as it's changed my mind - there really are some decent Homebrew games and apps (I retract my statement, Costello).

Downloading a bunch of that to a special new folder on my memory card 'Homebrew'
smile.gif

Must've been some of these cryptic messages he left around on IRC.
Great article Urza, I'm amazed at the quality of homebrew out there and will try some right now.

hollabackitsobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I'm the only one who's tried all of these out before? Man, you guys should use the carts for what they're REALLY meant for, right? lol

Urza

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
However, I think you missed a few really great games such as Word Up!, Spout DS, Plop Invaders, New Caisse DS, Kongregate (also included as part of the Mental Games comp), DiceWars, AmplituDS, Closed, Gioioso! (only works on slot-2 carts unfortunately), No Place To Hide, SquareDS and Rudolph Steady GO
There were quite a few other games and apps that definitely do deserve some recognition, but this particular article I wanted to keep a manageable size, as it really isn't meant to be the "comprehensive list of all good homebrew", but more of a spotlight on what I feel is the best. As time goes on I may increase the size as new stuff is released.

Anyways, thanks for all the feedback!

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just downloaded a few of the apps to try them out but I can't the iPod-thingy to work. Well, actually, it DOES work, I CAN play music, but i do not see the button at the bottom screen and the text in the upper screen is pretty much unreadable... Anyone got a tip? The homepage is down so I can't go there for help.
If you got the latest alpha, then you need to create a lmp-ng folder on the root of your card, put a "skins" folder in that, and add at least one skin. I can upload a mirror of a couple of the skins if you'd like.

Urza

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please digg the article to get us some free publicity!

http://digg.com/nintendo/Best_DS_Homebrew_of_All_Time

QUOTE said:
If you got the latest alpha, then you need to create a lmp-ng folder on the root of your card, put a "skins" folder in that, and add at least one skin. I can upload a mirror of a couple of the skins if you'd like.
Also, make sure the entire zip archive of the skin is copied over, and not extracted.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I guess I'm the only one who's tried all of these out before? Man, you guys should use the carts for what they're REALLY meant for, right? lol

man i love my homebrew too. i only hadn't tried two of them (which had functions i wasn't so interested in).

i know of some more aesome homebrew out there too, but this list is pretty good and it'd be useless to make it too big.

Not sure what the best font is for DSReader?
haha, i wouldn't mind knowing your opinion on this at all
wink.gif
Personally I find this combo to be best: regular Arial font, size 10, standard style, black background. If you want to use something other than standard style, use subpixel with either medium or dark contrast. I read a several-hundred-page book comfortably with this config.
i see, thanks for the input.
i'd also like to hear some other peoples opniions too, because there must be better fonts designed with small screens in mind.

fryfrog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure you aren't going back and editing stuff... but I think DS Linux and NetHack DS deserve mention as well. I've heard of most of these, but didn't get off my lazy ass to download them. Now I am really looking forward to trying a few of them out, especially Doom and Quake!

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I absolutely love homebrew.
I don't know if it's the fact that the applications aren't made by commericial developers, or what else. Homebrew has pretty much entertained me up to now.

No worthy DS titles have come out since around the release of UMK3. :'(

I've been playing with my 3 in 1 and SNEmulDS/nesDS this whole time.

So yes.. GBA still > DS

~Nero

wiithepeople

^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey here's a question: in MegaETK there are 2 .nds files, one that just says "MegaETK 1.03.nds" and one that says "MegaETK 1.03(no FAT).nds". What does no FAT mean, and which should I put on my microSD? Thanks

edit: oh and one more question: in Lemmings there are all these folders other than the .nds file: graphics, levels, music, etc. All of the folders have a ton of files, except "graphics" which has nothing in it. What do I do with these folders? Do I just put them on the root of my microSD, and put the .nds file in my "homebrew games" folder?

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey here's a question: in MegaETK there are 2 .nds files, one that just says "MegaETK 1.03.nds" and one that says "MegaETK 1.03(no FAT).nds". What does no FAT mean, and which should I put on my microSD? Thanks

The (MegaETK 1.03.nds) should be the one your using.
The (NoFAT) version is for Flashcarts that don't have a Filesystem. Like the EZFlash 3 in 1.

~Nero

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1