FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Le Rodeur over at playeradvance.org has released an early version of a Diablo 2 remake. Presently you are only able to control a sorceress over an infinite map using the dpad.

screenmy5.png

Playeradvance thread

Thanks to Mr. Noid for the heads up.

------------------------------
Off topic.
Anyone waiting for a single player Diablo experience for the PC could do far worse than check out the recently released Fate - Undiscovered Realms.
------------------------------

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Interesting...I'd figure that Diablo 1 would give an easier experience as a whole, but whatever.

I wonder what all's going to be cut from the game since the full game install is pretty friggin' huge. This probably won't use MPQs I'm sure, or...something.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very cool! I hope whomever is working on it keeps at it. This would be one to really please many folks (myself included).

blahman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh dear. people never seem to learn. when blizzard get hold of this news, they'll send out C&D before you can say "Holy Superlatives, Batman!"

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
blahman said:
oh dear. people never seem to learn. when blizzard get hold of this news, they'll send out C&D before you can say "Holy Superlatives, Batman!"
If that were the case, places like PhrozenKeep would have been shut down years ago. Granted, this isn't a mod, but...

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, this has my attention. I don't know about how well homebrew ports due (from my exp... not very well
tongue.gif
) But i'll have my hopes set high
smile.gif

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This will probably end up like most of the other ones, about 1% worked on, then the project gets abandoned.
Sorry for sounding like a pessimist, since most of these projects are worked on by people in their free time and I do respect that.
But if you only intend to do a small update (or for just a period of time) on it then just abandon it, I would prefer that they never mention it in the first place.

I would much rather prefer them having a semi working title and then announce it. Rather than just posting a sprite, working d-pad movements and
then release it.

This is something I admire from the NeoDS creator, he worked on it for a full year without ever mentioning it. When he thought the product
was good enough for the public, he released it. Now that's commitment.

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
Hah, sorry to rain on you parade but a simple demo like that takes maximum of one hour to code and if the author was serious about this, he wouldn't have shown anything at this point ... No offense, though, all of us wannabe-coders have gone through that phase. Four years back, when I was 13, I have set up a whole website with forums and mailing list before even reading the first C tutorial. Needless to say, the game I wanted to make never worked out.
shy.gif

wynsezhello

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
wow, i always wanted a diablo game on the ds. people say its doomed from the start but i do hope it will be at least playable.

but when blizzard finds out about this, maybe that will give them the impression that people might like a portable diablo.

but then again, considering how long it took for them to tease us with D3 and starcraft 2, that is pretty much doomed as well.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Minox_IX said:
Blizzard will never allow this to be finished....

Fairly certain Blizzard couldn't do shit about it, nor would they want to. First of all, as a homebrew game, this game is likely to never even be so much as a blip on their radar. Second, so long as the game wasn't sold or mass distributed for commercial purposes, the coder has the right to tinker `til the cows come home -- at least in the U.S. he/she does.

In any case, if Blizzard cared about this sort of thing, they'd have swallowed up DotA a long, long time ago. DotA probably has more of a fanbase than 80 percent of other prominent online games today, and it's a user-made map from WC3: TFT. Trust me, Blizzard doesn't give a rat's ass about us playing in our treehouse.

PikaPika

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
irpacynot said:
Minox_IX said:

Fairly certain Blizzard couldn't do shit about it, nor would they want to. First of all, as a homebrew game, this game is likely to never even be so much as a blip on their radar. Second, so long as the game wasn't sold or mass distributed for commercial purposes, the coder has the right to tinker `til the cows come home -- at least in the U.S. he/she does.

In any case, if Blizzard cared about this sort of thing, they'd have swallowed up DotA a long, long time ago. DotA probably has more of a fanbase than 80 percent of other prominent online games today, and it's a user-made map from WC3: TFT. Trust me, Blizzard doesn't give a rat's ass about us playing in our treehouse.
So why did they shut down Starlite?

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
pikadude1006 said:
So why did they shut down Starlite?
After reading up about it...I'm slightly confused.

Mods are taking the files used in the creation (or at least the running) of the games and alters them, and to me that sounds just a little bit on the illegal side. You know, modifying intellectual property, etc. I'm not sure where ports or homebrew ports or whatnot fall under, but like with the thread here some time ago talking about Chrono Trigger Resurrection, the general idea is "it's their intellectual property therefore they can do whatever they want with it."

What I don't understand is how mods haven't been closed down. Sure, they generate interest in the game, but it's not the same as the base game, and even then they're still on shaky legal ground with editing those files and altering the product.

Anyone with lawyering smarts care to chip in here?

EmeraldEx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
irpacynot said:
Minox_IX said:

Yeeeeeeeah, no.

Blizzard could cease and desist them if they choose, I believe, since they're using their IP to make a free version of one of their commerical products.

Also, DotA is different, 1. because it's a map, not a game, 2. because you need to have Blizzard's product to play it in the first place.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte