Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What about spliting the current forum into 2 subforums
"3DS - Hacking & Homebrew Support"
"3DS - Hacking & Homebrew Development"
would also help with WiiU

Great idea. Instead of "Support" perhaps use the broader "Discussion". Well-received homebrew should then be stickied so the dev can keep the OP up to date with the most current version, mini-FAQ, etc.

I can't wait for fullblown homebrew to start on 3DS. It's kind of silly (don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome hence I use it) that I have to run a PSP-centric GBA emulator running on a DSTWO flashcard in DS-mode...

wjkang1026

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi!
I'm a new member in the Forum here.
I'm a bit lazy reading all the 89 pages of this relentless thread, but from what I understood a 3ds emulator will be avaible and properly working soon, right?

I just wanted to ask if I will be able to play the upcoming Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby on Mac, as my latest version of console is Dsi XL. I am not willing to pay couple hundreds just to play the remake of the game I grew up with. :)

Thanks in advance

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi!
I'm a bit lazy reading all the 89 pages of this relentless thread, but from what I understood a 3ds emulator will be avaible and properly working soon, right?

I just wanted to ask if I will be able to play the upcoming Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby on Mac, as my latest version of console is Dsi XL. I am not willing to pay couple hundreds just to play the remake of the game I grew up with. :)

Thanks in advance

If by soon you mean 5 years at the earliest, and maybe 7-10 for games to be actually playable, then yes. That's a very optimistic look at it though. Could just be never.

YourNerdyJoe

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
yournerdyjoe.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Hi!

Thanks in advance

The emulators in development now will be for homebrew only. Commercial rom support won't be available anytime in the near future.

wjkang1026

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If by soon you mean 5 years at the earliest, and maybe 7-10 for games to be actually playable, then yes. That's a very optimistic look at it though. Could just be never.
May I have a brief explanation of why creating a 3ds emulator far more sophisticated than GBA's?
And to play Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, do I have to buy both console and game?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
May I have a brief explanation of why creating a 3ds emulator far more sophisticated than GBA's?
And to play Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, do I have to buy both console and game?
Security has progressed since gba times, roms are encrypted etc etc, a lot of the 3ds software has to be completely understood before an emulator can be made, current emulators are working on what's known which is pretty much the basics....which is why only homebrew is playable as they are based on the same basic info as what has been figured out so far

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
as you didn't read, you probably misunderstood which emulator we were talking.
the current emulator we are talking about Is not a 3DS emulator, but a NES emulator running on 3DS, called 3DNES.

But there are two (maybe soon 3) 3DS emulators in development. At least, 3 that were announced here, maybe some devs on other place/forum are working on their own emulator too.
The current emulators are emulating ARM cores, not the 3DS. it can reproduce what the ARM chipset does, and by doing this you can analyze and test your homebrew code, but it can't run retail games.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Why does 3dNES look better than the actual VC released by Nintendo? I have noticed that the pixels are very blurry on the VC version. I was under the impression that the 3ds might not have enough pixels so Nintendo had scaled them down, I guess this is not the case.

Just loving the potential of 3dNES!!!

Nintendo uses a blur effect on all VC titles, I never knew why but it's true,
even the GBA games from ambassador program suffer from this.
Another thing that all VC titles, including GBA ones suffer is excessive brightness.
This happens because the screens of nowadays are much better
and them some colors wouldn't be displayed the way the devs initially intended, especially black.
This way they try to make you have a feeling closer than what it would be playing on original hardware.

For me, all of this is stupid, also, it would be much more pleasent to play the games without any of these stupid filters.

Reactions: Nightwish

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
GBA VC on the 3DS incorporates 2 filters. One is an upscale filter if you choose not to have a pixel-perfect image. The other is ghosting. On the original hardware, this was not a feature, but is a side-effect of the LCD screen used at that time, and it is being forced on the 3DS, likely by enabling the system's capture unit. It is beyond my understanding why they chose to do this when it makes the image in motion worse.

Tybus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there any support for random number while using the gcc compiler?

I mean the devkitpro... In common words, how to get random numbers on C with this.

Ryft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over